Author Topic: New install advice please - rack mounted, telephony & orbiters  (Read 13415 times)

Tomm

• View Profile
New install advice please - rack mounted, telephony & orbiters
« on: February 03, 2009, 12:27:39 am »
Hello,

Firstly, just to let you know i'm a complete Linux noobie - your chance to convert someone whos worked with MS products for most of his life!  And i thank you all very much in advance - i realise what i'm about to ask is a lot but hopefully not too much!

So i started to write this big long essay, describing exactly what i want to do in my house but then i realised all it boils down to is a few questions, so i won't waste anyone's time and get straight to the big ones:

I've concluded i need 1 hybrid and 1 MD:
Hybrid with HDMI out and 7.1 for 4 zones of multiroom audio and 1 video stream
MD with HDMI out and 7.1 for the HD theatre.

1.  All my kit will be rack mounted - is there an off the shelf rack mounted system that is ready built that will work for the Hybrid and MD?  Otherwise, whats a good rack mounted case that will allow me to build a suitable system using the part list in the wiki?
2.  What kit will i need to be able to connect my standard landline telephone?
3.  I'm going to control 15 different pieces of kit using rs232 - whats the best hub to use?

Now on to Orbiters (i love that name - sounds so much cooler that remotes)

I want complete home control from every orbiter - audio levels, video outs, lights, IP camera feeds, telephony info, the works!

Is it a good idea with the following (just need reassurance i'm not overestimating the functionality):  iphone?  LG Viewty? ipod touch? 15" screen in the wall in the living area (conencted to some slim client or something)?  Chumby built into a sofa (well why not?)?

I think thats it for the moment - i am absolutely desperate to get going on this project - my current 'get me by' bodge is driving me crazy!

Thanks for all your forthcoming advice.

Tom

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: New install advice please - rack mounted, telephony & orbiters
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 05:09:54 am »
Hello, and welcome.

Please read the FAQ, then come back to ask questions,  it will allow us to help you better:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/FAQ

-Thom

Tomm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 10:10:58 am »
Hello, thanks for the reply.

Having been through the Wiki for the millionth time i have one question that will get me going if anyone has any ideas or opinions:

Can anyone recommend a rackmounted PC out there, ready built, that will be usable as my Hybrid?

If not, can anyone recommend a rackmounted case that fits the bill to be built using the other components in the wiki. 

(i've never built or touched a rackmounted system before - any help appreciated.)

If i've missed something in the wiki that answers my questions please feel free to point me in the direction.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 11:06:32 am »
Tomm,

where are you located?

Tomm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 11:21:31 am »
hi,

i'm in Oxford in the UK

Tom

lozarythmic

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 12:14:28 pm »
In leiu of someone actually coming up with a rack mounted system they know of, it wouldn't be hard to (again) search the wiki for compatible hardware, and build the solution yourself. Thats what I did! Building PC's is like lego these days, most internal connectors are colour coded and there's plenty of tutorials out there on the intertubes :)

Tomm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 12:26:44 pm »
oh god.  can i just request a simple answer instead of being told 'Wiki' each time

Is there a rack mounted system that someone has used in the past with success? (YES/NO - delete as applicable)
If yes - would you like to tell me what it is?

Is there a rack mounted case that someone has used in the past with success?  (YES/NO - delete as applicable)
If yes - would you like to tell me what it is?

i'm not asking for a detailed part list - JUST A CASE!!!!!!  I can read the bloody wiki and find the rest of the parts - however i can't find a rack mounted case in there. (please tell me where if i've missed a page)

I was really looking forward to this project but i can't understand why this has suddenly become such a mission?

itsmeok

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 12:46:52 pm »
I do not have an answer for you but if I would look for advice on a different forum. I would ask my question on a hardware forum. In the Netherlands I use Tweakers.net but for sure there are several of these forums in your language. They will help you on al kinds of questions for your case.

Hope this brings you forward on you project as I think it is a brilliant solution. For example I first installed it on a desktop system to get familiar and take my time to look for a case that I like.

