Author Topic: DVD ISO Files  (Read 3413 times)

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
DVD ISO Files
« on: January 16, 2009, 02:17:11 pm »
Will Linux MCE play .iso files of DVD's that I have ripped?
Core: Broken :(

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
Re: DVD ISO Files
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 02:23:32 pm »
 :)
Yes.

I usually end up converting mine to .iso files, so they work better with my xbox and xboxmc. When xboxmc tries to play a .dvd file, it chokes on itself. However, when they are changed to .iso files, it plays smoothly in LMCE and XboxMC.

Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 02:47:08 pm »
I am having a heck of a time ripping this movie to Iso or dvd from multiple systems. Anyone know of a good cracking software for Mac or Linux? I am working with older dvd burners so I don't know for sure if I am running into hardware limitations as well. When I go to copy disk from LMCE it starts to, but then it just sits there all day. Other dvd's copy fine.
I am now trying to make an ISO using ubuntu 8.04 and it seems like it gets started on the progress bar and then sits there... forever.... I am starting to think this dvd is protected somehow... which never seemed to matter before.

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 03:15:34 pm »
for tougher DVDs I usually use K9Copy on my desktop computer, then transfer it onto my software RAID. About 20% of newer discs for me will not copy with LMCE, even if left for days. For these ones, there has only been a few that K9 couldn't deal with

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 03:53:28 pm »
K9 Seems to be working.. slowly, but surely...
Thank you

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 05:56:14 pm »
Supposedly dd_rescue is pretty reliable about ripping DVDs to .iso.  There is also ddrescue which is a slightly different version of basically the same thing.  I don't know much about them.

Personally I haven't found a single DVD that the current versions of VLC and/or HandBrake can't rip.  However, these just rip the movie, not the full iso.  Technically VLC doesn't rip it plays to a file, but when pulling a movie off a DVD the end result is the same.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 11:28:14 pm »
You guys do realize that you are discussing breaking the laws in your own country here, right?
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 12:09:37 am »
Anyone know of a good cracking software for Mac or Linux?
Information shall be free. Unfortunately we cannot put our hosting at risk. There should be plenty of room in the world wide web to discuss those topics.

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation