Author Topic: how to set linux mce on Kubuntu 8.10  (Read 14990 times)

Pabla007

• View Profile
how to set linux mce on Kubuntu 8.10
« on: February 03, 2009, 11:45:01 pm »
I have just installed Kubuntu 8.10 and now i would like to set on top Linux MCE. How can i do that. I have 64bit. I really need help on this.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: how to set linux mce on Kubuntu 8.10
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 01:40:51 am »
Please read the wiki faq, hardware requirements (like 2 NICs), and the basic get started pages before you go any further. You have already made at least 2 mistakes.

1. LMCE runs on Kubuntu 0710 NOT 810
2. You should be downloading the DVD not the CDs - you boot from the DVD, do NOT install Kubuntu first... blank machine.
3. Use i386 NOT AMD64 for stability.

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 03:23:59 am »
I have just installed Kubuntu 8.10 and now i would like to set on top Linux MCE. How can i do that. I have 64bit. I really need help on this.

Colin's 100% correct... the only LinuxMCE-0810 versions are currently only in alpha and are definitely not for 'normal' use. Go with Colin's suggestion and get yourself familiar with the current LinuxMCE-0710 release...and definitely use the DVD as Colin suggests.

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

Pabla007

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 03:31:49 am »
is there any link other than this
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Mirrors_0710_beta_3

This link is really slow for downloading.
Official Torrents is really slow.
Do you guys know any other website.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 03:45:33 am »
That's because beta 3 is very old and no one uses it any more. I've no idea where you got that link from - please start reading the wiki before you continue. Go the the main page and click on the download link. On that page there is a link to the downloads. RC2 is the current version, you want the DVD i386, and always use the torrent, not a straight download site... this is important to avoid corruptions!!!

On the same pages you will find the DVD installation walkthru, read that as well. And the pages on AV Wizard and Display Drivers.

Crawtech

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 03:59:55 am »
Pabla007
have a look at this and down load from one of the sites that are closest to you
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Mirrors_0710

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 04:23:38 am »
Pabla007
have a look at this and down load from one of the sites that are closest to you
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Mirrors_0710

As I say, do not use the mirrors, use the torrents - which are at the top of the list on the page that ihas supplied you. You want the very first torrent in the list. It currently has over 80 peers in the swarm, so you should get more than ample download speed.

Pabla007

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 05:04:39 am »
I download LinuxMCE-DVD-i386-rc2 . It did not work on my machine.  I have "A740GH-M" MotherBoard. Name of brand "ECS". I tryed so many time and it did not work. When i boot from cd  then I get this msg "BusyBox V1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu7) Built-in shell (ash)  Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
(initramfs)"

Help me

garg_art2002

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
    • Home Site
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 09:27:24 am »
Please read the wiki faq, hardware requirements (like 2 NICs), and the basic get started pages before you go any further. You have already made at least 2 mistakes.

1. LinuxMCE runs on Kubuntu 0710 NOT 810
2. You should be downloading the DVD not the CDs - you boot from the DVD, do NOT install Kubuntu first... blank machine.
3. Use i386 NOT AMD64 for stability.

KUBUNTU repositories are gone. what would/should be the content of /etc/sources.list
If we have to install 710 then it should require updates till such time they published them.

Thanks much.
Linux MCE.  Next best thing since slice of bread. (Audio, Video, Webserver, NAS - All rolled into one cool appliance).

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 04:03:42 pm »
No they are not gone, they are old-releases, do some searches on the forum and you will find them!

Also take a look at the date of that post... it was 6 months ago.. things have moved on... 0710 is the current stable release but is aging.... most people are installing the 0810 alpha releases now as they are being supported (whereas 0710 is not), and they support more hardware.

garg_art2002

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
    • Home Site
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 06:14:50 pm »
No they are not gone, they are old-releases, do some searches on the forum and you will find them!

