Author Topic: No use of swap memory  (Read 2107 times)

itsmeok

• Veteran
    • View Profile
No use of swap memory
« on: January 16, 2009, 09:29:34 am »
I have linuxmce 7.10 RC2 running on a older system with only 768 MB of memory. System is running fine. When I look in System load tool I see that the memory is completely used. No issue with that but I see that I have about 2 GB of swap memory that is almost not used 37 MB of 2 GB. Is this normal or do I need to change a setting so it will be used aswell.

Do more people see this ?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 11:14:33 am by itsmeok »

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: No use of swap memory
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 11:14:03 am »
I have linuxmce 7.10 RC2 running on a older system with only 768 MB of memory. System is running fine. When I look in System load tool I see that the memory is completely used. No issue with that but I see that I have about 2 GB of swap memory that is completely unused. Is this normal or do I need to change a setting so it can be used aswell.

Do more people see this ?
We should all have "problems" like this.  ;)
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 12:34:22 am »
When you are looking at "used" memory, you are almost certainly seeing the total physical RAM used my the kernel and processes plus the amount being used a file caches and buffers. The system will deliberately use up a large percentage/most of your "free" memory to cache files off disk, etc - this then dramatically improves performance when accessing those files. Windows does exactly the same thing.

So your actual memory use will be significantly lower than that figure, meaning there is no call for swap space yet. Of course there isn't much point caching files in swap thus you get the situation you are seeing.

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 12:53:07 am »
you can achieve more swap usage by removing physical ram. Or you could run a malloc() loop in a C 3-liner.

br, Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 01:01:15 am »
you can achieve more swap usage by removing physical ram. Or you could run a malloc() loop in a C 3-liner.

br, Hari

rotflmao