Author Topic: wait for 8 or build on 7? Jan 27 2009  (Read 2939 times)

thedaver

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
wait for 8 or build on 7? Jan 27 2009
« on: January 27, 2009, 02:08:44 pm »
gurus, I'm not far from building my first core and at least two MDs.  I'm keeping my eye on the v8 MCE, but no news posted in almost 2 months.  I could wait if 8's getting close, otherwise I'll go to 710.  Some strategery from you would be most welcome, I don't want to build this thing twice in a short period of time.

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
Re: wait for 8 or build on 7? Jan 27 2009
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 02:11:06 pm »
gurus, I'm not far from building my first core and at least two MDs.  I'm keeping my eye on the v8 MCE, but no news posted in almost 2 months.  I could wait if 8's getting close, otherwise I'll go to 710.  Some strategery from you would be most welcome, I don't want to build this thing twice in a short period of time.

I think you'll end up building it a couple times anyway, as it's a lot to take it in and will likely require a few runs at it the first time anyway.

So given that though, I'd go ahead and use the single layer 7.10RC2 DVD and start learning.

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 02:32:29 pm »
 :)
I would build one with 7.10rc2.
I have to agree with freymann, you will build your system at least a couple of times. Get in now, get your feet wet, record some stuff, start building your media collection.

8.10 might be a ways off yet, and installing 7.10 will get you some experience.

Best regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

thedaver

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 03:05:47 pm »
I'm pulling the i386 DVD from torrent right now.  My compliments to the torrent community supporting MCE on the seed speeds, fastest torrent download rate I've ever experienced...  1131KBps download reported by rtorrent!  That's something like 9Mbps sustained!