Author Topic: Building for 0810  (Read 66792 times)

MediaEngineer

• Douchebag
    • View Profile
Re: Building for 0810
« Reply #120 on: January 15, 2009, 04:26:46 pm »
Instead of copy/pasting 2 wiki pages together, it would be way more helpful if you actually tried the alpha1 release and shared your own experience.  There is no added value in lumping these together whatsoever.

Did you delete the combined alpha wiki article that I created?
Yes, that is what we do with redundant pages.  And merely pasting two pages together without adding anything is not what I 'd call something you "created".

The page I created was not redundant to the other separate pages. As I explained in this thread, I factored out the problems from the different alpha versions that were before combined into one ambiguous shared section into a separate section for each version. That separation made it possible for developers, testers and trackers to tell whether an issue was resolved or not in a given version, and made it easier to report confirmations or changes. Which encourages other people to help the development, testing and reporting. Which at least one major developer was grateful for:
fantastic... thank you so much, for doing that.

-Thom

I see you often complain that people make requests according to their own interests for developers to work on for them, instead of helping. Yet when I did a little work to assist the alpha development, to help people contribute or to use the contributions, you unilaterally destroyed my contribution. Even though it at worst did no harm. That's a bad way to work together to move this project forward.

That page was in fact completely redundant since it contained no extra information whatsoever other then was already on the seperate pages that you pasted together.  If this is all the "assistance" you have to offer, then please don't bother.  Neither did I "destroy" anything as you so dramaticly put it since all the information that was on it is still in the wiki on the original pages that you copied it from (proving once more that it was indeed totally redundant). 

Disambiguation is nonredundant. The structure splitting known issues per version was structural info facilitating testing/revision that is now lost. Not only did you unilaterally decide no one should have that utility, but you did so even after seeing fellow a developer publicly thank me for doing it.

Your defensiveness that denies these facts is part of your attitude that is counterproductive to a team working together on this project. And I am far from the first to say so in these forums, which decreases the chances that anyone will join the team, even to contribute just a little - which collectively goes a long way.

Dude, get a life of your own.

This message is my last in what you have now converted to a pure flamewar, missing any points relevant to this project. I will not make the same mistake.

Your insult shows exactly what the problem is here: you think that LinuxMCE is your life, and no one else who doesn't agree with you is welcome in it. You flame people all the time, especially new appearances who you drive from the project forever, when they make a request that you say doesn't meet your priorities. Which is bad enough, driving away people who, if encouraged, could produce more code contributors and others necessary to making a project move quicker than LinuxMCE has moved in its several years. t's currently not even finally released 0710, which is over a year behind schedule, so much that 0810 is several months old, still (insistently) early alpha, and showing few if any signs that it will be released before Ubuntu 0904 is released - or even when 0710 will ever be released. If there were two or three more people making contributions, that would effectively double the team. But who wants to work with you? Only the other diehards, whose work deserves praise not just for its work product, but for their tolerating your endless, often arbitrary abuse of people coming to the project, which deprives them of help, deprives us all of completing some versions sometime.

My life includes working on LinuxMCE when I can, just like anyone else. LinuxMCE is not exclusively your life, for you to kick people out of when they contribute something that you don't value (but others with standing do value). I say this not because I want to continue your flamewar, or because I expect that you'll agree, or even listen. But maybe sometime down the road you might recognize why something is going wrong for you, because this message explains it, and you might be less inclined to slam down again. For your sake, and for the sake of any project you're working on, I hope so.

You may now dismiss me with some conceited insult. I will not respond.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 15, 2009, 04:31:49 pm »
Actually, MediaEngineer. 0710 was released, we just never changed the name from RC2 to release.

But, you're in with the developers enough to know that, right?

;)

Please fellas, STOP this. It serves no purpose.

MediaEngineer, if you actually want to help, get in and listen to what's going on in the #linuxmce-devel channel. We have our task lists, and things we are doing... Look on Trac....

And perhaps take a task and deal with it... Then and only then, would I personally listen to any criticism.

Until then, shut the fuck up.

