Author Topic: New groups downloads or bit torents  (Read 4957 times)

itsmeok

• Veteran
    • View Profile
New groups downloads or bit torents
« on: January 15, 2009, 10:11:23 pm »
Does anyone have news group downloads or bit torents integrated in LinuxMCE ?

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: New groups downloads or bit torents
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 01:07:27 am »
integrating a new media type is a big job (just ask Thom, or look up the MAME effort)

But there's no reason why you can't use KDE desktop and things like the included bt client to do that outside of LMCE. bt doesn't really lend itself to meaningful integration as you have to search for the torrent in the first place, in which case you might as well use a dedicated client to download it. Torrents aren't the type of thing you are going to pause, fastforward/rewind, send from one MD to another, or trigger lighting or climate systems on, or by for that matter!

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 02:29:16 am »
Does anyone have news group downloads or bit torents integrated in LinuxMCE ?

I found TorrentFlux to be a decent app you can install through apt-get I believe? If not, it wasn't hard to install from source.

It has a great web interface that you can search through or upload *.torrent files into and let it do the rest.

see:  http://www.torrentflux.com/

and some hacks to keep things private if you desire.

see:  http://www.torrentflux.com/forum/index.php/topic,3494.0.html

Some of the search scripts are outdated and should probably be updated with those in the forums.

There's even a neat wiki page with some hacks to easily move files into the /home/public/data/video/ directory

see:  http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/Torrentflux

I've got version 2.3 running like a charm here, on the core.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 04:41:40 am »
Guys, instead of fucking duct taping stuff on, why don't you look at the wide range of documentation on the wiki... or talk with the developers, on trying to actually integrate a BitTorrent downloader into the Orbiter itself...

....or am I going to have to do that, too?

lazy freeloaders.

-Thom

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 11:58:43 am »
For now, KTorrent on the KDE desktop works just fine.  And with a little extra configuration you can easily have the  completed files dumped somewhere under /public/data/videos/.../ so they will be found by the system.  And Konqueror wants to use KTorrent to open the .torrent files already.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

samuelmukoti

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 12:24:58 pm »
rtorrent make a nice torrent download.  I've configured it to download any .torrent files i place in my ~/downloads folder.  Also i've got some RSS feeds for podcasts and TV Shows that it automatically download.

What ideas did you have for the orbitor Thom, i think that would be a nice touch.

br

Sam

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 01:56:09 pm »
This lazy freeloader adds that you can specify where the finished torrents are downloaded in TorrentFlux too, so you can easily tell it to download into the LMCE structure if you want.

jthodges

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 05:38:38 pm »
I'll second ktorrent as a good option, that's what I've been using.  In my experience, configuring the seed directory to dump directly into a LMCE directory wasn't ideal, due to lots of media files coming rarred, containing samples, etc.  I instead wrote a script to automate processing the seed file and extracting any non-sample videos to drop them into my videos folder, which has worked pretty well.  Then when I'm done seeding I get rid of the seed directory altogether as well.  An added bonus of separating them is that your torrent activity can be on a different hard drive from the media you might be pulling media off for real-time use.

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 07:09:42 pm »
I'll second ktorrent as a good option, that's what I've been using.  In my experience, configuring the seed directory to dump directly into a LMCE directory wasn't ideal, due to lots of media files coming rarred, containing samples, etc.  I instead wrote a script to automate processing the seed file and extracting any non-sample videos to drop them into my videos folder, which has worked pretty well.  Then when I'm done seeding I get rid of the seed directory altogether as well.  An added bonus of separating them is that your torrent activity can be on a different hard drive from the media you might be pulling media off for real-time use.

im curious about something kinda lmce related. Do torrent thrash the hard drive? I realize thats a general question but I haven t been able to tell one way or the other. Since I dl tv shows, I dont have the problem with samples and the like. Im more concerned about beating my main media storage hd's to death.
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 12:03:02 am »
golgoj - yes, if you are seeding a lot then it does put a fairly heavy load on the system. To keep ratios up you often want to seed a fair bit. I try to limit the total number of files seeding, and in some clients there are options you can tune that allow read-ahead and precaching, which may help a little.