Success

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 12:52:24 pm »
Tomm

You should seriously consider changing your tone if you want some help in here. Remember that everyone is here to learn together and nobody gets paid for any kind of support. Nobody is going to want to help someone that comes in demanding things - simply put, communities like this do much better without those kind of users.

That being said...

Just go on ebay and look at rackmount cases. There are a ton of choices. Almost all of them will conform to the ATX standard, in which you can place your motherboard. I would recommend a 4U unit to leave room for drive space, adequate cooling and room for PCI cards etc. You can see the rackmount chassis I used here:
wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:jondecker76

If you want an out-of-the-box solution thats already built, look at some used servers such as the one listed here http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=7006.0. Keep in mind that what you find may not have been tested with LMCE, in which case you assume some risk of it not working. For this reason, try to stick with known working hardware (this is where the wiki and some research will help). Also be advised that it is not a simple task putting together a LMCE system - some of us have spent many months and even into a year to get our setups perfect. There is a lot to learn and if you want to be successful you have to keep this in mind and be patient
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 12:54:58 pm by jondecker76 »

Tomm

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 02:31:58 pm »
Hi, i'm sorry that what i thought was a simple set of questions turned into such a big deal.

Jon - i felt in my first post i asked for some advice and subsequently got told where to go but getting a bit agitated got me some answers - says something if not everything.  Anyway, what advice you have given me was excellent and generally what was required.  So thanks very much!

itsmeok - thanks for this, definitely constructive.

i'm sure i'll be back soon to annoy you all again once i've got a hybrid going.  ;)

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 02:49:57 pm »
Tomm,

if you are located in the UK, you might want to contact totallymaxed in the forum. They can provide you with ready-made solutions.

http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?action=profile;u=38882

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 02:51:55 pm »
Look man, if finding a rack mounted case (just about the least lmce specific part you can get) by yourself, is already over your head, then you'll probably be better off to give up on this project right now.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

PeteK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 03:14:54 pm »
How about the new fiire system:

http://www.fiire.com/fiire-engine.php

I'm not sure of the current state of fiire, but others can answer that question.

Tomm

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 03:31:26 pm »
alright Zaerc calm down, you might be the world's expert in all this but i haven't a clue (as i'm sure most people have noticed) so do me a favour and if you don't want to help me then don't bother posting.

Thanks for the other posts though, i'd looked at both companies last week before deciding that it was something that i should build for myself to not only gain the experience, have a bit of fun but also i can get it to do exactly what i want and fix any problems.  And it was fun until i asked for advice on rack mounted cases...

Anyway, i've made my decision on kit now.  I was going to post it up here to get feedback but i won't bother now, i'm sure everything will be ok, i've read the wiki.  ;D

marrandy

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 03:52:53 pm »
Hello,

Firstly, just to let you know i'm a complete Linux noobie - your chance to convert someone whos worked with MS products for most of his life!  And i thank you all very much in advance - i realise what i'm about to ask is a lot but hopefully not too much!

I've concluded i need 1 hybrid and 1 MD:
Hybrid with HDMI out and 7.1 for 4 zones of multiroom audio and 1 video stream
MD with HDMI out and 7.1 for the HD theatre.

1.  All my kit will be rack mounted - is there an off the shelf rack mounted system that is ready built that will work for the Hybrid and MD?  Otherwise, whats a good rack mounted case that will allow me to build a suitable system using the part list in the wiki?

Tom

Hi Tom and welcome.

This is an open source development project.  There are a lot of issues and setting up involved.

With no Linux experience and your requirements and being in the UK, talk to totallymaxed.  He works for a company called dianemo  http://www.dianemo.co.uk/  who will be able to get the job done for you.  Check out the videos etc.
I don't know what their pricing is, but its worth a shot.  They are based in Chelmsford, UK, by the way

Good luck.

When you have your system, please come back to this thread and tell us all what you bought.  There are way too many threads on this board which dead-end, as people fail to come back with their fixes, solutions etc.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 04:02:21 pm by marrandy »