Author Topic: Disappointing (no) install  (Read 5211 times)

Nexus7

• View Profile
Disappointing (no) install
« on: January 26, 2009, 08:38:20 am »
Popped in the 0710 RC2 DVD for amd64 and fired the box up. Gave me the Kubuntu splash screen, I selected the install option, screen blanks, stays blank. The mobo LED readout appears to be cycling through the hardware initialization and transferring control to the OS. Maybe it is continuously rebooting - don't know 'cause I can't see anything. Tried using the DVI->VGA adapter, went through the number keys... nothing.

Hardware is Biostar TPower X58 with Core i7 920, and EVGA 9800GTX+. Is this too new for LinuxMCE?

Ah well, will try my usual Debian with MythTV now.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: Disappointing (no) install
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 04:44:37 pm »
Sounds like you'll need newer nvidia drivers, see "Display Drivers" in the wiki for info.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

Nexus7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 05:21:10 pm »
Sounds like you'll need newer nvidia drivers, see "Display Drivers" in the wiki for info.

The wiki says to install updated drivers using a console, and I'm comfortable doing that. The problem is that I get no display at all at any time. The only LinuxMCE/Kubuntu screen I see is that first one with the 3 options of install, memtest, and boot from hard disk. So I'm not able to install anything; whereas the steps described in the wiki need a running Debian/Kubuntu system.

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 06:47:56 pm »
i've seen that once with an old TFT monitor. It was very picky about the horizontal frequency. It did not display any picture on the console until X came up (did the setup with another screen).

br, Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 11:11:01 pm »
You haven't got a video card as well as onboard graphics have you? In any case, as hari says, try just a simple VGA monitor, something other than you are using right now. If you see the boot screen menu then unless you have multiple graphics chipsets you should see the rest until just before the AV Wizard. Although it is possible it could be a weird screen pickiness thing!

btw, don't both pressing the keys - that is for the AV Wizard at the end of the install after a reboot, 40 mins later. After the install option it asks you questions about which drive to install on ... it is just sitting there waiting for you to answer and not doing anything. Best not to press keys blind if you have any drives with valuable info on in that machine! No, it isn't rebooting, otherwise you would see the Power On Self Test BIOS screens etc each time.

Nexus7

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 05:14:39 am »
You haven't got a video card as well as onboard graphics have you? In any case, as hari says, try just a simple VGA monitor, something other than you are using right now. If you see the boot screen menu then unless you have multiple graphics chipsets you should see the rest until just before the AV Wizard. Although it is possible it could be a weird screen pickiness thing!

It is a monitor that has DVI and VGA inputs, and I tried both. The graphics card itself has two DVI outs, both of which I tried, with and without the DVI->VGA adapter. The keyboard keeps getting initialized repeatedly, so perhaps it is trying to find the proper framebuffer mode, or X modeline (don't know if the installer uses an fb or X).

Debian (testing) installed smoothly, and brought up X fine. I assume it is using the free "nv" driver, I'll have to look more closely later.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 10:20:59 am »
you didn't answer the very first question!

Nexus7

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 06:15:32 pm »
you didn't answer the very first question!

There is no on-board video. To date, none of the X58 mobos have on-board video.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 07:02:10 pm by Nexus7 »

indulis

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 05:20:21 am »
How about just running the 32-bit version?  There seem to be a lot less issues with the 32-bit install, and few limitations that you will hit that would be solved with the 64-bit version.

roberto99

• Veteran
  • ...dreams of becoming a LMCExpert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 03:07:22 pm »
Did you try the 32bit installer?
I am curious as I will be getting a x58 board too

cheers
Roberto

Friesian

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 05:24:41 pm »
My Asus p6t deluxe (x58 board) & core i7 920- works with amd64 dvd install core/hybrid running a nvidia 7800GTX.

Any chance you have (or could borrow) an older video card to get things installed and then you can update your drivers?

roberto99

• Veteran
  • ...dreams of becoming a LMCExpert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 10:44:57 pm »
Friesian, did you have any issue installing the amd64 version (like display/graphics problem) and had therefore to follow any special procedure? If yes, which one?

Roberto