Author Topic: Terratec C PCI HD DVB-C Card in PCI-X Slot using LinuxMCE 0710  (Read 16057 times)

mannheim

• View Profile
Re: Terratec C PCI HD DVB-C Card in PCI-X Slot using LinuxMCE 0710
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2009, 01:05:49 pm »
hi again.

the jusst.de mantis driver doesn't install at all. compiling and make install runs well without interrupt or error messages. however, after reboot the card is only in lspci, no modules loaded or no dmesg output.

due to "Kernel 2.6.28 released on 24.12.2008 works with the mantis driver in the s2-liplianin repository." i wasted several days now.

installing with the s2api mantis driver the card starts, dmesg output is there and i can watch tv :D
though with some little picture errors.

so now what? the s2api in the standard lmce kernel (2.6.24 iirc ?) ? i don't understand this...

hope anybody could bring me light into the darkness :D

greetings
mannheim

cirion

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2009, 04:25:45 pm »
If you really want to know what's happening, google it...

But in short, It was a big fight, that lasted for years, and then in the end a group went together and made S2API.

S2API is the new standard for DVB and it is included in the latest kernel.

Installing the S2API driver from s2-liplianin repository works fine in older kernels, but this does not mean that the software you want to use the card with supports S2API.

Since you now are using LinuxMCE and it is using versions of VDR and Kaffeine that has no S2API support, you cannot use S2API drivers. For now there is no stable version of VDR or Kaffeine that has support for S2API. For now, forget S2API and use the Mantis driver.

You could be the one that makes the support for S2API in LinuxMCE...

mannheim

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2009, 05:37:29 pm »
ok, but why then did a have a life tv signal withhin lmce / vdr ? ... thats the point i don't understand.
i even could change channels without a crash...

i've found a patch for s2-api support for vdr 1.7 ... is it possible to implement the 1.7 into lmce?

thx

cirion

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2009, 09:26:33 pm »
i've found a patch for s2-api support for vdr 1.7 ... is it possible to implement the 1.7 into LinuxMCE?
Hmm... Am I talking to a Wall here?!?
Did you even read THIS thread?

All the answers to that question is in this tread....
Please read it again... There are 2 pages now...

mannheim

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2009, 10:44:58 pm »
i'm sorry cirion, but maybe i just understood not everything? comes that to your mind or is linux now a days self-explaining?
i'll try my best to get that damn thing running and your style like i'm so clever so you idiot lern to read doesn't really help.

ok, in conclusion: kernel is too old for s2-api,ok ... therefor also no need in upgrading vdr to 1,7, right? but why then do the s2 api drivers work (with little picture failures) in standard lmce 0710?

i've read in the wiki about upgrading the kernel. should i give it a try, and when yes, to which version might be the possibly best one?

thx for your time.

cirion

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2009, 07:48:35 am »
i'm sorry cirion, but maybe i just understood not everything? comes that to your mind or is linux now a days self-explaining? i'll try my best to get that damn thing running and your style like i'm so clever so you idiot lern to read doesn't really help.
Hehe... READ AGAIN! What I'm trying to say by READ AGAIN! is exactly that. You did not read this thread again did you? I'm going to help you find what I was pointing at...

I guess, the biggest problem is that VDR and MythTV for LMCE is the stable releases, and the patches are made for the developer versions...

Here is the patch for VDR 1.70:
http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/vdr/2008-October/018061.html

Here is 2 Wikis for S2API and MythTV:
http://dolot.kipdola.com/index.php?title=Install_S2API
http://dolot.kipdola.com/index.php?title=Install_MythTV

S2API is already supported in the latest kernel 2.6.28, and for those cards that made it into the first release, work out of the box. I do not know when Kubuntu will get this kernel.

To see what cards made it, and a bit more info on S2API read this wiki:
http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/S2API

VDPAU support from Nvidia requires the lates driver for Linux:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_180.22.html

Then Xine, Mplayer, VLC, Mythtv and VDR needs to support it...
I found a guide for VDR 1.70 with VDPAU:
http://blog.mymediasystem.net/avchd/vdr-xine-with-vdpa/

ok, in conclusion: kernel is too old for s2-api,ok ... therefor also no need in upgrading vdr to 1,7, right? but why then do the s2 api drivers work (with little picture failures) in standard LinuxMCE 0710?

i've read in the wiki about upgrading the kernel. should i give it a try, and when yes, to which version might be the possibly best one?
I'm not shure the Kernel is too old... If you installed S2API, and the newer scan tools Scan and Szap, you can try scanning a new Channels.conf. If that works, there is nothing wrong with the kernel used in 7.10.

What remains the problem, is the lack of support for S2API in VDR and Kaffeine. And Oliver wrote a reply to my post (yes in this thread):
I guess, the biggest problem is that VDR and MythTV for LMCE is the stable releases, and the patches are made for the developer versions...

yes. But the interesting part is, with 0810 you will no longer need a special LinuxMCE VDR version, even though we provide one. Right now you can, after installing the LinuxMCE VDR, go and install any other VDR version you like.

If you want to provide some ready made packages for us to include in the LinuxMCE distribution, we will gladly accept those. Unfortunately, right now, I don't think we have the man power, to go after these patches ourselfs.

rgds
Oliver
What this means is that in LMCE 7.10, if you are not developing a new version of VDR for LinuxMCE you will not be able to get VDR 1.7 running. And by not having the correct VDR version to patch, you will not be able to patch it correctly either. The LMCE 7.10 VDR version is based on the VDR 1.6 stable release, and the developers that made that integration will not use the next version of VDR before it is released as a stable.

The next part gets better.... LMCE 8.10 according to Oliver, will let you use whatever version of VDR you want, probably because the new VDR integration does not use the VDR source itself, but is talking to whatever VDR version is installed.

Now this is why I ask you to either use the Mantis driver for having TV now in LMCE 7.10 or wait for LMCE 8.10 when this might be sorted. You could try using LMCE 8.10, but there is no support for the Alpha version and I'm not having much luck with it yet. I have not yet come to the point where I am trying VDR in 8.10. First I have to sort my resolution problems and figure out how to find my RAID.

mannheim

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2009, 10:07:01 am »
ok that made thinks a bit more clear. though i still don't understand why than the s2-lipliani driver works for me in normale lmce 0710 environment?
btw, i tried to install the multiproto mantis in 2 different systems with lmce. the result was no dmesg output at all.

will give 0810 a try...

btw i recommend sw-raid in linux though you have a real raid controller like rocketraid or sth.

thx,
mannheim

cirion

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2009, 12:48:45 pm »
The driver works, since you have compiled and installed it for 7.10. But the software (VDR or Mythtv) does not know about this driver, since it is using a new API called S2API. This API was released 1 month ago in the latest linux kernel. VDR and Mythtv supports Multiproto wich is the API that the Mantis driver uses. If you want to know more about why Multiproto never got integrated in the kernel you will have to google it.

The Raid I am using is SW raid from 7.10. And sadly it is not detected in 8.10. I can browse it in KDE....
But right now I'm installing a fresh 8.10 so it might work...

mannheim

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2009, 04:01:01 pm »
hi again...

if someone has the same problem here a info how the card really works in my case.

first install the mantis driver, reboot.
than install the s2-liplianin driver, reboot.

tadaa... dmesg | grep -i dvb brings the correct output. channel scanning works. and live tv in lmce with vdr works, too ... all without cam module, didn't tested that because our provider don't scrambles the channels. (except of pay-tv of course)

if someone has a explanation for that behaviour i would be glad to know that ... or maybe some improvement suggestions ... :)

so long,
mannheim