Author Topic: Qt Now LGPL  (Read 7044 times)

MediaEngineer

• Douchebag
    • View Profile
Qt Now LGPL
« on: January 15, 2009, 12:24:32 am »
Nokia announced that Qt is now LGPL. Does that change remove any dependencies of LinuxMCE on the PPL or any other non-GPL license? Even if there remain some dependencies on non-GPL licenses, does Qt under LGPL remove any of them?

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Qt Now LGPL
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 12:57:56 am »
Not really, you would have to completely rewrite the Orbiter which is much more than just a UI, and a huge piece of code. Plus there are other pieces of LMCE unrelated to the UI that are covered by PPL. Why are you worried about PPL? It should only effect you if you intend to sell complete media/HA solutions bundled with hardware. Other than that, it has no effect on your usage of the system.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 06:13:10 am »
LinuxMCE proper does not use ANY of KDE or Qt whatsoever.

The only exception is the Launch Manager.

-Thom

MediaEngineer

• Douchebag
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 04:33:45 pm »
Not really, you would have to completely rewrite the Orbiter which is much more than just a UI, and a huge piece of code.

I'm confused now: does the Orbiter use Qt? If not, what toolkit is the onscreen GUI built on? I thought all the old discussions of "UI3" were prioritizing Qt, because of some new Qt innovations (in KDE4). Maybe that was just because Aaron of Pluto was interested in cutting some deal with TrollTech (that I think never happened), and UI3 is still just an occasional discussion.

Not really, you would have to completely rewrite the Orbiter which is much more than just a UI, and a huge piece of code. Plus there are other pieces of LMCE unrelated to the UI that are covered by PPL. Why are you worried about PPL? It should only effect you if you intend to sell complete media/HA solutions bundled with hardware. Other than that, it has no effect on your usage of the system.

I'm generally interested in seeing any project come under a single license. I'd also like to see companies sponsor LinuxMCE which sell HW bundled with it, because they have the money and project management to move it along, market it to increase its popularity (which makes the community larger, which means more help and contributions).

I also think that the Orbiter code, which I've looked at (its messaging and network API, not its GUI), would be easier to upgrade if its UI were a discrete presentation layer, and not as integrated with the PPL code. The Pluto code remaining in LinuxMCE that I saw (in 0710) was written very badly, hard to trace or maintain.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 04:54:25 pm »
Orbiter does not use Qt.

Why don't you actually dig into src/Orbiter ... spend some time looking at the code... and then come back to the discussion?

Your comments basically state that you are completely clueless as to what's actually going on underneath.

-Thom

p.s. You may want to check out everything in the Programmers Guide category on the wiki. There are various articles relating to the design of the rendering classes in orbiter which should shed some light on its design.
\
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 04:56:59 pm by tschak909 »

MediaEngineer

• Douchebag
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 10:34:37 pm »
Orbiter does not use Qt.

Why don't you actually dig into src/Orbiter ... spend some time looking at the code... and then come back to the discussion?

Your comments basically state that you are completely clueless as to what's actually going on underneath.

-Thom

p.s. You may want to check out everything in the Programmers Guide category on the wiki. There are various articles relating to the design of the rendering classes in orbiter which should shed some light on its design.
\

Well, telling me that the Orbiter would need recoding when I asked about Qt was a clue that sent me off in the wrong direction. I'll look to the code rather than the forums for more info.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 11:42:51 pm »
Actually, that was me that told you that, as that was my understanding - thom is the expert on this. The reason I said that is because the Orbiter isn't based on Qt (as Thom pointed out) so all that would need to be redone. Plus the Orbiter contains a lot of other functional logic that isn't related to rendering graphics and stuff, but to DCE messaging etc.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 11:06:22 am »
Not really, you would have to completely rewrite the Orbiter which is much more than just a UI, and a huge piece of code.

I'm confused now: does the Orbiter use Qt? If not, what toolkit is the onscreen GUI built on? I thought all the old discussions of "UI3" were prioritizing Qt, because of some new Qt innovations (in KDE4). Maybe that was just because Aaron of Pluto was interested in cutting some deal with TrollTech (that I think never happened), and UI3 is still just an occasional discussion.

I'm generally interested in seeing any project come under a single license. I'd also like to see companies sponsor LinuxMCE which sell HW bundled with it, because they have the money and project management to move it along, market it to increase its popularity (which makes the community larger, which means more help and contributions).

I also think that the Orbiter code, which I've looked at (its messaging and network API, not its GUI), would be easier to upgrade if its UI were a discrete presentation layer, and not as integrated with the PPL code. The Pluto code remaining in LinuxMCE that I saw (in 0710) was written very badly, hard to trace or maintain.

Your name is Matthew isn't it?
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 11:23:51 am »
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

ddamron

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 03:31:13 pm »
+1
The only intuitive interface is the nipple.  After that it's all learned.
My other computer is your windows box.
I'm out of my mind.  Back in 5 minutes.
Q:  What's Red and smells like blue paint?

A:  Red Paint.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 11:01:04 pm »
Thank you for confirming the IP-numbers match Hari.  I've got a nack for recognizing dumbass motherfuckers who are stupid enough to think nobody will notice when they start a new account under another name.

Just in case anyone is wondering, Matthew is a fucking clueless arsehole wasting everyone's time with his moronic bullshit.  Meanwhile badmouthing us behind our backs on his shitty blog (which nobody reads anyway), piss off loser!
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous