Author Topic: Is there a card with component input for my STB?  (Read 3554 times)

ratones

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Is there a card with component input for my STB?
« on: January 22, 2009, 11:11:53 pm »
Hey guys,
I've been looking for a card with component input for my satellite box.
Any suggestions? I'm thinking component not to lose resolution of my HD channels.
Should I even worry about that?
If not, what card should I get?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a card with component input for my STB?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 11:15:21 pm »
Hauppauge released the HD-PVR, early last year. There is an alpha driver for linux available from Janne G. of the MythTV project, however, we still need a device template created for this device, along with any requisite driver files needed to make the device plug and play as both a MythTV source, and as a np_xxxxx media source.

-Thom

ratones

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 03:13:19 pm »
I really wanted to get started with something that has already been tested.
So from searching google and this forum I take that the PVR 150 MCE is a safe choice, right?
Problem being that I can't find a place to buy it from... any ideas?

I already have a hybrid (white box), so currently I'm missing a tuner, IR receiver and a remote.
I also tried to use my blackberry (through bluetooth) to control it, no dice.

To summarize:
Tuner: Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150 MCE (safe choice, can always buy a HD one later)
IR: USB-UIRT (kinda expensive, but priceless if it really can control all my devices flawlessly: satellite box, tv, home theater)
remote: I believe I could use any as long as I have it set up right, am I right?

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 03:34:24 pm »
Yes Usbuirt correctly set up can do what you ask try sagetv.com I think they still have pvr 150's

Tim
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 03:49:44 pm »
Tuner: Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150 MCE (safe choice, can always buy a HD one later)
IR: USB-UIRT (kinda expensive, but priceless if it really can control all my devices flawlessly: satellite box, tv, home theater)
remote: I believe I could use any as long as I have it set up right, am I right?

Look on eBay for the PVR-150's. Make sure you get the right model. Just buy the card if you can, you don't need the bundled remote and IR Transceiver. It'll be cheaper to buy a card and just a remote separately.

eBay will also have cheap MCE Remotes. Get one from this group:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Windows_MCE_Remote

The USB-UIRT is definitely the way to go. Mine control the satellite dish, tv and stereo quite easily, and I use ONE remote now instead of 4 or 5.

leeroyjenkinsii

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 03:15:44 am »
Ok.  This one has me confused.  According to colinjones "Component is not digital, dunno where that idea came from, component (as composite, s-video, VGA, etc) is analogue".  Since this is the case if you use component cables from your STB you still will not get true HD content.  So it seems that LinuxMCE CANNOT do full HD content especiall since there is no supported HDMI capture card.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 03:36:34 am »
No, you've got completely the wrong end of the stick. Read my reply to you in the other thread for details.

I believe your misunderstanding that component can be digital comes from your incorrect association of HD with digital. They are not the same. HD can be digital (eg through HDMI or DVI) or analogue (through VGA, Component, etc)

leeroyjenkinsii

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 03:55:29 am »
Ok.  Thanks a lot collin.  Believe it or not I'm not trying to be a jerk here.  I'm learning a lot on many levels and I'm sure that these idiot posts will help other idiots.  There are a lot of us out there.  Usually we can be found in fender benders and stuck in elevators but maybe with help like this we can get a bit smarter and tax general society less.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 04:26:49 am »
I wasn't assuming you were being a jerk at all... I'm just being very clear and specific in my responses! (esp coming from a few others posts that were trying and willfully obtuse, and its VERY hot here today, sweltering in my computer room at nearly 38C!)