Author Topic: problem with networking. in a vm machine.  (Read 2296 times)

aussie

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
problem with networking. in a vm machine.
« on: January 18, 2009, 03:00:31 am »
Hey i have managed to install LMCE on a virtual machine, VMWARE through windows,       i am having problems getting my windows machine reconised by LMCE in the VM, i know its possible i have managed to get simple share sometimes from my shared paths, but now i can get anything....    i believe this to be the problem for my error messages when trying to connect to the HAdesigner.

any ideas?

ty aussie.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: problem with networking. in a vm machine.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 03:43:26 am »
Are you bridging the virtual NIC with the physical NIC? If so, then the ethernet frames should be fully switchable at the data link layer - make sure you can ping each's IP address from the other. Most importantly, have you set up 2 virtual NICs on the core and connected them appropriately? LMCE needs to see eth0 as the "external" NIC and not be connected directly to the Windows machine. And eth1 as the "internal" NIC which much be on the same subnet, segment and broadcast domain as the Windows PC.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: problem with networking. in a vm machine.
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 12:07:47 pm »
User questions go into the user section! ::)  This has nothing to do with development and will be moved.

You probably have to turn off VMWare's internal DHCP server, as described in the wiki.  And VMWare is nice for testing purposes, but not really a supported platform as it will not give you an entirely full functional system
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous