Author Topic: why does mainboard choice matter so much? (core)  (Read 6401 times)

thedaver

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
why does mainboard choice matter so much? (core)
« on: January 31, 2009, 05:09:24 pm »
I'm not fishing for flames or trolls here, I really want to ask what seems to be a valid question...  If the mainboard/motherboard for my core machine is known to work with kubuntu, why is there so much information on the MCE wiki about specific mainboards?

From what I can gather, a lot of the mainboard issues arise around key areas:

- compatibility, capability, or issues with integrated video or lan components
- sata/pata and AHCI BIOS setting

My approach would be to
  • use a mainboard compatible with kubuntu
  • ensure it's onboard lan was known to work from kubuntu
  • add kubuntu supported 2nd nic
  • deal with internal sata/ahci/bios disk config per MCE wiki
  • disable onboard video
  • install video capture and video output cards to my needs per MCE wiki
  • install audio output cards to my needs per MCE wiki

At the risk of appearing dense, what point am I missing in this area... thanks in advance!
D

« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 05:15:28 pm by thedaver »

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
Re: why does mainboard choice matter so much? (core)
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 05:28:50 pm »
For 0710 lmce is picky about various hardware (chipsets) partially due to the kernel it is running and partly lmce itself.

Kernel has issue with some of the lan drivers and sound drivers.

Lmce is partial to 6x and 7x  nvidia chipsets

So add in hdmi into that mix

and it limits the motherboard choices.

Unfortunately its like pick your poison.
Every mother board has its quirks.

The 6x ones that work the best don't have dvi or hdmi

The blessing will be once 0810 comes support newer hardware but more importantly we can update 0810 lmce like any ubuntu distro (APT)
without the fear of it braking lmce  as it could /would in lmce 0710

HTH

TIM
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

Ray_N

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Your Plan B!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 06:34:33 pm »
   Additionally, one minor thing to keep in mind, but can complicate things greatly, is simply the issue of age. The fact that old motherboards, on where any operating system or media center solution or system is found to work 100% may not be available anymore from motherboard manufacturers. So if you're trying to build a new system from scratch (like I am right now), manufacturers may not be selling those appropriate 100%-working boards anymore...

Also, just by changing one component in the board, changes the entire numbering, and therefore it "becomes a different board".
For example, take a look at these two ASUS boards M3A78-EM and M3N78-EM  and you'll notice that basically, the only thing that changes is the onboard Video. So one board may work and the other may not.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010200022%2050001315%201070930149%201410330297&StoreType=-1&CompareItemList=N82E16813131324%2cN82E16813131354&bop=And

So that's why there's so much information on the wiki about specific motherboards.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 07:31:52 pm by Ray_N »

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 09:27:36 pm »
Really the most critical compat issue for the LMCE side of things is the video chipset. Its not only that it must "work", it must also have good, stable OpenGL support in the driver as this is what LMCE uses to drive the interface. So just displaying an image isn't enough, access to the graphics processor through OpenGL is necessary as well.

Lesser - audio is driven by ALSA, so the audio chipset needs an ALSA compatible driver (ie not OSS)

Most of the rest of the stuff is kernel specific as tk outlined.

pflegefall

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 02:16:17 pm »
sorry, but I don't think that the mainboard for the core (this is asked here (look at the title)) is not very critical...
As thedaver mentioned, the grafic can be disabled and shure you don't nead hdmi or what else...

you should look for a fast ethernet and low power consumption...

For a hybrid machine it becomes critical...

I didn't find a threat for the hybrid question so i will start a new one ;-)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 02:24:54 pm by pflegefall »

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 03:05:48 pm »
For a hybrid machine it becomes critical...

Good point for core only you are right  a lot of people say core when meaning hybrid. (he wrote core, I saw hybrid in my mind)
Thanks for the clarification.

Tim
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 01:13:24 pm »
I'm about to take the plunge, but am struggling to decide on exact equipment.

