Author Topic: DVD Ripping  (Read 3251 times)

tricky_dicky

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
DVD Ripping
« on: January 16, 2009, 01:42:40 pm »
Hi,

I've been quietly reading the forums for months now while oh slow slowly saving up to buy some new equipment, however I just have a couple of quick questions;
1) When ripping a DVD does it go off to Gracenote, or similar, to get all the information or does it just create a blank file which needs to be renamed and have meta data added to it?
2) How well does LinuxMCE handle hardware raid cards? I have been looking at building a reasonably large storage system with the core and was looking at using some Adaptec cards and couldn't see anything in the Wiki.

I'm not to bad at programming and would love to help in implementing some of these features if they aren't already done.

Thanks in advance
Rich

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
Re: DVD Ripping
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 01:53:59 pm »
 :)
I can answer about the DVD ripping. It goes out and gets the data from Amazon.com.
It rips the DVD as an exact replica of the original, meaning menus, previews, and the lot. The files range in size from 4G to 8G depending on the amount of content on the DVD.

As to the RAID question. Most people I have seen posting about it, simply use LMCE's built in software RAID. I do not use this feature, but there are posts through out the forums, and a wiki article on setup.

Perhaps someone else can add more about the RAID bits.

Welcome aboard,

Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

tricky_dicky

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 01:57:21 pm »
Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply. I thought it might do something like that and I presume it also grabs things like cover art?

I'll have to have a play with the raid because I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Almost all of the better cards will run under Linux it would just be a case of making sure I had all the right drivers and away it goes.

Regards to doing some developing, is there anywhere in particular that needs work at the moment that I could help someone with?

Rich

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 02:15:32 pm »
 ;)
Yes, I am sorry. The grab gets a huge bit of info. This includes cover art, synopsis, actors, ratings, screen format, and just a whole lot of info.

As to the development of the LinuxMCE, if you have access to an irc client, irssi, konversation, kopete, etc, go to irc.freenode.net, the channels for everyone and support are #linuxmce and the developers channel, I think is #linuxmce-devel, don't quote me on that one.

There is also a forum for development but if you pop your head into #linuxmce, tell them you wish to help develope the project, you will be presented with a host of replies.

Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth