Author Topic: Best Mainboard for hybrid device???  (Read 7656 times)

pflegefall

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Best Mainboard for hybrid device???
« on: February 02, 2009, 02:30:47 pm »
Who knows a good and actual mainboard witch is supported by Ubuntu 710/810...

.. and provides
- onboard Graphic with HDMI (including sound)
- onboard sound with optical SPDIF
- enough Power for Dual DVBS-2
- UI2
- MicroATX Formfactor
- minimized power consumption...

Did I forget a feature???

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Best Mainboard for hybrid device???
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 02:21:41 am »
Don't get too hung up on the actual mobo. Pick a mobo that is known to work well with Kubuntu 0710.

Then focus on the graphics, sound and network chipsets.

Generally graphics should be nVidia (anything from 6200-8300 is fine, higher is massive overkill)
Make sure the sound chip has an ALSA driver for Linux, kernel 2.6.22-14
Generally Intel seems the best for networking - again, compatibility with 2.6.22.14

Forget 0810 for now.

When you find one with the features you want, and the above compatibility, then do a quick search on the forums and wiki to ensure no one has specifically said it is "bad"!

Craptastic

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 05:00:48 am »
I was in the same boat and did a lot of reading in the hardware wiki.

I went with the following:

ASUS M3N78-EM mATX AM2+ NVIDIA 8300 PCI-E16 PCI-E1 2PCI HDMI Video Sound LAN Hybrid SLI Motherboard

Don't have mine up and running yet but read it works right out of the box with just minor tweaks.

Has HDMI, DVI, SPDIF, eSATA, 1394, 6 SATA, 12 USB, 2 PCI, etc, etc.

If you search on M3N78-EM it's all there.

valent

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • /kernel_reloaded/
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 10:05:18 am »
Is there any motherboard for Hybrid that is standard ATX size so it can fit more cards?
LinuxMCE - If it was easy, everybody would be doing it!!
My setup - http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Valent

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 12:00:46 pm »
Is there any motherboard for Hybrid that is standard ATX size so it can fit more cards?

At risk of repeating myself....

Don't get too hung up on the actual mobo. Pick a mobo that is known to work well with Kubuntu 0710.

Then focus on the graphics, sound and network chipsets.

Generally graphics should be nVidia (anything from 6200-8300 is fine, higher is massive overkill)
Make sure the sound chip has an ALSA driver for Linux, kernel 2.6.22-14
Generally Intel seems the best for networking - again, compatibility with 2.6.22.14

Forget 0810 for now.

When you find one with the features you want, and the above compatibility, then do a quick search on the forums and wiki to ensure no one has specifically said it is "bad"!

look up some ATX motherboards, then check the details above....

valent

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • /kernel_reloaded/
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 01:59:44 pm »
I'm trying to avoid wasting money+time on this if somebody already did this. I would need to go buy motherboard, install it in PC case, test it with LinuxMCE (lots of lost time if it fails).

Then if it fails and can't be easily supported by LinuxMCE I need to sell that motherboard and try again... that is what you are suggesting, right?

Well I would much more to listen to other peoples experience and get the motherboard that works the first time.

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 02:02:53 pm »
I have always got on quite well with MSI mobos. I think that their performance for the amount they cost is fantastic. Don't think I've ever spent more than £35 on one (mATX versions anyway), and have never had a problem.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 10:03:35 pm »
I'm trying to avoid wasting money+time on this if somebody already did this. I would need to go buy motherboard, install it in PC case, test it with LinuxMCE (lots of lost time if it fails).

Then if it fails and can't be easily supported by LinuxMCE I need to sell that motherboard and try again... that is what you are suggesting, right?

Well I would much more to listen to other peoples experience and get the motherboard that works the first time.

Ok, I will repeat myself! And add a little further info from other posts of mine on the subject to try and clarify.

Most importantly: You cannot ask a question like, is there any ATX board that works, and expect to get a meaningful answer.

There are literally thousands that would work, how can you expect forum members to recommend one to you from such a broad criteria? What criteria would they use to suggest one particular board over another? The question is far too broad. Tip: when posting a question on forums, narrow the focus of your question as much as you possibly can. Make it easy for others to answer your question, otherwise you won't get any answers at all (or silly/inappropriate ones!)

