Author Topic: Dead MD  (Read 3269 times)

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Dead MD
« on: March 19, 2009, 10:23:18 pm »
I had my main lounge MD give up last night on me. It has been working pretty faultlessly probably for over a year and a half.

It was turned off by holding down the power button and then wouldn't turn back on again.

Symptoms are;
-no front light coming on or fans starting up when the power button is pressed
- motherboard (M2NPV-VM) light is coming on

I have already tried a new power supply and checked the power switch connections but I am stuck and what to do next.
What are some ideas for diagnosing this? Ideas?

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Dead MD
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 10:39:48 pm »
I would suggest pulling the CMOS battery out and either leaving it for a day to discharge, or most mobos have a jumper that you can make to discharge it instantly. I have seen that happen before on mobos where the CMOS memory for BIOS is either corrupted or not initialised yet...

abletechnician

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 10:41:20 pm »
If ya got a spare pc play swaptronics...

donpaul

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 11:04:21 pm »
Your power button is probably stuck. Pull the power plug from the motherboard terminal. If you have a reset button, move that plug over and use the reset button to power on, if no reset button, you'll need to splice in a new button for power or carefully do the screwdriver contact trick.

Good luck, don't fry your MB.

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 03:39:12 am »
Thanks all.

Colin - will try that. Certainly a conceivable scenario.

Donpaul - I was suspect of the power switch and already tried what you suggested (both with reset switch and temporarily shorting the motherboard pins to simulate the button). both had no effect :(

abletechnician - not too much to swap. The pc only has 1 stick DDR2 RAM and the CPU. Unfortunately, I don't have any other AM2 setups to swap the CPU, will try a RAM swap to see if that helps

Still open to any other things to try....

donpaul

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 04:30:17 am »
Buy a Dell gx280 from ebay and add a low profile pci-e GeForce 7200. It should run you around $100 and works perfect! Runs UI2 and practically silent.