I'm planning to have a dedicated core, which I want to build myself. I already have a rack-mount case but need an ARX motherboard, CPU etc. (I have a PIII motherboard lying around, but I'm guessing I should avoid this). I'm on a VERY limited budget, so what would you folks suggest? I'm not a highly experienced PC spec-and-build er, although I have put systems together before.

I'm pretty sure I want to go LinuxMCE, although I don't need the automation (yet) so just MythTV is also tempting. One thing I nothiced is thet Myth allows you to create additional back-end devices for transcoding and / or recording. Thise power up using WOL when required and then power down again when they have finished. Can I do this with MCE? This would allow me to have a server "farm" which is easier to upgrade / add resources to.

I have some other questions too, but will start a separate thread for those ;)

TIA
Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 02:27:02 pm »
I'm about to take the plunge, but am struggling to decide on exact equipment.

I'm planning to have a dedicated core, which I want to build myself. I already have a rack-mount case but need an ARX motherboard, CPU etc. (I have a PIII motherboard lying around, but I'm guessing I should avoid this). I'm on a VERY limited budget, so what would you folks suggest? I'm not a highly experienced PC spec-and-build er, although I have put systems together before.

I'm pretty sure I want to go LinuxMCE, although I don't need the automation (yet) so just MythTV is also tempting. One thing I nothiced is thet Myth allows you to create additional back-end devices for transcoding and / or recording. Thise power up using WOL when required and then power down again when they have finished. Can I do this with MCE? This would allow me to have a server "farm" which is easier to upgrade / add resources to.

I have some other questions too, but will start a separate thread for those ;)

TIA
Try the old motherboard first if you're really on a tight budget.  And reading the FAQ in the wiki might not be a bad idea, this is not just a wrapper or plugin for mythtv.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

valent

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • /kernel_reloaded/
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 08:56:11 pm »
For 0710 LinuxMCE is picky about various hardware (chipsets) partially due to the kernel it is running and partly LinuxMCE itself.

Kernel has issue with some of the lan drivers and sound drivers.

Lmce is partial to 6x and 7x  nvidia chipsets

So add in hdmi into that mix

and it limits the motherboard choices.

Unfortunately its like pick your poison.
Every mother board has its quirks.

The 6x ones that work the best don't have dvi or hdmi

The blessing will be once 0810 comes support newer hardware but more importantly we can update 0810 LinuxMCE like any ubuntu distro (APT)
without the fear of it braking LinuxMCE  as it could /would in LinuxMCE 0710

HTH

TIM

Is somebody made compiled a new kernel with all updated drivers that would solve motherboard compatibility issues, am I wrong? It that works then we only need new kernel as .deb package to be produced so that other people can also install it and use it...

Has anybody done this already?
LinuxMCE - If it was easy, everybody would be doing it!!
My setup - http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Valent

valent

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • /kernel_reloaded/
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 09:44:10 pm »
I'm not fishing for flames or trolls here, I really want to ask what seems to be a valid question...  If the mainboard/motherboard for my core machine is known to work with kubuntu, why is there so much information on the MCE wiki about specific mainboards?

Where can I see on wiki info for specific motherboards that you are talking about? I'm looking for new motherboard and I can't find that info on wiki.

Thank you.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 09:46:37 pm »
A few people have upgraded their kernels and documented the process, but I would strongly recommend against dicking around with your kernel as it is highly likely you will break something. Particularly if you are not an expert in that area. It won't be long before the 0810 betas are out, and that has a much later release of the kernel (second most recent)...

valent

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • /kernel_reloaded/
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 10:06:05 pm »
A few people have upgraded their kernels and documented the process, but I would strongly recommend against dicking around with your kernel as it is highly likely you will break something. Particularly if you are not an expert in that area. It won't be long before the 0810 betas are out, and that has a much later release of the kernel (second most recent)...

It is hard to mess things up with kernel if you take few sane steps like not removing existing working kernel...
I would encourage people to do it :) Where are the those updated kernels, people share your kernels, don't be shy ;)