Author Topic: USBUIRT How Many Devices Can it Control  (Read 5067 times)

NicCOConnor

• View Profile
USBUIRT How Many Devices Can it Control
« on: February 16, 2009, 11:04:42 pm »
I'm spec'ing out my HTPC system and home automation. One thing that I would like to do is control all of my AV devices. like anyone else :-) I have a lot of different components that I'd like to control, Stero, DVD, DVD Recorder, Satelite Box, I'm sure there's something else.

I've been searching the forums and the Wiki and I can't find a whole lot of information on a system that will control all of my devices. So I'm looking for some guidance. I understand the USBUIRT is a great prodoct that works well with LinuxMCE and it's also an IR Reciver and Transmitter.

So My question is how many devices can it control. All devices will be in the same room but in a compartmentalized cabnet. So I'm not sure there will be line of sight for all IR windows. Can the USBUIRT control more then one device(If it's mounted in a place that has line of sight) or will I need to purchase an array of IR emmiters, to control different devices. If I do need some sort of Array what would be a good product.

Thanks

Nic

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: USBUIRT How Many Devices Can it Control
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 11:15:52 pm »
You can control as many devices as you like provided that you have good line of sight to each of them. You can use optional IR buds to get "in front of" more devices, these are like extenders that you can afix directly to the IR receiver. Just note that if you have 2 identical devices (or just 2 devices that use the same IR codeset) then you cannot distinguish between the 2 and that means more USBUIRTs and a bit of extra work getting the isolation right). Also, investigate other control options first, IR is the control of last resort as it is not as reliable as other methods nor is it bidirectional, both of which can cause difficulties.

If you have serial control, USB or ethernet, those are well worth investigating first.

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 03:03:35 am »
The USB-UIRT has support for three transmitting zones. I don't thing linuxMCE explicitly supports these zones but the point is that the componentry is meant to work with the built-in transmitting LED and two additional transmitting LEDs which can be positioned whereever you like.

I don't think you would have major issues running two additional transmitting LEDs in parallel. You would get less power out of each but in a cabinet situation that may not be a problem.

linuxMCE transmits the same signal to all transmitting LEDs (ie; all zones) as far as I am aware - therefore you need to be careful that a signal meant for one device doesn't interfere with another. This is easy enough to check with your current remotes.

I think with a single cabinet of components and a single USB-UIRT you should be OK. You will just need to work out the logistics around how many 'extender' LEDs you might need, if any. Keep in mind that IR can be reflected quite effectively so if you have glass cabinet then you may be able to send the signal from the inside towards the cabinet door and get success. You will need to experiment.
Adding LEDs is quite straightforward and they are just wired to a normal headphone jack. If you use a stereo one then it will represent two zones as mentioned above.

HTH
Darren

Pablo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 06:19:16 am »
Has anyone hooked up two USBUIRT's to the same machine?

NicCOConnor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 03:18:54 pm »
Thanks guys that was exactly the information I was looking for! I'll be getting one of those today :-)

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 04:47:28 pm »
Has anyone hooked up two USBUIRT's to the same machine?

From what i understand, this will only screw things up. You can only have 1 per machine. I did something similar to what darrenmason recommends in that I used 1 usb_uirt to control av devices in three rooms. All the rooms had different equipment which is essentially why it worked. I dont recommend it simply because if you have two of the same cable box, it becomes useless as it sends out the ir codes to all emitters.

hth,
golgoj4
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 06:00:09 pm »
 :)
I have 1 USB-UIRT on the living room MD.
It controls:
1. Dish receiver 1
2. Dish receiver 2
3. RCA A/V receiver
4. Netflix Roku Player
5. 42" Projection TV
6. X10 IR receiver

1 in the Playroom
1. Phillips (Barbie) DVD player
2. Fisher VCR
3. RCA 20" TV

1 in the ManCave
1. Optimus A/V Receiver
2. Optimus IR switched Powered Sub-Woofer
3. RCA VCR

