Author Topic: HDHomeRun DVB-T version....  (Read 20163 times)

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
HDHomeRun DVB-T version....
« on: February 18, 2009, 12:55:59 am »
Given that the DVB version is now available (albeit quiet expensive!) is getting support for it just a matter of creating a device template, or will it require recoding of the driver and LMCE wrapper part? (assuming it is implemented as a DCE device... should have checked before posting, will go have a look now :) )

Edit: Oops, doesn't implement DCE... hmmm...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 01:00:31 am by colinjones »

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
Re: HDHomeRun DVB-T version....
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 01:06:40 am »
is it finally available? It was announced for years..
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 01:54:47 am »
Yes, its available in Australia for AU$299 (AU$249 on special this month only!), and I am aware of some people that have already taken delivery in Sydney. Apparently, it is also available in the UK, but the price of GBP189 seems extremely high... perhaps Totallymaxed knows something more about that in the UK?

lemming86_au

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Josh Hagger
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 02:34:20 am »
Fantastic, about time.

Do you know where in Australia these can be purchased from?

Regards,
Josh

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 02:35:02 am »
You can get that info at www.hdhomerun.com.au

lemming86_au

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Josh Hagger
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 02:37:04 am »
Great, thanks for that.
I've been keeping an eye on www.silicondust.com, but that still says coming soon.

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 02:57:04 am »
I read some comments on the Silicondust forums that they are not working with MythTV yet. Don't know if same issues are found with VDR. Might be worth holding off for a bit.

These would be a lot more attractive if they had an aerial pass through or even just one antenna input instead of two.

Colin - if these units implement the same API as the US ones then the HDHomeRun code should in theory be fine - the template may just need extending to recognise these units (perhaps).

lemming86_au

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Josh Hagger
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 03:03:36 am »
I just purchased one, so I will let you know how it goes when I receive it.

Ray_N

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Your Plan B!
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 03:55:51 am »
Very nice!   
    Looks like a cool device...now what does this mean for the pcHDTV card? At first glance it looks like they serve the same purpose for us LMCE people (may be a great stand-alone solution for people without LMCE).

Now, if we had a situation where the cableTV cables were in say...the basement, but we want the Hybrid/Core in the third floor would this device be the solution, instead of having to re-route the cableTV cables to the Hybrid/Core up on the third floor.

Also, since the HDHomeRun device has two inputs, could this same thing be accomplished with two pcHDTV cards in LMCE?

lemming86_au

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Josh Hagger
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 04:18:29 am »
Ray,

Two PCI cards would do the same job (or a dual tuner card), but there are very few DVB-T cards currently supported, so its less of a gamble & certainly more versatile than a PCI card

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 04:25:13 am »
Very nice!   
    Looks like a cool device...now what does this mean for the pcHDTV card? At first glance it looks like they serve the same purpose for us LMCE people (may be a great stand-alone solution for people without LMCE).

Now, if we had a situation where the cableTV cables were in say...the basement, but we want the Hybrid/Core in the third floor would this device be the solution, instead of having to re-route the cableTV cables to the Hybrid/Core up on the third floor.

Also, since the HDHomeRun device has two inputs, could this same thing be accomplished with two pcHDTV cards in LMCE?

This is a DVB device, given that you are in PR, it won't be of any use to you. The ATSC equivalent has been available for a long time... that one is currently supported pnp in LMCE, the DVB one is not (so lemming is going over the cliff on this one :) )

lemming86_au

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Josh Hagger
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 04:34:00 am »
Sorry about that, probably shouldn't skim read  ;D

Ray_N

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Your Plan B!
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 04:40:12 am »
hehehe...Thanks...I guess I should have done my homework too...I had no idea what DVB-T was. Quick google led me to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVB-T  Very nice world map at the bottom. Now I know we use ATSC...  ;D

Thanks guys,
R

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 05:07:15 am »
Sorry about that, probably shouldn't skim read  ;D

That's OK lemming, you can be the pioneer and add support for us DVB/VDR users!

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 08:51:37 am »
I have been using the HDHomeRun plug and play with LinuxMCE for a long time. They are fantastic devices, with very solid tuners (two of them), and they just work.

What will need to happen is to see what the differences are operationally between the ATSC and DVB versions to see if they can be folded into our existing scripts and packages that we install for HDHomeRun support.

-Thom