Author Topic: NVIDIA settings are not working after reboot  (Read 2697 times)

itsmeok

• Veteran
    • View Profile
NVIDIA settings are not working after reboot
« on: January 14, 2009, 03:17:59 pm »
I have an Asus VT8420 VGA card (TI4200) connected to my TV with SVHS. After installing the latest drivers from NVIDIA that I found for this card 96..... I was able to run the NVIDIA settings tool. I was able to get the picture nice steady on my screen. When I reboot and go back to my KDE desktop the screen is not steady anymore (lines move). Just opening the NVIDIA settings tool solves this (settings are still in there). Does anyone have an idea on what is going on or how to solve this.

Since installing this I also lost my screen on my VGA screen and it does not come back even when opening the AVWizard at start up. The initial Kubuntu screen is visable on the monitor.

Hope someone recognizes this and can help me solve it

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
Re: NVIDIA settings are not working after reboot
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 04:31:54 pm »
There is a section of this wiki article that I did, that explains how to load your nvidia-settings on a reboot.

Now that you have exited the program, you should have a file in /root called

.nvidia-settings-rc

This is the file we will load along with lmce_launch_manager.sh on boot, or reboot.

Now it is time to get this file to load persitantly on all reboots, and boots.

Again as user root:

sudo -i
vi /usr/pluto/bin/lmce_launch_manager.sh

You will see a line in there:

KDE_DEBUG=1

Before this line add the line:

/usr/bin/nvidia-settings --load-config-only &

This will invoke nvidia-settings to load your newly configured "nvidia-settings-rc"

There is probably a cleaner way to do this, but it is how I have been doing it since I started using LMCE. I am sure there is a way to add it to rc.local, as a script. If you google adding startup scripts to kde, you may find some good info. But the above has worked for me in the past. Also very helpful for properly setting overscan and such.

Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

itsmeok

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: NVIDIA settings are not working after reboot
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 10:02:18 pm »
Just as a reply to this post. I did not get this to work through the Wiki page.