Author Topic: Looking for a Cheep Web pad for an Orbiter  (Read 19416 times)

nosebreaker

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a Cheep Web pad for an Orbiter
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 04:02:41 pm »
Hi,
I bought a Fujitsu LT500C, runs the basic UI1 and works fine.  I got them used on eBay for $110 with a 802.11g wifi card.  Runs Win2000.
How fast is this thing ? Can you also use the remote control to rewind and the press play again or does it take a "long time" between each command ?

Does it also have an usable internet browser (firefox) and what can run on that ?
It has a 500MHz Celeron and 128MB of ram (256MB models available).  It can watch youtube videos in firefox and it browses fine, it just takes a few minutes to boot.  I don't notice lag from when I click pause or volume or anything, it seems fast enough.  I bought a 2nd Wireless AP just for LMCE, so there isn't much else on this network.  Oh, since it is Win2k it supports wireless encryption too (not sure about WPA2 but WPA at least).

The only downside I have is that if it suspend/resume the wifi card stops working, but acts like it hasn't (so apps timeout).  You have to either unplug/replug the PCMCIA wifi card or reboot it.  Also mine was used quite a bit, so I have to click harder on icons in the bottom left, I can't always use my fingers on the touchscreen (I have to use the pen).

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 04:33:46 pm »
Hello Thom,
Contact posde if you wish for a WebDT. He helps tkmedia ship them in Europe.
Thanks for the info :)

Do they look like the one in the Squeezebox kitchen demo here ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JewXezrq8FY

Greetings
Viking

Yes like the black one shown in the kitchen video

For more info
web pad demo
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=6688.0

For 2009 pricing and availability
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=7051.0

Tim
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 05:51:09 pm by tkmedia »
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 05:34:01 pm »
Yes.

-Thom

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 07:11:23 pm »
Hi nosebreaker ,
Thanks for answering :)

It has a 500MHz Celeron and 128MB of ram (256MB models available).  It can watch youtube videos in firefox and it browses fine, it just takes a few minutes to boot.  I don't notice lag from when I click pause or volume or anything, it seems fast enough.  I bought a 2nd Wireless AP just for LMCE, so there isn't much else on this network.  Oh, since it is Win2k it supports wireless encryption too (not sure about WPA2 but WPA at least).
OK, sound good :) yeah, windows is not booting that fast ;) I saw somwhere that one could also install Win XP or Linux on it.

The only downside I have is that if it suspend/resume the wifi card stops working, but acts like it hasn't (so apps timeout).  You have to either unplug/replug the PCMCIA wifi card or reboot it.
That is a showstopper :( My wife will kill me if it doesn't work after switching it on ;)

Also mine was used quite a bit, so I have to click harder on icons in the bottom left, I can't always use my fingers on the touchscreen (I have to use the pen).
So you can't use the fingers because it is quite used - or because of what ?

Greetings
Viking

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 07:14:01 pm »
Hi Tim and Thom,

thanks for confirming :)

How fast are the WebDT and the N810 booting ?
Is the display of the N810 to small ?

Greetings
Viking

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 07:21:26 pm »
I kept my Nokia N810 booted constantly (it got stolen so i need to get a replacement), and it comes out of suspend instantly... a by product of being designed like a cell phone.

The WebDTs suspend to RAM when the power button is clicked, and come back up within 4 seconds.

Initial BOOT time of the webdt is currently about 55 seconds.

I don't consider one against the other, they compliment each other.. the n810 is an orbiter you can keep in your pocket.

I like the WebDT's because I can't use the computing keyboard or mousepad on the nokia n810, it's too small, and the media display on the webDT is very nice.. it's perfect for laying on a couch pillow.

I like the Nokia N810 because I can carry it with me inside the house, and outside the house, I use it as my primary computer.

-Thom

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2009, 10:27:11 pm »
Hi Thom,

Thanks for infos. The instant-on of the N810 and maybe also the keyboard appeals me :)

But maybe it is to small - can one control lightning and other things with this one ? Have you got a picture of the N810 showing the media listing ? That will probalby be quite small ..

I have got my hands on a cheap Qtek 9000 with Windows Mobile version 5.0 (OS 5.1.195) 480x640 resolution - but it does not seem to be able to run the Windows mobile orbiter correctly  :(   (maybe I should open a topic on that)
But that device is around the same size as the N810 i see now :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qtek_9000

Greetings
Viking

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2009, 10:29:34 pm »
Orbiter will not run on the latest Windows Mobile devices, we need a developer to handle building the toolchain and orbiter itself for these devices.

