Author Topic: Resolution Settings  (Read 3129 times)

Raul102801

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Resolution Settings
« on: January 15, 2009, 05:29:28 pm »
Is there a place to look at what the current settings are? I have looked around but other than going to the advanced tab and advanced tab and to video resolution and audio setup which doesn't really tell me what my settings are, it just restarts and brings up the av wizard for me to choose new settings.

nosebreaker

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Resolution Settings
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 08:00:32 pm »
I think it hard-codes the values you specify in the A/V wizard in /etc/X11/xorg.conf - not sure if there is anywhere else to check.

itsmeok

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 09:17:34 pm »
Did you try through the LinuxMCE admin webpage, Media directors, Video settings

I managed to change my resolution their.

Raul102801

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 10:52:03 pm »
you are right itsmeok... Looks like I can change them from there.
I have read the Wiki on the AV pages saw something about pressing 1-5 to change video output on the video card and 6-0 to change resolution, I think it said something about holding the key for 15 seconds? not sure though I could not make it work... Do I need to be on a specific screen for that? are there really keyboard shortcuts to change resolutions?

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 12:58:17 am »
If you read through the log file, it will tell you in detail (among lots of other information that will be irrelevant to you) what it has set. If you have EDID turned on, it will flood the log even more with all the probing and testing, and listing of valid/invalid modes. But towards the end of the video section, it will tell you what the default setting is and whether it was able to select that or not based on its mode checking... and if not, what it chose instead.

/var/log/Xorg.0.log

Also, the nvidia-settings utility from KDE desktop will give you detailed info

itsmeok

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 05:11:30 pm »
you are right itsmeok... Looks like I can change them from there.
I have read the Wiki on the AV pages saw something about pressing 1-5 to change video output on the video card and 6-0 to change resolution, I think it said something about holding the key for 15 seconds? not sure though I could not make it work... Do I need to be on a specific screen for that? are there really keyboard shortcuts to change resolutions?

Yes there are keyboard shortcuts. But you need to use them at startup time when you hear the beep. I think that is the only time that you can change these using the shortcuts. For me I prevere to use the admin tool. I am still looking for a way to load the nvidia settings at boot time. The proposed solution is not working on my system. I use the NVIDIA settings to optimize the picture on my screen as I am using an old fashioned Philips widescreen tube (picture is very good actually).

So during boot keep shift pressed for a few moment at the first beep. You will get to the AVwizardscreen. Or at the second beep use the instrictions of the wiki:

Another method to choose the resolutions and the connector is by pressing some keyboard keys. By default, the AV Wizard has the resolution 640x480 on VGA. To choose the connector you have to press the keys from 1 to 5 (1=DVI, 2=VGA, 3=Component, 4=Composite, 5=S-Video). To choose a resolution you have to press the keys from 6 to 0 (6=640x480, 7=1024x768, 8=720p, 9=1080i, 0=1080p). For choosing the resolution and connector you have to be in the initial screen of AV Wizard.