Author Topic: add a harddrive  (Read 3121 times)

johanr

• Veteran
    • View Profile
add a harddrive
« on: February 09, 2009, 08:08:59 pm »
simple task I thought. Just buy one and plug it into one of the free SATA ports.
But the Core doesn't recognise it  :-\ it's a brand new unformatted(!) 720Gb Samsung. I guess I have to format it, but then I need to mount it right?

In Kubuntu I did the same(have a computer that will be using FreeNas) but there I had to manually format and mount it. However doing this in LinuxMCE I have understood is Not the way to go.

I have done similar with an IDE disk and that one was found instantly, however that had been used before but with windoze format.

So, what is the Right(read, how would you do?) procedure to do it, don't want to mess this up.

-johan
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 08:12:20 pm by johanr »

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
Re: add a harddrive
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 08:27:01 pm »
Just format the drive first add it to core or md and it will be automatically added to lmce

Tim
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 08:31:55 pm »
The system was designed to automatically handle disks in two ways:

* Disks set up in the RAID section of the web admin
* Disks in NAS bricks

detecting internal disks is the most difficult option. Save yourself some pain and get a nas brick, or get a couple of disks and set it up as a RAID.

-Thom

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 10:51:39 pm »
Just format the drive first add it to core or md and it will be automatically added to LinuxMCE

Tim

Does the storageradar see GPT partitions as well? If so, what tool would you use to create one? Looked at parted, fdisk, cfdisk and sfdisk and none of them seem to handle them... just wondering as 2T disks are available now, it won't be long before the 2T limit of partitions is breached! Would be nice to handle GPTs...

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 11:03:23 pm »
no, none of the partitioners support it.. but again.. with LMCE, why are you guys making this 50,000,000 times more difficult than you ever should?

-Thom

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 11:15:24 pm »
no, none of the partitioners support it.. but again.. with LMCE, why are you guys making this 50,000,000 times more difficult than you ever should?

-Thom

Thom - this is a perfectly reasonable question!!! If LMCE can support GPT partitions, then why not? Yes, there are plenty of other ways of getting v large storage, and there are certainly huge advantages to NAS, etc but this is simply a question about what can be supported. Lets be realistic, itsn't not going to be long before GPT partitions are absolutely required because of the 2T limit. And my thought process was more around FreeNAS (obviously the storageradar doesn't see the partition type there, but I was interested in the visibility for local GPT disks as well... for info...)

johanr

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 02:26:15 am »
Tkmedia et all. Thanks! I will do so since I need a bigger second disk in the core before I have the NAS up and running safely (got surprised of the samsung hdd temp and need to build a proper chassie)

on the 2T issue I think less is more.. more disks and you don't loose that much when it breaks ;)
also copying doesn't take so long with smaller disks.

-johan