Keep in mind as well, that Orbiter does not know about, or use the n810's built in keyboard.

-Thom

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2009, 11:08:04 pm »
Contact posde if you wish for a WebDT. He helps tkmedia ship them in Europe.

The point of contact should always be tkmedia.

cirion

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2009, 12:14:16 am »
Orbiter will not run on the latest Windows Mobile devices, we need a developer to handle building the toolchain and orbiter itself for these devices.
I'm trying with the help of a friend to make a orbiter for WM6.1...
It will take some time.

I have a N810 for testing now, together with a iPaq rx3715 PPC2003 and a Dell Axim PPC 2003.
Testing those devices side by side, I have to say I prefer the N810.

I am hoping to make a orbiter that works on the HTC Touch Diamond and Touch HD devices. 480x640 and 480x800.

The Basic skin does have errors on all the devices, and I also will try to fix those and make new one for the bigger resolutions if I get the orbiter running. What I mean with errors, is missing buttons, buttons that don't work and the search window is unusable on the PPC2003. No genres, no mediatypes and so on.

The most bugging thing with the N810 is when watching TV, and I want to quit watching TV, the power button does not work. I have to press stop on my Fiirechief... There are other solutions too, but if the Fiirechief it's there it's just a button press, just like it should be on the N810 it the skin was working.

I have started a thread here:
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=7061.0

Viking: I can take some photos of the orbiters side by side if you want.

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2009, 12:49:49 am »
Hi Cirion,

Yes I already saw the other thread - and answered that I look forward to it :)

I have got the  Qtek sort of running, but it does not allways really use the full resolution and also not using the touch screen. And there are - as you say probably some issuses using it. But lets move to your thread with that :) I would like to hear what you have found out ...

Viking: I can take some photos of the orbiters side by side if you want.
That would be really nice. I assume others would like to see the difference also :) Maybe we can also put them in the wiki.

Thanks
Viking

nosebreaker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2009, 04:00:08 pm »
Hi nosebreaker ,
Thanks for answering :)

OK, sound good :) yeah, windows is not booting that fast ;) I saw somwhere that one could also install Win XP or Linux on it.

The only downside I have is that if it suspend/resume the wifi card stops working, but acts like it hasn't (so apps timeout).  You have to either unplug/replug the PCMCIA wifi card or reboot it.
That is a showstopper :( My wife will kill me if it doesn't work after switching it on ;)

Also mine was used quite a bit, so I have to click harder on icons in the bottom left, I can't always use my fingers on the touchscreen (I have to use the pen).
So you can't use the fingers because it is quite used - or because of what ?

Greetings
Viking

I wouldn't put XP on it, with 128MB it would be pretty slow.  With Win2k it uses about 80MB of RAM so its fine.  I don't know what the linux orbiter port is like (does it exist?).

I think the suspend/resume is due to the cheap PCMCIA wireless card, I'll have to test it with another one, but right now I'm trying to get my Jetway JNC62K MD working first.

The unit is just worn a bit, its really not bad, I don't even notice it usually (clicking harder in bottom left). I can use my fingernails, I don't know if it was designed for just your fingers.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2009, 07:05:19 pm »
Orbiter is a cross platform application, which runs in Windows and Linux.

-Thom

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2009, 11:02:05 pm »
Hi,
on German ebay I found some with 256MB RAM :) apparently they have more than 10 in store :
http://cgi.ebay.de/Tablet-PC-Fujitsu-Stylistic-LT-C-500-15GB-256MB-500-MHz_W0QQitemZ140294889505QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDE_Technik_Computer_Peripherieger%C3%A4te_Notebooks?hash=item140294889505&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1229|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1308

In that auktion there are some links (have not had time to check them). Original text (translated below) :

Weiteres ausführliches Material haben wir im Forum von tabletpcbuzz.com entdeckt. Dort als Suchbegriff C-500 eingeben.Eine weitere ausführliche Quelle zur Installation von LINUX  und mit anderen guten Hinweisen fanden wir bei  neurath.org/stylistic_lt

More informations we found at tabletpcbuzz.com Search There for C-500
Another source for installation of LINUX is neurath.org/stylistic_lt

Greetings
viking

domanows

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2009, 12:04:22 am »
Has anyone considered a Power Over Ethernet (POE) wall mount orbiter?  I lose remotes like crazy and I'd love to replace my crappy NUTONE intercoms with orbiters.  I just can't seem to find anything reasonably priced to do the job.