Author Topic: How do I install kernel-source  (Read 2604 times)

canukguy1974

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
How do I install kernel-source
« on: February 07, 2009, 07:06:50 pm »
 I need install the kernel-source but, I can't seem to get anywhere. Either I can't get it to go any help on this would be really appreciated. I did try to
Code: [Select]
sudo wget http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.27.11.tar.bz2
#sudo tar jxvf linux-2.6.27.11.tar.bz2
#sudo ln -s linux-2.6.27.11 linux
#sudo cd linux
#sudo cp ../linux-headers-`uname -r`/.config . #(copy the previous kernel config to current dir (notice the '.'). You could use a different config if you like or start from scratch.
#sudo make oldconfig #(I usually accept the defaults for the new options. This takes all the options from the previous stock build
#sudo make-kpkg --append-to-version `date +"-%H%M-%d%m%Y"` kernel_image #builds a new kernel with todays time/date appended to the version number. You can omit this or use a different string
#sudo dpkg -i /usr/src/kernel_image.......deb #install whatever the name was of this kernel file you just created
#sudo reboot
I get to make-kpkg etc. then I get an error
exec debian/rules  DEBIAN_REVISION=2.6.27.11-0549-07022009-10.00.Custom  APPEND_TO_VERSION=-1300-07022009  kernel_image                             
/bin/sh: line 0: [: -ge: unary operator expected                                                                                                   
/bin/sh: line 0: [: -lt: unary operator expected                                                                                                   
/bin/sh: line 0: [: -eq: unary operator expected                                                                                                   
/bin/sh: line 0: [: -eq: unary operator expected                                                                                                   
/bin/sh: line 0: [: -gt: unary operator expected                                                                                                   
/bin/sh: line 0: [: -gt: unary operator expected                                                                                                   

====== making target CONFIG-common [new prereqs: testdir]======

====== making target CONFIG-common [new prereqs: stamp-conf]======
This is kernel package version 11.001-0.1.
====== making stamp-arch-conf because of  ======

====== making target CONFIG-arch [new prereqs: stamp-arch-conf]======
====== making target conf.vars [new prereqs: Makefile .config]======

Makefile:518: /usr/src/linux-2.6.27.11/arch/xen/Makefile: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/src/linux-2.6.27.11/arch/xen/Makefile'.  Stop.
make: *** [conf.vars] Error 2
 Please help.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 07:51:18 pm by canukguy1974 »

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
Re: How do I install kernel-source
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 07:42:12 pm »
sorry, we cannot talk about ******* here.
br, Hari
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 08:20:02 pm by hari »
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

canukguy1974

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 02:49:45 pm »
thanks Hari. But, why can't I find how to add the kernel source. If I follow one of the guides on upgrading my kernel am I going toast this version of MCE(which is 0810 alpha1)[I couldn't install off the install DVD] the kernel is 2.6.27.11-generic. I am kind of new to kernels I have only used the one's that came with the distro's.

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 04:49:05 pm »
did you try to coompile it manually (read without kpkg)

br, Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation