Author Topic: Insteon security question  (Read 2908 times)

greenhornet

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Insteon security question
« on: January 29, 2009, 10:07:42 pm »
I am ready to add some automation and I like the Insteon stuff for several reasons.  I'm looking at the M1 Gold (http://www.smarthome.com/128301I/INSTEON-Compatible-M1-Gold-Kit-Security-and-Automation-System/p.aspx) and I would like to know if it can be controlled by the M1 ethernet port expander (included).  It will likely not be anywhere near my core and so I would like a good way to connect.  I want this to be as close to plug and play as I can get, considering it's my first time.  If I'm heading down the wrong path, someone please let me know.

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
Re: Insteon security question
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 02:54:48 am »
Ok, Im going to say no it wont be plug and play as i've never seen anyone here mention it before. I wouldnt expect this to talk to linuxmce unless there was some research / development on it. Granted i could be completely wrong about its compatibility but I dont think it will work out of the box.
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

greenhornet

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 04:18:54 am »
Any suggestions on one that is plug & play (preferably Insteon)?

greenhornet

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 06:56:28 pm »
Ok, Im going to say no it wont be plug and play as i've never seen anyone here mention it before. I wouldnt expect this to talk to linuxmce unless there was some research / development on it. Granted i could be completely wrong about its compatibility but I dont think it will work out of the box.

I would think your statement is not completely accurate since the device is mentioned here in the wiki: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Insteon

I am looking for suggestions on which Insteon controller to buy.  I want one that's plug & play.  If this one will work, fine.  If not, I'd like a suggestion.

PeteK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 01:21:25 am »
If you're looking for an insteon controller that's compatible with LMCE, I suggest the Insteon PowerLinc Modem.  DDamron has a GSD-based driver for the serial-port version, and I'm currently (slowly) working on porting and expanding a driver I originally wrote for the USB-based PowerLinc Controller.