Author Topic: incoming voip calls [BT UK]SOLVED  (Read 21887 times)

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: incoming voip calls [BT UK]
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2009, 01:18:42 am »
Found the externip=<your-ip> option on the old version of the XS4ALL VoIP page: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php?title=VoIP_with_XS4ALL&oldid=6780 (just knew I could find it somewhere, and woah that sure brings back memories of fail and dispair).
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2009, 01:27:54 am »
That's the one! And externhost if you have dynamic IPs...

maybeoneday

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2009, 01:49:04 am »
Hi zaerc, colin,

sorry for being thick BUT,

externip=.....     routers external IP or providers IP or is this purely static ip's provided by ISP?
externhost=...... again router/provider?

sorry guys but I'm tottally punch drunk,

regards,
Ian     

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2009, 02:12:39 am »
If you have a static IP from your ISP then you don't need externhost (which is good)

Whatever the external/public IP address is that will access your core. So if you have a router and are NAT'ing back to your core (which is what we have been discussing), then yes, the external IP address your broadband router is assign by your ISP.

maybeoneday

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2009, 02:54:52 am »
I REALLY am sorry  colin,
Whatever the external/public IP address is that will access your core. So if you have a router and are NAT'ing back to your core (which is what we have been discussing), then yes, the external IP address your broadband router is assign by your ISP.

OoooK.... but surely that is subject to change  (altho not often)....which as I understand ( ;D) it , (is the whole reason for all this bollox anyway ),and will then need updating if/when the ISP decides to change the address?

.......or have I missed something essential ....such as a  a   dynamic dns service  ??

regards,
 Ian

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2009, 03:14:55 am »
If you have a static IP from your ISP then you don't need externhost (which is good)

This is the bit you missed - I'm proceeding on the basis that you have a static IP address. In other words, your IP address never changes, its assigned to you permanently. You need to check if that is the case first. If so, then the instructions are as given... use externip.

If not, you should seriously consider asking your ISP for a static address. This makes alsorts of things so much easier... this included.

Failing that, yes, set up a dyn dns service, then enter your fully qualified DNS domain name with the externhost option... you will need to read up on this as you need to set other options, too, like a refresh period that Asterisk uses to re-resolve your DNS name to an IP address in case it changes... this method isn't as reliable tho...

maybeoneday

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2009, 04:12:25 am »
Hi colin,and zaerc

please accept my most humble and embarrassed apologies,

all BT domestic adsl is on dynamic addressing,

EDIT  warning .....rant about to start

UNLESS a further fee (£5  10$  pcm)for a static address is extorted;-alternatively one can use their thoughtfully provided own brand voip, which costs almost the same as normal ptsn calls,the quality is crap, and it specifically precludes using any other provider, has limited own brand, expensive hardware,and unless it's deactivated will not allow my spa3102 ata to work.- oh , by the way,forget about any sort of pbx-
I'm allready locked in to their BS monopoly -  with no realistic  alternative  (so much for local loop unbundling !),  - no dsl without a ptsn line for example,(line rental? - what's that all about ?)-
so I WILL NOT pay the money grubbing , couldn't care less bastards one penny more than I absolutely have to !!!

rant over

So tommorrow, rather, later today I'll start again , going the dyndns route,

ONCE AGAIN ...

.................APOLOGIES for being such a pillock,
.................MANY THANKS for your patience , time and effort,

kindest regards,
Ian

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2009, 12:10:01 pm »
Well that sucks, and I suspect that it will still be possible with the right settings, but at least you gave it one hell of a try...
-- Anonymous

maybeoneday

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2009, 01:28:08 pm »
Hi Zaerc,

"(just knew I could find it somewhere, and woah that sure brings back memories of fail and dispair)"

:'( :'( :'(..... ;D

it's all knowledge I suppose.. ;)  BTW,

I'm now following

http://www.freepbx.org/support/documentation/howtos/howto-resolving-audio-problems

but am getting no response to:

touch /etc/asterisk/sip_nat.conf     and   ls-al sip_nat.conf   (bash:command not found)

to check ownership and permissions,have you any ideas o master  ?      ;)

tia,
Ian
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 01:30:45 pm by maybeoneday »

maybeoneday

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: incoming voip calls [BT UK]SOLVED
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2009, 02:53:44 pm »
Hi constant readers,

the title says it all really, have finally got  2way audio on incoming calls

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D and once more  ;D

(nearly pooped myself when my own voice finally came back at me !  )

CAVEAT  early days ! 

notes
1) still showing errors in Fpbx admin panel
2) tried without checking ownership permissions..............find out where mce puts asterisk files   (agi-bin for eg)
3 test checkip.pl   for updating asterisk record of external ip
4)test to f***

@Colin & Zaerc ..... ;D  many thanks guys    ;D   feel as tho we've climbed everest together    !   BTW.. if I write up a dummies guide(for me and any other windows refugee s )  will you guys proof it ?

Kindest regards,
Ian

Edit       F***   British TelecoN

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2009, 12:59:55 pm »
Glad to hear you got it sorted, that must be a huge relief.  What did you have to do to get it working in the end now?

but am getting no response to:

touch /etc/asterisk/sip_nat.conf     and   ls-al sip_nat.conf   (bash:command not found)

Just to clear that up, there should be a space between "ls" and -al", so the command should be: ls -al sip_nat.conf
-- Anonymous

maybeoneday

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: incoming voip calls [BT UK]SOLVED
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2009, 03:00:17 pm »
Hi Zaerc,
 thanks for that,

I followed 

http://www.freepbx.org/support/documentation/howtos/howto-resolving-audio-problems

almost letter for letter:off the top of my head,(am away from home today) there were a couple of differences , mainly substituting externhost for  externip, externrefresh for fromdomain,  in sip_nat conf

an entry into hosts file for Dyndns setting  and specifying rtp range in rtp.conf file,

theres also a checkip.pl file for updating  sip_nat conf

firewall rules  10001 to 20000  udp        5060 to 5080 to 5060

I'm halfway thro  the dummies hand holding  wiki, 'cos I'm stil tryng to clarify how it should have been done from the beginning ,to save anyone else the time/headache  ;D

many thanks,
Ian