Author Topic: Linksys Wireless IP camera...  (Read 5032 times)

cirion

• Guru
    • View Profile
Linksys Wireless IP camera...
« on: February 02, 2009, 03:57:17 pm »
Does anyone know if this camera works in LinuxMCE?
http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/WVC54GCA

It supports both ethernet and wifi.

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Linksys Wireless IP camera...
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 04:17:03 pm »
You should be able to follow my guide here: http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/D-Link_DCS-920 and for the path use /img/snapshot.cgi instead of /VIDEO.CGI.  Pretty much all IP cameras will work with LMCE are are generally the recommended type of cam to use.  Let me know if that setting works for you and any other tweaks you needed to do and I'll put up a wiki page for it so others can add theirs as well.  :)

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 07:39:12 pm »
Did my instruction work for you?  I'd like to verify that it is working so that I can create a wiki page and we can add it to the list of compatible and working hardware with LMCE

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 12:31:11 am »
I ended up returning the DCS-920 I was using, it would have to be restarted constantly and has been a known issue with D-Link since 2007 so I bought this Linksys camera instead and can confirm that the instructions I provided to the original poster do work for this camera and it is working quite nicely.  I will do a Wiki writeup for this later, until then if anyone else is interested in a cheap wireless IP camera I highly recommend this one. :)

sedgington

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 04:37:32 pm »
I tried it and it worked. However the video quality is much worse than just using the the html page to pull it up.
Is there a way to get the "speak" button to work? When I click on it the image goes away and I get an "End Broadcast" button. When I click on that I get a "call dropped normal clearing" notification.

Thanks.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 07:05:32 pm »
Attach a microphone to the sound card of the media director.

-Thom

nosebreaker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 05:06:41 am »
I bought a WVC54GC and I am not able to get it to work.  It seems to use /img/video.asf but I cannot see it in LMCE when folowing the directions for the D-Link DCS-920 below.  FYI - this model seems to barely be able to handle TKIP (wireless security), it misses pings (I presume the processor on this isn't enough).  I am not sure if there is a difference between the GC and the GCA.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 05:41:42 am »
the output format _MUST_ be a single JPEG frame. Period.

-Thom

nosebreaker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 05:59:49 am »
Yeah this camera doesn't do that.  I don't see how the GCA model could either, it seems to only output a stream as well.  I have found this though, perhaps it might work (ffserver):
http://www.infohit.net/blog/post/motion-capture-using-the-wvc54gc-with-linux.html

Pnuts

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 05:16:59 am »
GCA version works fine so perhaps it is just the GC version. I updated the wiki with the steps mentioned above in this thread for the GCA version.

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Linksys_WVC54GCA