Author Topic: xine and subtitles  (Read 4778 times)

Thingie

• Veteran
    • View Profile
xine and subtitles
« on: March 18, 2008, 06:26:04 pm »
I read in the release notes that Beta 4 has subtitles for Xine enabled but it works even worse then before. Embedded subtitles in an mkv or avi container still aren't displayed and srt-files with the same name as the avi and in the same folder aren't loaded. When I play a dvd sometimes the subtitles work and sometimes they don't. I have to activate the subtitles in the menu of the dvd and then they are displayed (sometimes). I don't know how to fix this problem. It would be nice to have a nice working subtitle function in the final release.

Grtz

Thingie

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: xine and subtitles
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 12:15:50 pm »
That would be nice indeed, I have quite a few films that I have to watch on the KDE desktop otherwise.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

bundie

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 08:47:03 pm »
I read in the release notes that Beta 4 has subtitles for Xine enabled but it works even worse then before. Embedded subtitles in an mkv or avi container still aren't displayed and srt-files with the same name as the avi and in the same folder aren't loaded.

Hi Thingie,

Have a look at the names of the srt-files...

If your avi file is:

movie.avi

Then your srt-file should be named:

movie.avi.srt (and not movie.srt)

Works great with my beta4, so it should work for u 2

Greetz,
Reint.

Thingie

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 12:53:16 am »

Hi Thingie,

Have a look at the names of the srt-files...

If your avi file is:

movie.avi

Then your srt-file should be named:

movie.avi.srt (and not movie.srt)

Works great with my beta4, so it should work for u 2

Greetz,
Reint.
[/quote]

Hey Reint

Thx for the tip, for the AVI's I have it works fine when I rename te srt-files as you said. But sadley enough it doesn't work for the mkv-files I have. All my HD content is mkv and here it doesn't work. Also DVD's keep giving probs when it comes to subtitles At least there is some progress for wich I'm greatfull. Let's hope they get the subtitle function working as it should.

Grtz

Thingie

Thingie

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 10:10:59 pm »
I've noticed that I only have working subtitles (srt and dvd) on the orbitters that use the normal interface. On the orbitters that use alpha blending ther are no subs displayed. anyone else got the same?

Thingie

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 12:16:05 am »
Ok I experimented some more and now I'm totally lost. I hav 1 core PC en two Diskless MD's. The 2 MD's have the same hardware configuration except the graphics cards are both NVidia but other series. One MD is connected to a TV (we'll call it MD1) the other one to a LCD-monitor (we'll call it MD2). Originally MD2 uses the Static Interface (No opengl, althoug configured on the Admin webpage) and MD1 uses UI2 (with opengl). As mensioned above MD2 displays subtitles and MD1 doesn't. So I started experimenting with the UI. I changed the UI on MD1 to the static interface but still no subs. So after that I connected a LCD-monitor to MD1 and confiigured it the same as MD1. Again no subs. I even checked the Xine setting on the Admin website for both MD's and they are exactly the same. I realy have no idea what is the problem. Any help would be very welcome.

Thx

Thingie

valent

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • /kernel_reloaded/
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 09:03:21 pm »
Did you have any progress on subtitles working?
LinuxMCE - If it was easy, everybody would be doing it!!
My setup - http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Valent

nosebreaker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 12:26:22 am »
I was about to post about this when I found this post, subtitles would be nice!