Author Topic: Possible Build and questions...  (Read 2791 times)

Alderon

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Possible Build and questions...
« on: January 28, 2009, 06:34:07 am »
Media Server:

Case:SILVERSTONE LC20
Motherboard:ASUS P5K PRO
Video Card: MSI GeForce 8500GT
TV Tuner:Help...
PSU:Thermaltake Purepower 500W
CPU:Intel Core 2 Duo E7300
Memory:G.SKILL 4GB
HDD:Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB
Sound Card:HT OMEGA STRIKER 7.1
Extra NIC:D-Link DGE-530T

I was planning on picking USB-UIRT and was planning on getting a MX-880 I have a 50'" Plasma with a ONKYO TX-SR606 and currently 5.1 in my media room. Last thing to feel complete would be a media center so I can put my DVD collection in one place. Plus going to college in a year, so this is more ideal then storing all my DVD's at school.

I tried picking out a good selection of hardware from suggestions that I was reading. I also got some extra fans to increase the airflow in the case.

1. I assume not, but would figure I would ask. Using the USB-UIRT, I should have no problems with programming and using the MX880 remote with LinuxMCE?

2. Is it better/easier to use onboard sound vs Internal sound card through PCI? Reason I got the selected Sound-Card because of my growing media stuff, wanted the choice to switch between Optical and Coaxial.

3. This video card has one DVI, one SVIDO, and one HDMI. Will I encounter any problems or should I get the traditional 2x DVI ports and just use HDMI apapter?

4. Anybody help with finding a good dual tuner card at Newegg? Having troubles finding one that is supported.

5. Just double checking: But if my system is overkill and I wouldnt mind saving some money. Wouldn't I be able to downgrade the CPU and Memory to like a 800 FSB instead of the current 1066 FSB on both and still use the same mobo?

6. What would your suggestion be for my NAS? Was planning just building a case with a microATX and throwing four TB drives in there with good cooling? Should I Raid 5 them, or just not raid them and just share each drive separately? I have a copy of Windows 2003 Enterprise from a school promotion thing, but was thinking just using FreeNAS or another open source program out there. What would be the best way to have lots of space with some security? Cause planning on getting all my collection of DVD's on here and wanna use this for a long time as the collection grows.

7. What is the easiest PnP extra NIC I could get? Just picked the DLink for now.

Thanks in advance, I just wanna look before I leap to avoid problems.

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
Re: Possible Build and questions...
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 07:04:15 am »
Over Kill yes

looks like a windows box to me

no need for 4gb 2 is more than enough

Audio most use on-board

Is that sound card even linux compatible

Why not on board video

intel nics usually work pnp

HTH

Tim
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 07:04:41 am »
Yes, get the USB UIRT. But don't use an IR remote. IR remotes are the lowest end of the totem pole for controlling LinuxMCE, and there are far better ways:

* an orbiter, orbiter can run on any windows PC, old windows PDA, tablet PC, Nokia N810, supported cell phone, etc.
* A Gyration Go Mouse.

etc.

Orbiters have the advantage of being able to control your system even when LinuxMCE has turned the display off after inactivity.

Also, get a Xantech 286 double-emitter, so that you can control two IR devices even if they are not within line of sight of the emitter. Keep in mind, most of us use the UIRT _not_ for using a remote, but for controlling AV devices. Attach an emitter to your TV and your amplifier, let LMCE control them, get rid of a few remotes.

You may want to make sure your sound card is supported, and if possible use the S/PDIF connection to your amplifier.

As for a tuner card: here are your choices:

* Hauppauge PVR-150, get one off ebay (SD)
* HDHomeRun for HD

don't mess with anything else, unless you are willing to help us write device templates for them.

-Thom

Alderon

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 07:40:05 am »
heh, that was a big fail with the soundcard. Ill just use onboard, added the HDHomeRun, nix'd the remote and will probably order a N800 from Ebay.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 07:59:51 am »
Would highly recommend one of the WebDT366 web pads that Thom and tkmedia are selling - they are the deal if you are prepared to spring for $350 (they were around $1800 new, but these come config'd to run LMCE Orbiter out of the box)

The Fiire remotes are very good as well. I understand that the Gyration ones are pretty good, too but not as LMCE specific like the Follow Me function (Gyration make Fiire's remotes for them, so they are the same technology internally)

I also use just a Logitech Nano wireless mouse.

As tk says, 2GB is more than enough literally... you'd almost certainly get away with 1GB no probs at all and still only be tickling the swap file!

You don't need to swap between optical and coax, that's just silly! Choose one and stick to it. I'd go with optical. If there is onboard, then use that, no reason at all to add a card - just ensure the sound chipset has good Linux (alsa) support.

As for video - if you have a decent nVidia graphics chipset onboard then use it. You don't need anything high end - 6200 is plenty. Many use 7200, 7300(me), 7600, 8200, 8300, 8400, 8600 - but frankly all of these are overkill for LMCE!

Plenty of people out there using FreeNAS, I'd go with that. Using Windows for a NAS is beyond the pain, so I won't even answer that one!