These are all stand-alone. No IR dongles plugged into the back. using the x86 fix in the wiki http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/USB-UIRT_x86_Fix - which is required to get it to blast under its own power with the x86 version of 710(insert beta or RC number here)

So I have a bunch of stuff on the living room MD. All controlled by a single USB-UIRT, no dongles.
However, dongle-blasters dual headed or single headed are recommended for optimal performance.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

Ray_N

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Your Plan B!
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 08:14:59 pm »
The USB-UIRT has support for three transmitting zones. I don't thing linuxMCE explicitly supports these zones but the point is that the componentry is meant to work with the built-in transmitting LED and two additional transmitting LEDs which can be positioned whereever you like.
Adding LEDs is quite straightforward and they are just wired to a normal headphone jack. If you use a stereo one then it will represent two zones as mentioned above.

Pardon my ignorance Darren, but could you shed some more light on this. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "adding LEDs...wired to a normal headphone jack".

- Does the USBUIRT have a headphone jack? I haven't seen one.
- If I connect an LED to a headphone jack on a system (LinuxMCE HTPC, DVD, VCR) how will that help USBUIRT control it?
- Would the additional LEDs become IR receivers , or IR emitters? I suppose you mean emitters, since you mention that "the USB-UIRT has support for three transmitting zones". But if they are connected to other systems, how is the USBUIRT control them?
Confused...  :-\

Thanks,
Ray

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 08:21:31 pm »
 ;)
The back of the USB-UIRT has a single 1/8" (3.5mm) jack to plug in an external blaster dongle. It looks like a headphone jack, but it is specifically not.

Plugging IR dongles into your AV gear headphone jacks will do nothing for you. The jack just looks like a "headphone" jack on the back. Just a small hole, but you can plug in a dual-headed IR dongle.

View the image here, you will see what he is referring to: http://www.usbuirt.com/overview.htm

and this will be an example of the blaster dongle: http://www.smarthome.com/8171/Xantech-Dual-Stick-On-IR-Emitter-284M/p.aspx

This is the way they recommend controlling 2 devices, although I have never needed one, and my core controls 6 devices. But this is the recommended/supported way.

Hope that helps clear things up.

Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

Ray_N

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Your Plan B!
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 08:45:56 pm »
Excellent...
  Thanks for that Seth...

R

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 09:15:54 pm »

Pardon my ignorance Darren, but could you shed some more light on this. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "adding LEDs...wired to a normal headphone jack".

- Does the USBUIRT have a headphone jack? I haven't seen one.
- If I connect an LED to a headphone jack on a system (LinuxMCE HTPC, DVD, VCR) how will that help USBUIRT control it?
- Would the additional LEDs become IR receivers , or IR emitters? I suppose you mean emitters, since you mention that "the USB-UIRT has support for three transmitting zones". But if they are connected to other systems, how is the USBUIRT control them?
Confused...  :-\

Thanks,
Ray

He did not mean use 'any old mini-jack socket'... what Darren was referring to was that some MCE IR Tranceivers support the use of a stereo jack in each of the two mini--jack sockets on the back of the transceiver enclosure. Each of these mini-jacks can accept a dual 'tail' cable with two emitters... one at the end of each 'tail'. These IR tails can then be placed in front of (or attached to) the device you want to control giving you much more reliable IR to each device.

I'm not sure if the USB-UIRT supports using dual 'tail' leads though.

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 10:11:59 pm »
Questions have already been answered but here is a link that might help...

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7130&stc=1&d=1220727252

jimmejames

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 11:33:21 pm »
FYI-  for those of you with a Tivo, or know someone that has one, you may see if you/they have these laying around.  My series 2 came with a dual head emitter that works excellent with my usbuirt.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 12:11:46 am »
Yes, the UIRT supports dual tails just fine. If you need more, attach a Xantech connector block and attach multiple emitters and a PSU to it.

-Thom