Secondly: You can narrow that focus by specifying exactly what you are looking for beyond "ATX". eg HDMI and SPDIF outputs, nVidia chipset, at least 3 PCI + 1 PCIe slot, AMD64 socket, 4 SATA connectors, 6+ USB connectors, etc, etc. And then hope that someone out there happens to have something that matches this.

However - it is very often the case that either your particular specification might not match with those people who happen to read your post. And even if they do, commonly, a board that has been around long enough for people to have a good feel for it working are already discontinued due to the short life span of many boards!

This is why I am trying to recommend to you that you shouldn't focus on a particular board ... increase the chances of success by looking at the question "smarter".

It isn't mobos that are compatible with Linux or LMCE, it is individual components on the mobo, and these usually have much longer life spans. I have already mentioned the critical areas. Find some mobos that 1) is ATX, and 2) meets your requirements for the other options you are looking at (ie PCI slots, video/audio connectors, USB ports, etc). Now eliminate any that don't have nVidia GPUs (best case, and something in the 6200-7300 is ideal for most purposes).

You now have your base. Now list what audio and NIC chip they have. Check on the boards/wiki for those chip numbers - if they are common then you will find someone confirming they work. But at a minimum, check with the manufacturer's web site for a Linux driver (that works with kernel 2.6.22-14). You now have networking and sound. Often it is worth checking with the mobo manufacturer's web site for the overall Linux compatibility.

There are very occasionally issues with SATA. But by in large, get an nVidia chipset, and confirm that the sound and NIC chips have drivers for 2.6.22-14, and you're done! This will give you many more mobos to choose from than hoping that someone out there happens to have a mobo like what you are looking for, can confirm that it works, and is still available!

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 10:46:55 pm »
ASUS M3N78-EM mATX AM2+ NVIDIA 8300 PCI-E16 PCI-E1 2PCI HDMI Video Sound LAN Hybrid SLI Motherboard

Don't have mine up and running yet but read it works right out of the box with just minor tweaks.

I wouldn't call replacing nic and video card minor tweaks

http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=6838.0

Tim
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

valent

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • /kernel_reloaded/
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 11:32:48 pm »

I wouldn't call replacing nic and video card minor tweaks

http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=6838.0

Tim

There ways to do this easier:
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/ASUS_M3N78-EM

These are minor tweaks... no adding of cards necessary. Mine is in the mail so when it arrives I'll report back ;)

pflegefall

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 11:48:31 pm »
I use this MB in my hybrid device with 710...
It works fine...
During install it is easier to add a PCI NIC to have internet access during kernel update and installation but it can be removed after installation. just follow the instructions in the wiki posted above...

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 06:09:18 am »
If you consider replacing kernels, nic drivers, and video drivers minor tweaks.   Go for it.

Tim
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

pflegefall

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 11:14:10 am »
sure... the kernel update is not a minor tweak...
but its feasible and if anybody has questions on the details...

just ask :-D

to get a surely working 710 on this motherboard...

I posted the versions of drivers and kernel in another thread here:
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=6838.msg48273#msg48273

dmainou

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 11:35:54 am »
Mate,

Do your research and it is valid to make as many q's as you want.

Some LinuxMCE gurus expect you to be at their level and can be a bit rude at you. Don't get dissapointed, they work hard for their product.

Some are more DTE.

For my part I had the same problem. The ones that seem proven are no longer available and of course there is a huge range of untested mobos.

I bought an ASUS P5n7a-vm after reading the mainboards area that there was no problems with it.

Sadly, after buying it a number of posts appeared about having problems. I haven't been able to get it off the ground with 7.10.

Having said that, I installed kubuntu 8.10 without trouble. I am happy to wait right now as I have bigger fish to fry at work.

Good luck!

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 01:17:07 am »

I'd just like to point out that I personally have used a mobo which worked great in kubuntu, but caused random crashes in LMCE.  It's not a perfect correlation. But, 8.10 should provide alot more hardware support purely from the newer kernel.