Author Topic: Blu Ray please  (Read 9819 times)

powerbits

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Blu Ray please
« on: February 02, 2009, 12:26:21 pm »
Hey Guys

First , the people who see the software working on a nice LCD screen at 1080p are blown away by this software and its many features.
No Windoz OS has this..

But the question always comes, does it work with Blu ray?

There its a bit emberassing to say.. in future.. or DVD is also very good...

How far are we with Blu ray, this is very very important for a Mediacenter i think

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: Blu Ray please
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 01:23:15 pm »
Due to playback protection of Blu-Ray disks there is a big problem playing Blu-Ray disks under Linux.

Right now, you have two options:
  • Rip the Blu-Ray to the server. Playing it works
  • Use an external Blu-Ray player, and control it with LinuxMCE

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 04:29:45 pm »
Let me add my 2 cents.  Rip the Blu-Ray to the server under LMCE/Linux only works for a selection of older Blu-Ray disks.  I've been watching the progress and hopefully this will change in the near future, but for now it's probably not worth trying.  After following the progress I'm confident there will eventually be an opensource blu-ray ripping method.

Another option (possibly what posde meant??), is to rip the movie on a Windoze box using AnyDVD HD (commecial program, not opensource or free), then copy the movie or unprotected iso file to LMCE.  There may be other options/methods, but currently AnyDVD is the only reliable software I know if, and even that has a list of known movies it will not rip.

On the other hand, DVDs are still quite a bit cheaper, especially if you hit up places like Blockbuster and get their previously viewed DVDs.  Sound quality is pretty much the same, and while the picture quality isn't as good on a large screen HDTV, for me it's the better route to go until the cost of BR movies, including previously viewed movies, are on par with DVDs. 

<rant>One would hope that the movie industry would learn from the past and instead of wasting truck loads of money and driving up the cost of both BR disks and players to "protect" the movies they would focus on cheaper players and cheaper disks while letting their customer use it the way they want.  Seriously, if BR players were under $50, movies were $10 or less, and there was no content protection, who wouldn't switch to BR and rent or buy the movies they want to watch?  They can still go after pirates for all I care, one more incentive for people to buy cheap movies.  Cheap players, cheap movies, and no use restrictions seems like a far better way to avoid piracy than their current method.  </rant>

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 04:39:03 pm »
Welcome to the wonderful world of DRM (Digital Restrictions Management).  :-X
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

powerbits

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 04:46:36 pm »
I hope linux gets the rights soon.. fiddeling on windowsto get it on lmce is too much time wasting..

I see the Blu ray disk section getting bigger and bigger at the local video store... so come on.

Thats all i can say ;)

powerbits

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 04:51:29 pm »

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 05:15:05 pm »
i found this

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/BluRayAndHDDVD

Its already implemented in lmce  I even updated my lmce install to the latest versions
I can actually rib a BD but the resulting output does not play.

Tim
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 05:51:08 pm »
I hope linux gets the rights soon.. fiddeling on windowsto get it on LinuxMCE is too much time wasting..

I see the Blu ray disk section getting bigger and bigger at the local video store... so come on.

Thats all i can say ;)
Simply sticking your head in the sand and saying things like "so come on" isn't going to help resolve this issue.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 06:32:19 pm »
I personally like to use .mkv files, they are much smaller than just a BD rip. You still have to rip and convert on another PC, but I am okay with that. And supposedly in LMCE 810 there isnt the green artifact issue with .mkv's and we wont be forced to use mplayer which doesnt allow ffwd and rwd with mkv's. Anyway, I agree that for 90% of my movies I feel DVD quality is just as good with less $$ and time, there are about 10% though that I feel are worth the hassle to watch in 720 or 1080.

powerbits

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 12:40:48 pm »
I hope linux gets the rights soon.. fiddeling on windowsto get it on LinuxMCE is too much time wasting..

Thats all i can say ;)
Simply sticking your head in the sand and saying things like "so come on" isn't going to help resolve this issue.

Well i am sorry but i do not blame you guys or anything..
But all i can do is ask for it and hopefully many people will ask for it :)

If i could i would start righting code :lol:

but its good that people want it, no?

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 01:58:37 pm »

Thats all i can say ;)

Well i am sorry but i do not blame you guys or anything..
But all i can do is ask for it and hopefully many people will ask for it :)

If i could i would start righting code :lol:

but its good that people want it, no?

The point is that supporting BlueRay is not just a function of the Devs here working on support for it in LinuxMCE. Support for it needs to be improved in Linux generally... and this involves an enormous effort by people who have no direct involvement in this project - but who are developing software that is used in LinuxMCE.

All the best

Andrew
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 01:15:35 pm by totallymaxed »
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

Pablo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 01:28:20 am »
I thought the BD+ vm was cracked a few months ago? Am I mistaken, or is there some other obstacle?

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 02:52:24 am »
Looks like the Doom team are extremely close!

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=140571&page=34

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 03:33:12 am »
I tried ripping a blueray in LMCE and it couldn't complete the rip.  I then took it over to windows and used anyDVD.  I ripped it both to iso and to file.  Neither would play and I have one of those HD video cards.  So, at least in 7.10 (and on my system),  I had alot of trouble with blueray.  Perhaps 8.10 will do better.

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 08:57:21 am »
Any chance you can rip just part of the movie?  Just a short clip, a minute or less, and post a link to it for others (me) to test with?  I BELIEVE it's perfectly legal to post up just a small clip...  If not, then don't.

I assume you tried to watch the video under winders and it was ok....