Also take a look at the date of that post... it was 6 months ago.. things have moved on... 0710 is the current stable release but is aging.... most people are installing the 0810 alpha releases now as they are being supported (whereas 0710 is not), and they support more hardware.
Colin, BTW, your webpage is very impressive. Congrats!!

I had a LinuxMCE710 @myhome where all I used was DVD watching/Videos from utube & my camcorder watching. My HDD died.  Should I go to 810? Is it stable enough for what I use?

If not, will DVD_32_Install is still the preferred operating procedure for LMCE-710 install? Even if apt-gate updates will fail to find sources..?
I also did search and think a sources.list mod may solve update problem assuming the the old 710 DVD install will go through without a hitch.

Many thanks for your help on what I consider the best Media Center despite gains from XBMC/Boxee.
Linux MCE.  Next best thing since slice of bread. (Audio, Video, Webserver, NAS - All rolled into one cool appliance).

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 09:21:06 pm »
Hi garg_art2002,

If all you are doing is watching movies 810 is stable enough for that but LMCE is more than just a video player.

However, you are probably aware of this

You may be better off with XBMC/Boxee if video playback is the only feature in LMCE that you are interested in.

garg_art2002

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
    • Home Site
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 06:16:13 am »
Hi garg_art2002,

If all you are doing is watching movies 810 is stable enough for that but LinuxMCE is more than just a video player.

However, you are probably aware of this

You may be better off with XBMC/Boxee if video playback is the only feature in LinuxMCE that you are interested in.

Hi Pigdog, I realize that LinuxMCE is a lot more than that and although I would love to add more but I often worry about a single point of failure besides configuration nightmare that it might entail. Wify will not even go there, if you know my drift.

I did load up XMBC (Not boxee yet) and have to confess that I love it for its simplicity.  It appears more stable and FiiRe can eventually be trained after I am trained.

Back to LMCE, the feature I am most addicted to is the the Ken Burn Effect http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Burns_Effect Slide Show automagically when inactive (edge2Edge). I think it is even more useful than DVD playback because for 70 bucks we can buy us a stupid proof dvd player but not this.....

My whole family used to ask me to buy those small wall frames that play slide show but having that same thing and more on a 52" LCD is intoxicating to say the least.

I realize that this software is available to enjoy because of some very passionate & smart people and is light year ahead of many others. But its not for faint hearted people. The general population is looking for something they can "apt-get install LMCE".

I love the use of this product so much for killer combo to jukebox+burnalized slideshow that if it were made apt-get install simple, I feel it will explode in adoption. My 2 cents.

I am considering throwing in my hat to help - even small things like documentation. I will give a second try to 810 ... Thanks for you help and guidance.

garg_art2002

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
    • Home Site
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 07:03:54 pm »

Colin, BTW, your webpage is very impressive. Congrats!!
>
>
Installed lmce 810 Alpha 2 exactly per the script on the wiki and it went through well this time. Clearly there are some new tweaks for the better. A few issues observed:
1. The slide show is jerky (slightly) and does not glide smoothly like it did in 710.
2. The FiiRE remote and regular mouse both take long time. The slideshow merrily keeps gliding after the clicks. Responds after several second by when other clicks (because one is not sure if the last one worked) would nullify the first click....
3. Frequent gray box for drives found (comes and disappears).
4. Slideshow as well as DVD playback is looking granular... May be a NVIDIA stock driver with kubuntu issue...
Nice touch of mute and pause in the dvd play...!!
Will explore more
How can I file defects and user-experience observations and where?
Many thanks for help from all of you. I hope to be able to write a novice installation guide in a few days...

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 01:33:10 pm »
I download LinuxMCE-DVD-i386-rc2 . It did not work on my machine.  I have "A740GH-M" MotherBoard. Name of brand "ECS". I tryed so many time and it did not work. When i boot from cd  then I get this msg "BusyBox V1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu7) Built-in shell (ash)  Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
(initramfs)"

Help me

Sounds like this might help with the "BusyBox" error.
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/ASUS_P5Q or
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Gigabyte_EG45M-S2H
 forum link:
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=7109.0