Author Topic: Playing remote SMB files  (Read 2786 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Playing remote SMB files
« on: April 23, 2006, 03:40:11 am »
Can't seem to get an answer for this and it is very frustrating.  Somebody please help!

Using a Buffalo NAS (Linux Samba), Pluto added the device correctly and mounted it correctly, too.  I can see the files on the media directors, orbiters, and (while SSH'd) on /mnt/Buffalo_NAS_# and in the subdirectories of each user.  But the files do not play.  None of the music or video files play.

As a test, I copied the files over to the core and they played fine.

Anyone know what to do with this???

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Playing remote SMB files
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 11:24:40 am »
make sure your've mounted the device as the same name and dir and on the Core. I spent ages on this one. I mounted a drive on the core and linked to it from /home/public/data/music. All the files showed up ok in the orbitors but didn't play on the Media Directors.
I edited the /etc/exports file on the core, and the /etc/fstab on the MDs to fix this. But also to make the changes stay after reboot, edit the templates in /usr/pluto/templates/

Also make sure the SMB drive is on the same network ie the 192.168.80.x as the core has a firewall which stops smb mounts.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Playing remote SMB files
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 03:46:16 am »
Thanks for replying!  I'm not sure I follow some of what you did...

Quote from: "bliss01"
make sure your've mounted the device as the same name and dir and on the Core.

What does this mean?  For example, the device as named using the pluto admin pages is "TeraStation".  But it lists it as /mnt/TeraStation_80.  Are you saying I should rename the device as "TeraStation_80" in the admin pages?  It correctly places the file structure (public, user_1, user_2, with documents, music, video, etc.) into the TeraStation share.  (Nice, because it didn't do this a few weeks ago!  But back then I did it the way you are suggesting by manually adding it to /etc/fstab and mounting it.  The trick I didn't know about was your suggestion for editing the templates!  I knew there had to be something but just couldn't find it.  THANKS!!)

I spent ages on this one. I mounted a drive on the core and linked to it from /home/public/data/music. All the files showed up ok in the orbitors but didn't play on the Media Directors.
I edited the /etc/exports file on the core, and the /etc/fstab on the MDs to fix this. But also to make the changes stay after reboot, edit the templates in /usr/pluto/templates/

Ok, this exports file is new to me. This is what's in mine:
/home 192.168.80.0/255.255.255.0(rw,no_root_squash,no_all_squash,sync)
/usr/pluto/orbiter 192.168.80.0/255.255.255.0(rw,no_root_squash,no_all_squash,sync)
/usr/pluto/keys 192.168.80.0/255.255.255.0(ro,no_root_squash,no_all_squash,sync)
/usr/pluto/deb-cache 192.168.80.0/255.255.255.0(ro,no_root_squash,no_all_squash,sync)
/usr/pluto/var/Updates 192.168.80.0/255.255.255.0(rw,no_root_squash,no_all_squash,sync)
#/var/cache/apt/archives 192.168.80.0/255.255.255.0(rw,no_root_squash,no_all_squash,sync)
#/mnt/media 192.168.80.0/255.255.255.0(rw,no_root_squash,no_all_squash,sync)
/usr/pluto/diskless/192.168.80.2 192.168.80.2/255.255.255.255(rw,no_root_squash,no_all_squash,sync)

I don't understand what to edit/add/remove?  How did you do this?  And what did you change to the MD fstab?  I guess you added the NFS mount?  Strange that this would be needed because I thought the idea was to have Pluto handle it?

Also make sure the SMB drive is on the same network ie the 192.168.80.x as the core has a firewall which stops smb mounts.

Got this one. ;-)

Thanks again for your help!  I appreciate it greatly.