Author Topic: control onkyo receiver via ethernet  (Read 8306 times)

johanr

• Veteran
    • View Profile
control onkyo receiver via ethernet
« on: January 15, 2009, 07:16:36 pm »
Been looking at this and read the wiki about how to control via serial etc but I don't get how I can control the Onkyo using the ethernet.

I have been playing abit with the device template already in the LMCE(need to make a copy of it before continuing) but it seems like even I set the onkyo to be IP based the Core/hybrid still want's me to use serialport when sending commands.
 Where do I define where the commands should be sent out and to what ip?

Then the more I think about I wonder how to send serial commands via ethernet(ip)  ???

Do I need to setup a new device template or how should I do this? anyone else been tried doing control via ethernet?

Off course I can go and buy a usb->rs232 dongle but since the onkyo can be controlled via ethernet I was thinking it should not be needed.

Br
Johan

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
Re: control onkyo receiver via ethernet
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 08:30:42 pm »
Which higher level protocol does it support? http? tcp socket based communications? SNMP *lol* :-)

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

johanr

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 10:48:43 pm »
Hi again.. Not sure I follow. Are you giving me a hint or just joking?  :-\
-johan :)

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 10:50:34 am »
johanr,

try to look at what has been done in the device template of the Panasonic IP camera. It might give you enough hints to succeed. (And after you succeed detail the steps in the wiki :) )

rgds
Oliver

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 12:54:17 pm »
Neither, he is asking you a question, and probably laughing at one of his own suggestions for a possible answer.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

johanr

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 12:13:38 am »
Neither, he is asking you a question, and probably laughing at one of his own suggestions for a possible answer.
Ah, Ok was unsure due to the lol thingy =). Well I will have a look at the panasonic device template, Thanks!
Offcourse I will post it in the wiki if I ever succeeds. Would be nice to finally contribute with something.
Made a Telnet to the box via reflection and the port defined in the receiver to be used for ISCP ..

The command looks like this when the reciever sends it to me(volume change)
ISCP    !1MVL0A?
 I tried sending this( and other combinations) but never get a response(receiver doesn't react on it either)
!1PWR01 Then I make a [CR] by hitting the enter key after writing the command.
!1PWRQSTN
"1PWRQSTN"
!1LMD83

Spec:s says that the command should be like :
!1PWR01[CR]   

Guess I have to dig abit deeper into this. Wonder if the telnet can have anything to do with this?
This is really not my area of expertise but I will do a wireshark and see how it looks.
Not sure how to send a command otherwise than making a telnet to it. Will definetly have a look at the pana template..

-johan