Author Topic: Connecting LinuxMCE/MythTv to Fios QIP2500-3 STB (set top box)  (Read 9685 times)

domanows

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Connecting LinuxMCE/MythTv to Fios QIP2500-3 STB (set top box)
« on: January 21, 2009, 05:26:46 am »
Folks,
Although I am pretty good at programming and configuring Linux, the serial ports and usb ports have always confused me.
I have a QIP2500-3 STB from Verizon for my fios.  It has no FireWire Port, but it does have a serial port. 

I read on one of the 1000 pages I have been searching that the changechannel.py program found in /usr/share/doc/mythtv-backend/contrib/channel_changers could change the channels via serial port.

I purchased a USB to Serial cable.  I also installed pyserial-2.4 to get changechannel.py to work.  Although the program doesn't error out, it is not changing the channel on the QIP2500-3 Set top box. I have tried running as root to avoid any permissions issues as /usr/local/bin/changechannel.py 042.  I have tried a bunch of number combinations and lengths with no luck

Here are my questions.
1. Will this even work, or do I need some other channel changer solution
2. I believe my the correct serial port is /dev/ttyS1 but how can I verify this

This is really humbling.  I have been using Linux all the way back to 7.3.  I used MythTV for 3 years with basic cable, but this really has me stumped.

Thanks much.
Matt

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
Re: Connecting LinuxMCE/MythTv to Fios QIP2500-3 STB (set top box)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 03:35:59 pm »
Usb to serial ports do not show up as tty1 they look more like pci0000:000/0000 etc

HTH

Tim
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

domanows

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 03:44:44 pm »
tkmedia,

Thanks for the info.  How do you access the serial to USB cable?

When I plug it in syslog reports
Jan 21 09:42:32 dcerouter kernel: [40849.280676] usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 4
Jan 21 09:42:32 dcerouter kernel: [40849.442498] usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

and lsusb returns

Bus 005 Device 003: ID 058f:6362 Alcor Micro Corp.
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000 
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000 
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000 
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000 
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 05ad:0fba Y.C. Cable U.S.A., Inc.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000 

But how does this translate into a serial port to be used by a channel changer program such as changechannel.py?

Thanks,
Matt

domanows

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
SOLVED Re: Connecting LinuxMCE/MythTv to Fios QIP2500-3 STB (set top box)
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 06:50:30 pm »
Solved it. The LinuxMCE kernel 2.6.22-14 has a bug in the pl2303 driver. When I connected the cable to another box running kernel  2.6.25.4-30, ttyUSB0 appeared. 

The changechannel.py also needs to be changed to handle 4 digits.  Here is the snippit
else:
        CHANKEY=''
        CHANCODE=''
        if (len(cmdarg) > 4):
                print "too many chars!"
        else:
                lenc=len(cmdarg)
                if (lenc == 4):
                        chanset=cmdarg
                else:
                        if (lenc == 3):
                                chanset="0"+cmdarg
                        else:
                                if (lenc == 2):
                                        chanset="00"+cmdarg
                                else:
                                        if (lenc == 1):
                                                chanset="000"+cmdarg
        for num in [1,2,3,4]:

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 09:46:59 pm »
What's the bug? I'm using a 2303 chip (I think most people do) but doesn't seem to be an issue...

domanows

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 11:18:17 pm »
colinjones,

There were two problems.  First, the Fios Box I had required 4 digits to change the channel not 3.  Thats why the changechannel.py needed to be modified.  The second is a bug in the pl2303 driver.  The serial/usb cable I am using doesn't connect up correctly, so I don't get a /dev/ttyUSB0.

I almost have all the issues resolved, but I cannot seem to compile that pl2303 driver with the patch.  That question probably isn't appropriate for this thread, so I am going to post a new one.

Glad that yours works though..

Matt

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 11:41:14 pm »
I would suggest instead of bolting this into mythtv, to put the original channel change script back in place, and do a proper device template so that others can use this, please.

Please stop duct taping it in.

-Thom

domanows

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 11:54:06 pm »
Thom,

I want to become a contributing member to LinuxMCE.  The challenge however, is that the original changechannel.py craps out with an error message if you enter 4 digits.  I am not sure how to create a template to send 4 digits to a script that only accepts 3 digits.  I will do some research on how to create the device template. 

Questions
1. To whom should I post the device template once complete?
2. Please advise on how to get around the digit restrictions in changechannel.py

As an FYI, there is a driver issue with pl2303 in the 2.6.22-14 kernel that I still need to address.  Please see http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=7242.0;topicseen

Thanks

emachala

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 02:49:03 am »
IM currently thinking on changing to Verizon Fios is the  QIP2500-3 STB the standard STB... have u found the solution would be handy for me .... but my question is that i plan to have 7 media directors with 7 tv capture cards for using fios boxes.... what type of tv capture cards are you using ... cause i have not bought mine yet but would like to get good one that work with fios... is IR controlling Multiple STB's with mutiple MD's not an option with verizon?

Thanks

If you need any help ask im currently building my Linuxmce system

Thom,

I want to become a contributing member to LinuxMCE.  The challenge however, is that the original changechannel.py craps out with an error message if you enter 4 digits.  I am not sure how to create a template to send 4 digits to a script that only accepts 3 digits.  I will do some research on how to create the device template. 

Questions
1. To whom should I post the device template once complete?
2. Please advise on how to get around the digit restrictions in changechannel.py

As an FYI, there is a driver issue with pl2303 in the 2.6.22-14 kernel that I still need to address.  Please see http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=7242.0;topicseen

Thanks
-emac

-----------------------------
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Emachala

domanows

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 04:00:06 pm »
emachala,

Sorry for the late reply.  My basement just got trashed after a winter thaw and just finished having it waterproofed.  My lab was down there, so I haven't been playing with LinuxMCE until now.

In answer to your question, I'm just using the Hauppage PVR150 that I used to use with basic Adelphia Cable.  I know it works with Fios through the composite in jacks, but its not HD.  Currently, I don't care, because we only have one HDTV.

I wouldn't use IR to control the box, you can use a serial cable and modify the changechannel.py script that comes with the MythTV bundle.  I'm going to look into how to submit the revision to LinuxMCE, but currently, I just want to get it working.

Question for you.  How are you handling the Remote Control issue?  I really don't want an ugly IR dongle on my media directors.  Having 7 media directors, I'll bet you found a cheap elegant director solution.

Matt