-Thom

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 15, 2009, 05:41:46 pm »
Instead of copy/pasting 2 wiki pages together, it would be way more helpful if you actually tried the alpha1 release and shared your own experience.  There is no added value in lumping these together whatsoever.

Did you delete the combined alpha wiki article that I created?
Yes, that is what we do with redundant pages.  And merely pasting two pages together without adding anything is not what I 'd call something you "created".

The page I created was not redundant to the other separate pages. As I explained in this thread, I factored out the problems from the different alpha versions that were before combined into one ambiguous shared section into a separate section for each version. That separation made it possible for developers, testers and trackers to tell whether an issue was resolved or not in a given version, and made it easier to report confirmations or changes. Which encourages other people to help the development, testing and reporting. Which at least one major developer was grateful for:
fantastic... thank you so much, for doing that.

-Thom

I see you often complain that people make requests according to their own interests for developers to work on for them, instead of helping. Yet when I did a little work to assist the alpha development, to help people contribute or to use the contributions, you unilaterally destroyed my contribution. Even though it at worst did no harm. That's a bad way to work together to move this project forward.

That page was in fact completely redundant since it contained no extra information whatsoever other then was already on the seperate pages that you pasted together.  If this is all the "assistance" you have to offer, then please don't bother.  Neither did I "destroy" anything as you so dramaticly put it since all the information that was on it is still in the wiki on the original pages that you copied it from (proving once more that it was indeed totally redundant). 

Disambiguation is nonredundant. The structure splitting known issues per version was structural info facilitating testing/revision that is now lost. Not only did you unilaterally decide no one should have that utility, but you did so even after seeing fellow a developer publicly thank me for doing it.

Your defensiveness that denies these facts is part of your attitude that is counterproductive to a team working together on this project. And I am far from the first to say so in these forums, which decreases the chances that anyone will join the team, even to contribute just a little - which collectively goes a long way.

Dude, get a life of your own.

This message is my last in what you have now converted to a pure flamewar, missing any points relevant to this project. I will not make the same mistake.

Your insult shows exactly what the problem is here: you think that LinuxMCE is your life, and no one else who doesn't agree with you is welcome in it. You flame people all the time, especially new appearances who you drive from the project forever, when they make a request that you say doesn't meet your priorities. Which is bad enough, driving away people who, if encouraged, could produce more code contributors and others necessary to making a project move quicker than LinuxMCE has moved in its several years. t's currently not even finally released 0710, which is over a year behind schedule, so much that 0810 is several months old, still (insistently) early alpha, and showing few if any signs that it will be released before Ubuntu 0904 is released - or even when 0710 will ever be released. If there were two or three more people making contributions, that would effectively double the team. But who wants to work with you? Only the other diehards, whose work deserves praise not just for its work product, but for their tolerating your endless, often arbitrary abuse of people coming to the project, which deprives them of help, deprives us all of completing some versions sometime.

My life includes working on LinuxMCE when I can, just like anyone else. LinuxMCE is not exclusively your life, for you to kick people out of when they contribute something that you don't value (but others with standing do value). I say this not because I want to continue your flamewar, or because I expect that you'll agree, or even listen. But maybe sometime down the road you might recognize why something is going wrong for you, because this message explains it, and you might be less inclined to slam down again. For your sake, and for the sake of any project you're working on, I hope so.

You may now dismiss me with some conceited insult. I will not respond.

Bla bla bla, I can't even be bothered to read all your winging anymore.  Now was there even one thing on that page that wasn't  in the wiki already? No? Then STFU you arrogant piece of dead weight baggage. 

The last thing we need is another huge mess like all the different pages on building the source, or did you forget complaining about that too?  Or how about we paste all the wiki pages together so that everyone won't have to look around and can easily find all the info "conveniently" on a single page.  ::)

Now I've got a good mind to skip this weeks update and let you and your big mouth handle it, good luck with that! :P  Otherwise, don't let the door hit you on your way out...  And we're really going to miss all these wonderful "contributions" from you!  (can you even name a single one?)

« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 05:43:29 pm by Zaerc »
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous