Author Topic: ASUS eee box b202 - wiki  (Read 6704 times)

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
ASUS eee box b202 - wiki
« on: January 18, 2009, 02:35:22 am »
Just added the ASUS eee box b202 page to the wiki.
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Asus_eee_box_b202
and a walkthrough:
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/ASUS_eee_box_b202_setup
Hope it is of use. Please dive in if I've made any stupid mistakes.
Barney

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: ASUS eee box b202 - wiki
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 04:42:37 am »
Thank you so much :)

-Thom

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 10:35:43 pm »
Very nice :)
Greetings Viking

wrotruck

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 01:50:11 pm »
b4rney:

Been fighting with one of these guys on and off for a few weeks now.  Went through the wiki and everything went very smoothly until the video issue.  Unfortunaly. just changing the drive name in the xorg.conf won't net me anything but a smoother running 640x480 experience.  I was able to get to 720p using the the xorg.conf file Totalymaxed:

http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=6847.0

I have not had time to compare the files yet. I'm hoping to get to it tonight.

-Wil

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 09:36:18 pm »
@wrotruck

Did you re-run the avwizard after you changed to the intel driver? It should allow you to select the higher resolutions once you've changed this setting.
Glad you got it working though! How's it running? Any lock-ups?
Barney

wrotruck

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 10:54:17 pm »
Barney:

It allowed the resolution change but for some reason all I get is the top left of the screen stretched across my entire televsion.  I did get a lock up after I used TotallyMaxed xorg.conf file but I think it is due to the screen saver issue you detailed.  I need to run a diff on the xorg.conf file that was created and the one supplied by totallymaxed to see what other options were changed.  I'm hoping to get to that this evening.  I also need to get a remote configured.

I'll post what I find...

-Wil

Edit: spelling

wrotruck

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 01:34:25 pm »
Okay...  Here's is the output of a Diff between the the 720p file supplied by Totallymaxed and the file created by my b202.

53d52
<    Modeline    "1280x720" 74.250 1280 1390 1430 1650 720 725 730 750 +hsync +vsync
79,80d77
<    Option "Monitor-LVDS" "Disabled Monitor"
<    Option "Monitor-TMDS-1" "Monitor0"
102,103c99,100
<       Modes      "1280x720"
<       Virtual      1280 720
---
>       Modes      "640x480"
>       Virtual      640 480
128,135d124
< Section "Monitor"
<    Identifier   "Disabled Monitor"
<    Option      "Enable" "false"
<    Option      "Ignore" "true"
<    Modeline    "1280x720" 74.250 1280 1390 1430 1650 720 725 730 750 +hsync +vsync
<    HorizSync   20-500
<    VertRefresh   59-61
< EndSection

I am in no way an expert with xorg.conf.  Can someone tell me what the config changes are?

Thanks...

-Wil

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 04:54:54 pm »
Apologies. I just realised I missed a step within step 6 of the walkthrough.

The step was to edit /usr/pluto/diskless/<moon #>/etc/initramfs-tools/modules to include the r8168 module.

Now added to the wiki.
Barney

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 08:17:05 pm »
wrotruck - post both files, not the diff, its too hard to read! BTW, in most cases, if you re-run AV Wizard it will overwrite any manual changes you made. If you need to resort to manual changes, then you need to stick with that method and not re-run the wizard.

Totallymaxed's xorg.conf file should work as is, without running AV Wizard, and select 720p for you automatically. If it doesn't, then pastebin the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file and link it here so we can see what is wrong.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 11:01:07 pm »
wrotruck - post both files, not the diff, its too hard to read! BTW, in most cases, if you re-run AV Wizard it will overwrite any manual changes you made. If you need to resort to manual changes, then you need to stick with that method and not re-run the wizard.

Totallymaxed's xorg.conf file should work as is, without running AV Wizard, and select 720p for you automatically. If it doesn't, then pastebin the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file and link it here so we can see what is wrong.

Place them on pastebin.com (for example) instead and post the links to that here instead please.  This is a discussion forum and not a garbage bin for config- and/or log-files, if you'll excuse the crude expression (not to mention that our resources are donated).
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

marrandy

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 04:48:45 pm »
Barney:

It allowed the resolution change but for some reason all I get is the top left of the screen stretched across my entire televsion.  I did get a lock up after I used TotallyMaxed xorg.conf file but I think it is due to the screen saver issue you detailed.  I need to run a diff on the xorg.conf file that was created and the one supplied by totallymaxed to see what other options were changed.  I'm hoping to get to that this evening.  I also need to get a remote configured.

