Author Topic: Question/request for 810  (Read 7589 times)

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Question/request for 810
« on: January 14, 2009, 04:52:48 pm »
As I understand it, it used to be possible to install and boot a client from an internal hard drive, but in not any longer.  For me it would be very useful to be able to install the 810 MD client on a local hard drive.  Even better would be to have the option to install on a partition for dual booting.  This would allow computers that don't pxe boot to be used.  Nic cards that are not pxe supported, wifi without an extra wap for laptops that move around a lot or for areas without a LAN drop...

If it was possible to install a clean untouched Kubuntu then slap LinuxMCE on top and boot from that as a Media Director I have at least 2 computers I'd immediately start using, my son's desktop and a laptop.  Both of which hang during the pxe boot/install.  The wireless aspect alone would make this a big win for some people.

Allowing for adding LMCE on top of a running Kubuntu may also allow for a wider hardware base, perhaps things like AppleTV or other types of hardware not included in the LMCE install image.

Netbooting a diskless MD is the best way to go, but nothing wrong with more options.

(posting this in users so not to muck up the dev area with user questions, if it belongs elsewhere feel free to move it)

jthodges

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Question/request for 810
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 05:25:12 pm »
skeptic, this was my understanding too, based on this post: http://linuxmce.wordpress.com/2007/09/18/tip-6-add-non-diskless-media-director/

However, I have that very setup (disked 7.10 RC2 MD) installed for one of my MDs that couldn't handle PXE.  I mentioned that in a comment on that post, but the author assured me that it was not possible.  I don't think I did anything special, other than install from CDs (fresh kubuntu 7.10, then Linux MCE CDs).

Have you given it a try in 7.10 and not had it work out?  Just curious.

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 05:54:22 pm »
Hmm...  Interesting.  It is my understanding that this was possible in 704, but didn't work in 710.  In fact, I did try it in 710 with the DVD when I thought that was all that was needed.  I ended up with a second core/md hybrid.  After looking into it I was led to believe it wouldn't work in 710 at all so I never bothered to try the CD version on a fresh Kubuntu install.

Perhaps I'm just misinformed and all that is necessary is to use the CD version of the install on a fresh Kubuntu with matching versions?

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 05:59:33 pm »
no it is not possible, I have read multiple times that this option was taken out.

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 06:05:51 pm »
no it is not possible, I have read multiple times that this option was taken out.

I try not to question the decision of the devs too often, they usually have good reason for the things they do.  In this case I gotta wonder if there was some technical hurdle that drove this.  I can't imagine they decided it was useless and just took it out, or did it as a way to force people to take the correct route with net booting.  Simply put, I'd rather pxeboot but there are times when it just doesn't work (wifi, MD will not pxe boot).  I hope this useful feature comes back.

jthodges

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 06:13:32 pm »
I've read it a number of times too, but honestly, this is how I set it up.  How can I prove that it is set up this way?  I'd be happy to post screencaps tonight if I knew what to grab, so that we can either see that it really does work or see how I am mistaken about the setup.  I'm pretty sure that I installed it that way, but I have to acknowledge that I'm somewhat of a newb and the latter is very possible...

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 06:39:37 pm »
I think there was some technical issue, and the wireless connection was not working very well. I have seen many posts talking about it possibly being included with 8.10 but there was some issues they would have to overcome if I remember correctly. I also have a MD that wont PXE boot, even though it ran just fine as my core for about a month... i feel your frustration.

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 10:22:21 pm »
If you have a PC that will not network boot then you can make a boot disk for it that boots off floppy/CD/USB or whatever that simply does the PXE boot for you.

There is a website that allows you to enter the chipset of your network card and then gives you a disk image to download which will do PXE boot. I don't have the site handy but it has been posted about previously on this forum or search for it.

I have used it with a few machines where I have added a seperate network card and therefore the bios did not support network booting. It is actually quite handy as if you want to use the machine as normal just eject the floppy or CD etc...

Hope that helps

Darren

jimmejames

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 10:30:02 pm »
I had the same problem with this MB:  http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/SOYO_P4RC350

I put what I did at the bottom of the page- basically (as darrenmason just said) got a bootdisk and used that to get PXE running....

Looks like the link changed- I think this is the latest stable release:
http://rom-o-matic.net/gpxe/gpxe-0.9.6/contrib/rom-o-matic/

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 10:33:15 pm »
jthodges - it would be a good idea for you to post the approach you used. I have seen tell of a method, so I don't think it is impossible, I recall something about using the CDs and a little hacking....

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 11:17:18 pm »
The disked MD was taken out as a regular option from lmce. However, I have seen multiple people having success installing lmce on a computer within the .80. subnet with an existing core, and that way achieving a disked MD.

rgds
Oliver

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 01:06:24 am »
If you have a PC that will not network boot then you can make a boot disk for it that boots off floppy/CD/USB or whatever that simply does the PXE boot for you.

There is a website that allows you to enter the chipset of your network card and then gives you a disk image to download which will do PXE boot. I don't have the site handy but it has been posted about previously on this forum or search for it.

I have used it with a few machines where I have added a seperate network card and therefore the bios did not support network booting. It is actually quite handy as if you want to use the machine as normal just eject the floppy or CD etc...

Hope that helps

Darren

Any idea on if this works with wifi?  I'm guessing no, but maybe???

The disked MD was taken out as a regular option from LinuxMCE. However, I have seen multiple people having success installing LinuxMCE on a computer within the .80. subnet with an existing core, and that way achieving a disked MD.

rgds
Oliver
Any talk on putting it back?  Any more info on this approach?  When I tried this with the DVD install it didn't work at all, but if the trick is to install Kubuntu 7.10 then use the CD install disks I'm willing to download all those isos and give it a shot.  I have an older laptop that I'd love to put in my youngest son's room as a MD. 

jthodges

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 01:12:37 am »
skeptic, I'm currently trying to reproduce it on a virtual.  I'll post my results here.

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 01:21:21 am »
skeptic, I'm currently trying to reproduce it on a virtual.  I'll post my results here.

cool, thanks dude.  If you get it to work I'll get to downloading and see if I can get it to work over wifi.  It's not practical for everyone to always have wired MDs, if this approach will get a wifi only MD working it would probably benefit a number of people.

jthodges

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 02:26:27 am »
Well, I haven't installed yet, but this screenshot is pretty telling ...  This is the first screen of the installer.

(oh and please ignore the embarrassing flailing about for the installer - it didn't show up on my desktop and I couldn't figure out where to find it!)

Since it looks pretty clear that it is supported, I probably won't bother continuing with the install unless you request it (though I wouldn't mind).  I'm afraid I can't provide much info about wifi, but at least you know it's worth the d/l.