Author Topic: How does LinuxMCE display Tv Shows?  (Read 2854 times)

oxymoron08

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
How does LinuxMCE display Tv Shows?
« on: January 13, 2009, 10:56:04 pm »
Hi,

I'am just wondering how LinuxMCE handles Tv shows of the Divx variety downloaded of the internet. Does it put them in folders like: Series/Season/*episode.avi

How does it work?

Hope people can help me.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: How does LinuxMCE display Tv Shows?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 12:01:49 am »
There is a screencast by Tschak that highlights the media system.

It does not put them in directory hierarchy.

rgds
Oliver

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 01:11:05 am »
LMCE isn't a torrent download engine (although you can do it) - so it doesn't "handle" them at all in the sense you mean.

You download the files, and put them into whatever directory structure you like under the LMCE media folders. Either locally or preferably on a network share.

The way LMCE presents them to you depends on how you use the UI. You can do it the simple way, and choose Filename sort mode in the media browser and this will display your media using the folder structure you created. Or you can do it the more sophisticated way and tag your media properly - then you can use other sort modes like Performer, Title, Album, etc, and this will then group your media via those attributes and effectively create a "virtual" hierarchy based on the tags.

This sort by tags does not currently include the option to sort by TV series/episode, etc but there has been much discussion of that I and expect that once 0810 is released, someone will add that mode.

oxymoron08

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 11:04:07 am »
ok thanks guys. I dont think my original post was that clear, but you both answered my question in the end.

I was after how linuxmce presents the Tv series when browsing the GUI. So it seems it can present each folder or I can search by name?

So can it display like this /TV Shows/ Battlestar Galactica/ Season 4/ episode1.avi
                                                / Lost/ Season 4/ episode1.avi

OR

is it all based off searching? like I would have to type in Lost for it to bring up all 4 seasons of lost. like 60 episodes and I have to find each one I want to watch? I suppose the success of this search depends on how well I have labelled these shows. :)

EDIT: found the screencast, so going to watch part 1 and part 2, hope it sheds some light for me.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 11:07:38 am by oxymoron08 »

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 10:23:37 pm »
Yes you can present by folder as I described - this is a "browsing" view, and click down through the levels. Or you can "search" which doesn't require clicking down levels.

As I say, you can also tag and browse via those. Failing having a TV Series tag view at the moment, you could easily tag your TV series with a Genre attribute and make the Genre "Battlestar Galactica" or "Lost" etc and then browse by Genre.