I'll post what I find...

-Wil

Yes, I had the top left screen stretch as well.  I used the totallymaxed xorg.conf and finally got a good picture.  Should the wiki be updated to reflect that ?

I also have had several lockups on the B202.   A search of the forum indicates it could be the screensaver.  Why ?  Besides disabling it, is anyone working on a solution ?

Another issue I see (the same as on my M2NPV-VM hybrid) is when videos play, if there is fast movement, like in a dancing or action, around a person appears horizontal black lines until the object stops moving.  it's like the graphics is trying to catch up.  the faster the movement, the larger the jitter.  Searching the forum on tearing talks about disabling de-interlacing, change to libmpeg2, enable openGL, sync on vert/vblank.

I'm not sure where all this happens, xorg.conf, xine, ???

If anyone knows this stuff in detail, can they update the B202 wiki page so its clear and concise...if they have the time of course.

I'm hoping the B202 will be my second (probably main) MD.  I just ordered a DT366 from tkmedia and pretty soon, this system will have to pass the  'wife test',  or else stay as my test/in-progress system.

Thanks to all the devs and contributors for the great work.  I have a spare H/D so if its needed, I could try 0810 alphas and betas if the devs are short of testers.

Regards...Martin
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 06:14:41 pm by marrandy »

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 01:10:27 am »
Barney:

I'll post what I find...

-Wil

Yes, I had the top left screen stretch as well.  I used the totallymaxed xorg.conf and finally got a good picture.  Should the wiki be updated to reflect that ?

I also have had several lockups on the B202.   A search of the forum indicates it could be the screensaver.  Why ?  Besides disabling it, is anyone working on a solution ?

Another issue I see (the same as on my M2NPV-VM hybrid) is when videos play, if there is fast movement, like in a dancing or action, around a person appears horizontal black lines until the object stops moving.  it's like the graphics is trying to catch up.  the faster the movement, the larger the jitter.  Searching the forum on tearing talks about disabling de-interlacing, change to libmpeg2, enable openGL, sync on vert/vblank.

I'm not sure where all this happens, xorg.conf, xine, ???

<snip>....

Hi,

The 'horizontal black lines' seen when you have horizontal panning of the picture are caused by interlacing in the video picture. Just go into Web Admin -> Devices -> Media Directors and then scroll down to the MD in question and choose a 'De-interlace Setting' from the drop-down list... usually 'low' or 'medium' are good choices as they do not place any significant load on the processor. Now scroll to the bottom of the Web page and click 'Save' to save the changes you have made.

Now try playing the a DVD or ripped DVD again and see the difference this makes...if your still not happy just increase the 'De-interlace' setting again in Web Admin until you are :-)

All the best

Andrew
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 01:12:36 am by totallymaxed »
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

marrandy

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 06:41:57 am »

Hi,

The 'horizontal black lines' seen when you have horizontal panning of the picture are caused by interlacing in the video picture. Just go into Web Admin -> Devices -> Media Directors and then scroll down to the MD in question and choose a 'De-interlace Setting' from the drop-down list... usually 'low' or 'medium' are good choices as they do not place any significant load on the processor. Now scroll to the bottom of the Web page and click 'Save' to save the changes you have made.

Now try playing the a DVD or ripped DVD again and see the difference this makes...if your still not happy just increase the 'De-interlace' setting again in Web Admin until you are :-)

All the best

Andrew

Hello Andrew.

Thanks for the response.

I set it to low on the M2NPV-VM hybrid and the horizontal lines/jitter has all gone...amazing.  Makes me wonder why the default wasn't set that way.

But...the B202...Ughh.

Its late plus I want to try and get a picture and will update when I get up.  No end of problems.

Regards...Martin

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 03:08:11 pm »
Marrandy,

I've turned the photo screen saver to 'static'. This was a primary cause of the graphics crashing. Hardware acceleration uses cle266x11 and de-interlace is set to medium.

I also used Andrew's xorg.conf. Wasn't sure about adding it to the wiki as it was a forum post. My b202 is pretty solid using dvi out at 720p with UI2 (not alpha blending). I did get some periodic graphics crashing when using f6 or f8.

I am hoping that the newer drivers available under 810 will improve the performance and reliability of these boxes. Let me know if this helps.
Barney