Author Topic: Atom 330 (D945GCLF2 ) and Touchscreens  (Read 4884 times)

AutomateMe

• View Profile
Atom 330 (D945GCLF2 ) and Touchscreens
« on: February 12, 2009, 10:09:41 pm »
Dear LMCE's,

I am currently working on a total multiroom system for a entire house.
The house will have 3 controlling areas with touchscreens, and i woud like to hear if any have experienced any problems with "D945GCLF2" Intel Atom 330 board.

Also i would like to hear if its complicated to install the touchscreens in LMCE/Linux? 2 of the screens are Elo Touch, while the last is 3M.

Thanks in advance.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Atom 330 (D945GCLF2 ) and Touchscreens
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 01:30:05 am »
On the touch screen, if it is compatible with Kubuntu 0710/Linux 2.6.22-14, and you choose UI1 during the install it should be OK.

Suggest you check the many other posts on Atom/945/965 based systems. 945s and 965s often cause problems with UI2, causing the whole system to hard crash. Some systems experience this such as the MSI Wind PC, others do not such as the Asus Eee Boxes. It is hoped that 0810 will make this more reliable. In the meantime, the solution is either to use UI1 (the best option given that you need to use this anyway for the touchscreen) or disable the Photo Screen Saver.

If the sound chip is something like the ALC888/883 you will be fine. If the NIC is the Realtek 8168 then you will need to follow the 2 articles on the wiki named Unrecognised NIC and Realtek 8168 to fix up the drivers otherwise it will not even boot up - note the instructions are quiet involved, if you don't follow them exactly, it will not fix up the driver bug (a Realtek problem, nothing to do with LMCE)

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 04:24:53 am »
AutomateMe,

I purchased an Atom 330 based system just the other day. It is not touchscreen based but it worked out of the box with no issues (yet) to report. I disabled the Photo Screen Saver.

The motherboard is a Foxconn 45CSX which I believe should be very close to the Intel version you mentioned.

Regards
Darren

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 05:03:22 am »
Dude, you're overthinking it.

Just get a touch tablet, install the orbiter software on it, stick a wallmount on it.

Or

Talk to tkmedia and get some of our orbiter pads.

But don't waste time trying to build a system, then graft a touchscreen onto it when there are plenty of touchscreen tablet slates out there, _AND_ Orbiter will run on them.

-Thom

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 06:14:13 am »
Dude, you're overthinking it.

Just get a touch tablet, install the orbiter software on it, stick a wallmount on it.

Or

Talk to tkmedia and get some of our orbiter pads.

But don't waste time trying to build a system, then graft a touchscreen onto it when there are plenty of touchscreen tablet slates out there, _AND_ Orbiter will run on them.

-Thom

Definitely, if all you want is an orbiter, then follow Thom's advice (I can vouch for how good the WebDT366's are that tkmedia sells) - I thought you wanted a full MD. If you do want a full touchscreen MD, first be aware of how inconvenient it will be to use unless you are mounting them immediately next to you (say on a kitchen bench) where you are moving around anyway... ie it won't be effective in an entertainment environment like a living room, where you are seated out of arms reach. If that is something you want, look up Totallymaxed's comments on the new Asus Eee Top, which is a complete system integrated with touch screen that apparently works very well, at around the US$600 mark or less.

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 09:24:25 am »
AutomateMe,

I purchased an Atom 330 based system just the other day. It is not touchscreen based but it worked out of the box with no issues (yet) to report. I disabled the Photo Screen Saver.

The motherboard is a Foxconn 45CSX which I believe should be very close to the Intel version you mentioned.

Regards
Darren

If your not after portability and you would like a full blown touch based MD and not just an Orbiter then I would recommend looking at the ASUS Eee Top 1602 touchscreen...it works beautifully with UI1. The Eee Top comes with an integrated desktop stand and ASUS makes an optional wall mount kit for it to. It currently runs UI1 very nicely indeed and we have added a wiki article on adding it to LinuxMCE-710 here http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Asus_EeeTop

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

AutomateMe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 09:26:13 am »
Thanks for all the advice. But the problem is that the touchscreens were purchased 4months ago, so i am not able to do anything about that. What matters now is picking the right systems for the screens, and this opened my eye for the Intel ATOM 330 board which seemed to have nice capabilities and pricing aswell.

simon_b

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 11:20:00 am »
what touchscreens m8?

I use ELO touchscreen in my lobby as a full MD (epia based) and is working great - like said by other guys - UI1 (sorry, no UI2)...

How to install ELO touchscreens on ubuntu/kubuntu/LMCE - find here:http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=579155 - follow that, works great!
ex Mythtv fan, the LinuxMCE newbie
----------
hoping for the best

AutomateMe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 05:08:45 pm »
Thanks alot for your guideline. I will save that, but it is a Elo Touch USB based touchscreen,  hopefully that guide should help me.
I am mostly concerned with the 3M screen from Siemens, but hoping i might get that working too!

UI1 it is!