Author Topic: Looking for a Cheep Web pad for an Orbiter  (Read 19427 times)

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
Looking for a Cheep Web pad for an Orbiter
« on: January 16, 2009, 09:16:58 pm »
Looking for a cheep web pad for an orbiter. Any suggestions? Availability in the states is a huge plus.
Core: Broken :(

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a Cheep Web pad for an Orbiter
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 12:15:24 am »
Ask tkmedia (tim) about a WebDT 366, they are great!

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 12:44:13 am »
I'm interested in the answer to this as well..  I just can't afford to spend $200+ on a webpad or I'd have bought one from tkmedia (around $250 IIRC).

edit:  If I'm off on the price, please correct me....  Don't want to give people the wrong impression on cost.

nosebreaker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 12:54:40 am »
I bought a Fujitsu LT500C, runs the basic UI1 and works fine.  I got them used on eBay for $110 with a 802.11g wifi card.  Runs Win2000.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 07:22:26 am »
the price for a preconfigured WebDT 366 is currently $350, and well worth the price.

You can also get Motion Computing tablets off ebay, and a few others, but the units above are the best bang for the buck, I promise.

-Thom

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 08:27:12 am »
the price for a preconfigured WebDT 366 is currently $350, and well worth the price.

You can also get Motion Computing tablets off ebay, and a few others, but the units above are the best bang for the buck, I promise.

-Thom

I agree - the bottom line is they are a full PC so can run the proper orbiter. Anything cheaper than this is just going to be a PDA type thing, so you have to compromise on the orbiter you can run.

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 09:02:16 pm »

-Thom

My mistake on the price.  As far as well worth it, I'm sure it is depending on your budget.  They look like great devices.  Unfortunately not all of us want to spend $350 for a device to control LMCE not matter how slick it is.  Nothing against the 366, the Harmony 1100 is around $500.  If it were not for the fact that I hope to move to another state sometime this year I'd consider it (the 366, not the Harmony).  Seems like the perfect thing to mount in a wall.

Sad truth is, between getting out of debt (long story involving a classic car and a surprisingly large bill), finishing the basement in my house, and expecting to relocate to another state later this year my budget for things like this is in the $100 or less range.

In short, I'd love to buy a webpad but to do that I need far cheaper options than the 366.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 12:14:08 am »
In short, I'd love to buy a webpad but to do that I need far cheaper options than the 366.
Have a look at the Harmony 1100, I heard somewhere that it's a great alternative... :D
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 12:27:32 am »
Have a look at the Harmony 1100, I heard somewhere that it's a great alternative... :D

Heh heh...  My point in mentioning it is that a 366 would add far more functionality while being far cheaper than the Harmony making the WebDT a great deal.  Too bad I don't have the extra cash to spend on one.  Or to be more accurate, my disposable income is far better spent on other things and I'm sticking to a self imposed price point of around $100.  A regular old remote works just fine, and a finished basement would provide far more "wow" factor than a slick webpad setup.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 12:39:31 am »

Heh heh...  My point in mentioning it is that a 366 would add far more functionality while being far cheaper than the Harmony making the WebDT a great deal.  Too bad I don't have the extra cash to spend on one.  Or to be more accurate, my disposable income is far better spent on other things and I'm sticking to a self imposed price point of around $100.  A regular old remote works just fine, and a finished basement would provide far more "wow" factor than a slick webpad setup.
Ah ok, I wasn't sure why you even mentioned it in the first place as it doesn't look lmce compatible at all...  And who am I to resist making a lame joke like that? ;)
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 12:56:30 am »
Hi,
I bought a Fujitsu LT500C, runs the basic UI1 and works fine.  I got them used on eBay for $110 with a 802.11g wifi card.  Runs Win2000.
How fast is this thing ? Can you also use the remote control to rewind and the press play again or does it take a "long time" between each command ?

Does it also have an usable internet browser (firefox) and what can run on that ?

Does anybody know how fast the Nokia N810 and the WebDT 366 is compaired to such a device ?

I am thinking about going for a N810 or a LT500C. As the WebDT 366 only is sold in the US and I live in the EU (Denmark).

Greetings
Viking

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 01:50:04 am »
Contact posde if you wish for a WebDT. He helps tkmedia ship them in Europe.

-Thom

domanows

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
WebDT 366 functionality question
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 04:33:54 am »
I noticed that the WebDT 366 has a microphone.  Can you use it as an intercom right from the tablet?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 04:51:04 am »
the hardware portion is there.. but SimplePhone needs to be modified to run on Orbiter devices instead of Media Directors. Jondecker76 is working on this.

-Thom

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 02:46:29 pm »
Hello Thom,
Contact posde if you wish for a WebDT. He helps tkmedia ship them in Europe.
Thanks for the info :)

Do they look like the one in the Squeezebox kitchen demo here ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JewXezrq8FY

Greetings
Viking