Author Topic: PPoE (ADSL) access on outside world network card ?  (Read 8260 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
PPoE (ADSL) access on outside world network card ?
« on: March 15, 2005, 02:16:46 pm »
Hi,

I'd like to setup ADSL modem access on network card for outside world. How to do that ? (I'm Debian newbie) ?

- my two network cards are assigned to ethx in wrong order (I'd like to have gigabit card on inside, 100mbit card on outside network - now is just opposite) - can I somehow determine assignment of cards to eth0 or eth1 - or even better can we have this configuration option in Pluto (so each card can be configured as outside/inside) ?

- what are options when setting single Firewalls rule ? There are several empty boxes with no name or explanation ...

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Re: PPoE (ADSL) access on outside world network card ?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 04:20:00 pm »
Quote from: "tinia"
I'd like to setup ADSL modem access on network card for outside world. How to do that ? (I'm Debian newbie) ?

What do you mean by "ADSL modem access on network card for outside world"?

- my two network cards are assigned to ethx in wrong order (I'd like to have gigabit card on inside, 100mbit card on outside network - now is just opposite) - can I somehow determine assignment of cards to eth0 or eth1 - or even better can we have this configuration option in Pluto (so each card can be configured as outside/inside) ?

Currently, at install time you can choose which card is the external one (if both get detected). A "swap interfaces" button is being added to the Networking page. There is no plan (yet) on supporting more than two cards. The first two ones found are used automatically.

Of course, you can always change a value in the database by hand.

"Hacking" info:
On the Core, in the pluto_main database, in the Device_DeviceData table there's an entry with FK_DeviceData=32:
It's value can be found with this SQL statement:
SELECT IK_DeviceData FROM Device_DeviceData WHERE FK_DeviceData=32;

It's format is a little less intuitive, but the general idea is that it follows this format: <external interface>,<data>|<internal interface>,<data>.

If you replace this entry with the interfaces swaped and reboot, you get the interfaces reversed.

You can be more hackerish by editing /usr/pluto/bin/Network_Parameters.sh and switching the ExtIf and IntIf variables in the ExtractData function, this way being easier, but it won't show up in the pluto-admin website.

I know this doesn't sound like "tech support", but until the "swap interfaces" feature is implemented, there is no other way but to either hack or reinstall and choose the other interface when asked. Sorry.

- what are options when setting single Firewalls rule ? There are several empty boxes with no name or explanation ...

The firewall allows two things to be done with it:
- outside access to the Core
- port forwarding to LAN machines

The boxes correspond to the table above, but I agree that some headers in there should be places.

You can specify the protocol, a port or range of ports to allow access to, a destination IP and port to forward that range of ports to (if you choose port_forward) and a rule type (core_input for outside access to the Core, port_forward for outside access to a port located on a computer inside the Network).

If you forward a port and specify a range for source, the destination port is taken as a starting point. For example, if you specify ports 1024-1028 and destination port 5000 on IP 1.2.3.4, you get ports 1024-1028 of the Core forwarded to ports 5000-5004 of 1.2.3.4.

Hope this helps.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 04:49:04 pm »
Quote from: "radu.c"

I mean this  ADSL modem <-----> eth0 - Pluto/Firewall - eth1 <-----> internal LAN.

So from eth0 to ADSL modem (I guess PPoE dialup app) instead of another gateway on router ...

Regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 11:50:25 am »
Quote from: "radu.c"

I mean this  ADSL modem <-----> eth0 - Pluto/Firewall - eth1 <-----> internal LAN.

So from eth0 to ADSL modem (I guess PPoE dialup app) instead of another gateway on router ...

I still don't understand what you want to do and if Pluto can do it for you, but here are a few possible answers to what interpretations I could make:

- The ADSL modem knows to forward all traffic it receives and you only want to specify the external interface but not a gateway IP. I never seen this setup and Pluto misbehaves if you leave the gateway field empty.

- You want to use the Pluto Core as an Internet Gateway, the ADSL modem being a transparent ethernet bridge to your provider, in which case you need the provider's gateway IP address. This is already done by the Pluto Core if you selected that you want it to act as a DHCP server for the internal network. All LAN computers should be set to use DHCP and after that they should be able to access the Internet.

- I never encountered this, but if you ADSL modem needs a "wake up" or "dial number" command (all ADSL modems I've seen were self-contained/standalone, i.e. after they were configured correctly, just plugging them in worked) I don't know how that is done and I could use the info if this is the case.