I too had these problems as I found in several threads. I finally solved the problem. The installation instructions in the Wiki will work--with one caveat listed below--but the initial setup seems to be very unforgiving. If you make a mistake in the initial setup of the template especially at the step where you add the ruby code, it seems like there is no way to correct it but delete the template and start over. At least in my case, that is what worked. Here are the instructions that I used to delete the template:http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Share_IR_Codes
Be careful to read and absorb what is involved in the step where you remove the "offending" elements once you get out of mysql. In my case, I ran this step three times: the first time telling it not to delete anything just to see what it found. The second time to delete the obvious things, and the third time to check that I had not missed anything. My core still lost some of the connections to file servers on my network, but it re-established them through pnp subsequently.
While I don't know whether it really makes and difference, on the template set-up procedure I used that worked, I copied and pasted the Ruby codes into the appropriate fields from a text file that is supplied in this thread:http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=7054.15
Insteon_Final.txt posted by ccoudsi as an attachment
There was some discussion that copying from the html page in the wiki directly was a problem. Just to be safe I used the supplied text file and it worked.
CAVEAT in the wiki instructions:
Finally, the one problem I found in the Wiki instructions is that it appears that "b4" is no longer broken in 7.10 and it does automatically write the group to the mysql table "InfraredGroup" in the "pluto_main" database. However, it is not writing the data as described in how to insert the data manually. What I did before saving the ruby codes and closing the template, after I had the "Insteon PLM" group show up in the correct field was to use phpMyAdmin to go to that entry (it will be on the last page of the table--the only one with "Insteon PLM" as the description) and change the "FK_CommMethod" from "1" which it wrote automatically, to "2" as is outlined in the manual method of inserting the record. The way the table is set up now, it will NOT accept "Null" values in some of the fields that are specified in the manual insertion script--such as "psc_mod". I didn't go back and check to see if this prevented the manual insertion script from over-writing the record as was outlined in the Wiki. All I know is that by changing the one value and following the other instructions outlined in the wiki and as amended above I got it to work.
I guess my last words of encouragement are that you need to be patient and methodical to get this done. As in many of the steps in setting up LinuxMCE it seems painfully slow--you are better off doing the steps in the instructions and then coming back a few hours later to see if it worked--for example, recognizing and setting up a simple on-off light switch through pnp in LinuxMCE took more than 30 minutes to be fully functional.
Hope this helps.