Author Topic: Installing Other Software - Replace Current Server  (Read 2946 times)

lemming86_au

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Josh Hagger
Installing Other Software - Replace Current Server
« on: January 27, 2009, 06:32:55 am »
Hello,

I'm about to implement a LinuxMCE setup in my home.
It will be replacing my existing firewall & phone system, so I thought, why cant it replace my existing M$ server as well.

I would like to set it up to be:
- Mail server with web interface, IMAP support, etc.
- Wiki server & web server (with host header routing)
- LDAP authentication
- File / print server
& basically anything else I can think of I might need.

Could any one tell me if it can be done safely & if any of these will cause problems (& maybe even suggest some good programs to fulfill these needs  ;D )

Regards,
Josh
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 06:43:44 am by lemming86_au »

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: Installing Other Software - Replace Current Server
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 11:40:50 pm »
If I were you, I would start with lmce and get to know lmce inside and out. In 3-6 month time, you will be able to make the decision to either add the additional services to the system, or keep a different system.

Some people put everything into a single system, other people prefer to keep things separate.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 01:36:44 am »
If I were you, I would start with LinuxMCE and get to know LinuxMCE inside and out. In 3-6 month time, you will be able to make the decision to either add the additional services to the system, or keep a different system.

Some people put everything into a single system, other people prefer to keep things separate.

Seconded!

lemming86_au

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Josh Hagger
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 01:58:39 am »
I have been playing with it for several months now in a test environment & am loving it.
Broken & reinstalled more time than I care to think  ;D but thats what testing is!

I'm not going to jump in straight away, I just wanted to harvest those big minds of yours for some knowledge & to see if anyone had tried simillar.

Josh