Author Topic: Kubuntu 8.10 instalation  (Read 2901 times)

Parianos

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Kubuntu 8.10 instalation
« on: February 04, 2009, 04:30:41 pm »
Hi, I'm trying to install mce to a fresh install of kubuntu 8.10 (tried to install 7.10 as suggested both stand-alone and from mce dvd but both keep fail ending up to busybox). I downloaded both cds and when inserted the instalation doesn't auto-start as it should be. The first cd has a folder and a file which i installed but nothing happened. As it's obvious  :o I'm kinda new to linux please advise. Thanks

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
Re: Kubuntu 8.10 instalation
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 05:54:12 pm »
Please read the faq Lmce 0710 needs to run on 0710 kubuntu. and have compatible hardware

Tim
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

Parianos

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 06:06:35 pm »
Thanks for the response but I can't find my board in the list (Intel DG45-FC) and the only kubuntu that completed installation so far is 8.10! Should I quit trying?

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 10:15:46 pm »
You shouldn't be trying to install Kubuntu at all unless you have a good reason.

Download (using the torrent only) 0710RC2 i386 DVD version (not the dual layer version), then burn the iso to DVD using the slowest possible speed.

Put in the drive of a blank machine (do not install windows or any other OS first, it is unnecessary), power on and boot from DVD.

Note that this will wipe the hard drive completely and place LMCE on it instead.

Pabla007

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 04:58:42 am »
I download LinuxMCE-DVD-i386-rc2 . It did not work on my machine.  I have "A740GH-M" MotherBoard. Name of brand "ECS". I tryed so many time and it did not work. When i boot from cd  then I get this msg "BusyBox V1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu7) Built-in shell (ash)  Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
(initramfs)"

Help me

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 05:05:22 am »
If your hardware is not compatible with Kubuntu 0710 (Linux 2.6.22-14) then you cannot install LMCE on it (easily)

I presume you didn't purchase this hardware specifically for LMCE before checking its compatibility, so I think you will have to redeploy this for some other purpose (at least until 0810 comes out).

In the meantime, look for some hardware that is compatible with the versions listed above.... start by reading the wiki and forums on the question of hardware compatibility.