Author Topic: For new Linux MCE users  (Read 8528 times)

itsmeok

• Veteran
    • View Profile
For new Linux MCE users
« on: January 25, 2009, 05:04:04 pm »
I recently started using LinuxMCE and with my journey though Linux and MCE land I have collected the steps done. A lot of my questions have been answered by the wiki or the forum. By time I needed help to find the right information. I see a lot of my questions coming back on the forum from other new users. I started with documenting my experience and steps taken in the wiki. I think this might be of interest to new users. Please have a look and comment in this tread on this forum if you have thoughts or ideas and if it is helpfull (it is taking considerable time).

For more experienced users you can see the things I am still planning to do but do not know yet how to do it. Please feel free to make suggestions or point me to the right source of information. Guess the easiest way would be to send me a message. I will add it to wiki so more newbies can benefit from it.

For now a big thanks to everyone who has helped me and a lot of fun with LinuxMCE as I think it is a great piece of work.

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Itsmeok

Please leave a message if you find this beneficial. This will encourage me to continue this effort
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 12:23:59 pm by itsmeok »

rthuey

• View Profile
Re: For new Linux MCE users
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 11:48:58 pm »
can each of us make our own user page?
are there guidelines?

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 11:50:53 pm »
can each of us make our own user page?
are there guidelines?

Yes, just create an account and login to the wiki.
Guidelines "be nice!"

rthuey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 04:05:24 am »
did that. how can i get changes to my user name. whine i know. it capitalized my first letter

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 08:46:34 am »
[..]it capitalized my first letter

A wiki article always starts with an uppercase letter

lozarythmic

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 11:33:06 pm »
Nice work mate! I'm starting a project of my own from scratch and have been scanning these forums for ages. As with most open source projects there's usually someone somewhere who's had the same problem as you ;)

I think I'll sign up to the wiki now and start documenting the build!

itsmeok

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 05:45:41 pm »
Thanks for your message. Leave the link to your personal page in the post. Others then can see what you are doing aswell.

indulis

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 01:14:59 am »
Sounds like a good thing that you are doing!

Could I suggest that you create "mini-articles" for each of your steps, then you can both reference them and include them in your own personal page, and also iinclude them on the appropriate page in the main Wiki.

The problem with putting all information on "what I did" pages is that someone might have to read all of the user pages to get an answer- say you talk about how to get the VFD running on your case, and someone else talks about how a particular motherboard has a procedure to get the NIC working.

It'd be good to be able to look at the "motherboard" pages and the "cases" pages to get the info I (as a new user) needed instead of trawling/searching through individual pages.

I actually did this restructuring for the Newbie packs a while ago, then all of the editing was lost in a wiki crash.  My reasoning was that it was silly to have the same information repeated in both the "core" and "hybrid" wiki pages, it made a lot more sense to just have them both reference a single paragraph about (say) using the Pioneer DVR-216 as a recommended component.  Makes future editing easier too (one place to change info not 2).

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 01:45:47 am »

Could I suggest that you create "mini-articles" for each of your steps, then you can both reference them and include them in your own personal page, and also iinclude them on the appropriate page in the main Wiki.

The problem with putting all information on "what I did" pages is that someone might have to read all of the user pages to get an answer- say you talk about how to get the VFD running on your case, and someone else talks about how a particular motherboard has a procedure to get the NIC working.

It'd be good to be able to look at the "motherboard" pages and the "cases" pages to get the info I (as a new user) needed instead of trawling/searching through individual pages.

I actually did this restructuring for the Newbie packs a while ago, then all of the editing was lost in a wiki crash.  My reasoning was that it was silly to have the same information repeated in both the "core" and "hybrid" wiki pages, it made a lot more sense to just have them both reference a single paragraph about (say) using the Pioneer DVR-216 as a recommended component.  Makes future editing easier too (one place to change info not 2).

This is done already by properly categorizing the content in your personal wiki page. I.e. if you have an Standard Def setup, it should be categorized as such. This makes the user setups section easier to navigate as you can narrow down what specifically your looking for.

hth
golgoj4

btw thanks for adding your setups. Ive been trying for a while to get folks to add theirs :)
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

itsmeok

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 01:14:02 pm »
There is already a user manual section. The thing I was missing is what are others doing and how they did it. That is why I started my user page. I am willing to work at a centralized version of this if there is more interest.

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User_Manual

rthuey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 08:52:59 pm »

This is done already by properly categorizing the content in your personal wiki page. I.e. if you have an Standard Def setup, it should be categorized as such. This makes the user setups section easier to navigate as you can narrow down what specifically your looking for.

hth
golgoj4

btw thanks for adding your setups. Ive been trying for a while to get folks to add theirs :)

sounds like there might 2 or 3 noobs that are willing to do some documentation of their experiences. how bout a guide and step by step to get us going in the right direction to how we can build upon what is already here. create mini articles, categorize, reference. How and where my friend?

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 12:02:02 am »
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 03:01:45 am »
For starters, you can check: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Add_a_page_to_the_wiki

Zaerc is correct. In addition, the help button directs you to all the wiki code you need. Or look at existing pages to see how they are formatted.
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

itsmeok

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 07:54:11 am »
For starters, you can check: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Add_a_page_to_the_wiki

Zaerc is correct. In addition, the help button directs you to all the wiki code you need. Or look at existing pages to see how they are formatted.

Well this is exactly the reason why I started my page. Most information is there but it not always easy to find by new users. With my page I am trying to connect all the pages that I used for getting my system installed and configured to my liking. As a suggestions to the more knowledgeable users I would like to say that a one sentence answer is sometimes difficult to understand. I hope to be able to help others more out if I am bit further. I already see the same questions on the forum all the time.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2009, 01:05:20 pm »

Well this is exactly the reason why I started my page. Most information is there but it not always easy to find by new users. With my page I am trying to connect all the pages that I used for getting my system installed and configured to my liking. As a suggestions to the more knowledgeable users I would like to say that a one sentence answer is sometimes difficult to understand. I hope to be able to help others more out if I am bit further. I already see the same questions on the forum all the time.
That's really nice and all, but if you don't understand an answer you should ask more specificly and indicate what exactly you're having trouble with.  We really can't write a whole essay on every single question, and often that is not needed anyway.

"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous