Author Topic: LMCE directory structure? Show folders not all files?  (Read 4641 times)

nosebreaker

• Guru
    • View Profile
LMCE directory structure? Show folders not all files?
« on: January 19, 2009, 11:16:04 pm »
So I formatted /dev/sdb1 and lmce picked it up, I told it all files on the drive are public, so it created a Storage41$ share for windows and I started copying files over.

Now the newbie question: how do I make it show folders?  Right now it is showing every single file in the view.  I couldn't find it in the wiki, I'm sure it has to be there though.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: LMCE directory structure? Show folders not all files?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 11:19:22 pm »
You need to have told it to use the LMCE directory structure when it asked. Then in the media grid under Sort, choose Filename.

nosebreaker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 01:05:54 am »
Oh, I see that when I choose filename it is only looking in the default location, which right now only has one directory.  Can I make a link to the other drive in here?

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 04:02:50 am »
Oh, I see that when I choose filename it is only looking in the default location, which right now only has one directory.  Can I make a link to the other drive in here?
Again, NO do not mount or symlink drives manually, but somehow I doubt you will listen this time.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 04:09:03 am »

What other drive?? I've no idea which drives you are talking about now.

Any drives that are added (locally or remotely) to LMCE correctly and are marked to use LMCE directory structure will appear in the Filename sort mode along side each other. Do not create symlinks or mounts as you will break LMCE (Guaranteed!) it manages all this for you, and links/mounts as necessary. If you do not see the drives then something is wrong, trying to link/mount manually is simply patching the symptom not the cause and will break your system.

If you have more than one drive (other than the system one), each should prompt you as they are discovered. You say "yes" to the LMCE structure, then after the media is scanned in, in Filename sort mode you will see them all collated together irrespective of where they physically are and you can browse by folder structure. Once you have tagged your data and you sort by any other mode, all media from all locations will be merged together as if they were in the same location and visible from all Media Directors in the same format.

nosebreaker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 04:04:32 pm »
Ok, I just didn't want to have to format the drive, mark it as LMCE, and copy all the data over again.  It took 2 solid days!  When it prompted I thought it was using LMCE format since it asked and I said to make it all public, then I realized it didn't do anything to the drive.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 11:19:41 pm »
If you specify the drive to be used with an lmce structure, you will NOT loose your existing data on the drive. It will just add a directory structure. And YOU can easily move your files into this directory structure as you see fit. To be on the save side, I would look in the wiki for folderlock, to make sure updatemedia ignores the files while you move them around.

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 02:05:10 am »
Yes, using lmce directory structure creates folders like audio, video, pictures, etc.  It doesn't format.  Then, you can just go into KDE desktop and move your media into the appropriate folder.  Shouldn't take any time as you're just moving files within the harddrive, not copying or cutting.  Also, using lmce structure helps alot when using the media files sync plugin in the web admin, but that's a little more advance.

nosebreaker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 10:28:56 pm »
I didn't see this reply until afterwards.  I ended up formatting it anyway and recopying the data.  Thanks for the info though, if I have to do it again I'll be sure to try that first.

One minor final quick thing, So now all media is on the 3TB array, and I've sorted it into folder.  So now it shows up in the Filename list as 9650SE_blahblah_hugename, and for now I assigned it a picture.  So each time I have to choose the array to see what I want.  Can I somehow make it default into this directory when I choose this view?  Oh I also noticed that my orbiter doesn't remember that I chose filename view each time, and seems to default to title.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 10:55:33 pm »
OK, now you need to start tagging your media files with attributes. The Filename sort mode is really a last resort thing. If your media is tagged, you should use one of the other sort modes as folder heirarchy is then irrelevant, you are slicing 'n' dicing via attributes instead, and so always get dropped in among your media.

The Sort mode is remembered - its only if you reload the router or reboot the system it defaults. That is something that has already been logged as a feature request a long time ago (to remember the setting over reboots/reloads) so hopefully in time...