Author Topic: Setup of fresh diskless MD failing at X windows install  (Read 10507 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Setup of fresh diskless MD failing at X windows install
« on: April 10, 2006, 02:45:17 am »
Anyone managed to setup a new diskless MD since 0.39?

I have tried one and it seems to be going OK until it gets to download and install of x-windos-core-system (or something like that) and the apt-get seems to be failing.

Does this mean that the Pluto repository has a problem or is it likely to be something with the MD machine?

Darren

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 12:13:25 am »
Hi m8,

I can also confirm that I am experiencing major problems following a rebuild with the .39 boot cd.

My core/hybrid was built successfully, but I can not get any MD's to build correctly.  The problems are too numerous to list here but all the apt-get installs fail, there are numerous script failures and directory not found errors.

I have been running Pluto for a long time and never had these errors in the past  :(

Looks like the .39 release has major bugs in terms of setting up diskless MD's.

NOS

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 02:18:29 am »
I'm glad I'm not the only one having trouble doing this. I eventually got an MD going by de-selecting all the options in the setup, reloading the dcerouter and then booting the MD. It worked, so I tried adding each required option one at a time and repeating the reload and re-boot each time, thinking I would troubleshoot the problem. I didn't find the problem and everything ended up working fine, so I'm none the wiser.

So far I've had no luck getting MythTV working, but reading the forums, I know I'm not alone there. The cards are recognised, but Pluto/Myth can't open them?

I still don't understand why Pluto requires so much setup of MDs? Kaboodle automatically recognises hardware MAC addresses, so why not Pluto?

When I first saw Pluto I thought it would be easy, given the literature, all 'PlugandPlay', but have discovered there's a lot more to it than plugging in a device and letting Pluto configure it.

I still think it's a great idea, but have spent too much time on it, and not really got anything but an MD that'll play mp3s over a network, after a five minute boot time!!!!

I'm looking forward to when it does what it says it does.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 09:29:11 am »
Just an update....

I tried to a clean MD setup on another machine several days after this one and it went through no with no problems. Hardware was different but I am not sure that this is the problem. I have meant to delete and retry the setup on the original one but havn't done this yet as I "borrowed" some of its hardware for a different machine.
I get the feeling though that since the problems seemed to stem from apt failures that it was related to the server rather than anything at my end but I'll see what happens.

Pluto does advertise a plug'n'play approach but remember that this is with known and tested hardware from the commericial site. As a free open source system running on any hardware it has the potential to be plug'n'play but it would be impossible to claim this with all hardware combinations. As it stands I think it provides a good platform for incorporating any device that is useful but new ones are bound to need some work.
It would be good to form a registry of hardware in use with degree of compatibility and known issues etc. This registry could be hosted by Pluto (on this site) but would be updated by the user community.
Just some thoughts.

Darren

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 02:06:28 pm »
Quote from: "Paul_Arnott"

When I first saw Pluto I thought it would be easy, given the literature, all 'PlugandPlay', but have discovered there's a lot more to it than plugging in a device and letting Pluto configure it.

I still think it's a great idea, but have spent too much time on it, and not really got anything but an MD thatmall play mp3s over a network, after a five minute boot time!!!!

I'm looking forward to when it does what it says it does.

Well you could take a look at this http://plutohome.com/support/index.php?section=document&docID=53 and try to understand that the version you are complaining about is a developer version! It's not even marked as a test version for the moment.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 03:33:23 am »
I realise .39 is a development version, but

The documentation says
http://plutohome.com/support/index.php?section=document&docID=45

"Pluto allows a user to plug in any type of device and automatically configure it and let the user start using it right away without doing anything. The way this is accomplished is with an extension to the DHCP server. When a new device is plugged into the network and requests an IP address, this program connects to a central database to do a lookup of the device's unique MAC address to see what type of device it is. The database defines all the configuration data the device needs to run, and references the software drivers needed. This program then downloads and installs any needed software, adds configuration pages for the device to the user's config website, and adds the device in the user's local database."

I thought this meant you could plug an MD into the network and the core would see it when it asked for an IP address and configure it, because that what they say that it will do in the above quote.

Can you point me to the stable release? When I click Get Pluto, it sends me to the .39 release. I also cannot find the 'commercial site' Can you help with that as well?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 02:18:27 pm »
Just to add an update, mine is not hardware related as the diskless media director has worked through releases from somewhere around version 0.19.  As I have already said never had problems setting up diskless MD's in the past.

Problem only occured after rebuilding my core/hybrid from scratch using the 0.39 kickstart CD.

It is not just apt-get errors, there are also scripts missing on the core.  May rebuild everything from scratch again using an older kickstart CD and then allow it to update as normal.

Regards

NOS.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 11:42:54 am »
add media director problems could appear from our latest kernel upgrade.
i confirm that we have reports of instability related to our latest 2.0.0.39 release.

regarding to cold plug md, from 2.0.0.40 (i'm not sure if it's included in .39 too) you just need to power on the md, and specify a room name.

indeed we only have development releases, we'll have a stable hopefull in few months.

I also cannot find the 'commercial site' Can you help with that as well?
the commercial site is plutohome.com
open source is plutohome.org

support, documentatios and more you can find in MyPluto section after login[/code]