Author Topic: Noob install problems....  (Read 6848 times)

archangel

• View Profile
Noob install problems....
« on: January 11, 2009, 12:45:59 pm »
Hi all

Noob here!

I have tried to install LinuxMCE but keep having problems so will go through the list in case I am missing something really basic!

Tried the DVD install, but I cannot write to dual layer DVD's so cannot burn to a DVD!

Install Kubuntu 8.10, installed ok on about 3rd attempt, but really slow!

After this I tried to install MCE, but could only install the installer, which did nothing when I clicked on it. Having read the installation manual, I realised that it was probably because I had Kubuntu 8.10 on, so downloaded a copy of 7.10.

This boots fine when I try the option to  try Kubuntu, I can run and get into the desktop, but when I click on the "Install" option, the installation freezes at the "Checking file system" stage and I have to reboot. Tried this several times, including the OEM and "skip this step" options, but the installer still freezes!

Figuring that I would give up and use Elisa instead, I installed Ubuntu 8.10, this installed perfectly and runs smoothly. Figuring it was worth a try, I have tried to install MCE on Ubuntu. The installer runs and asks me for all the CD iso's, which are all on the desktop. However, after selecting all the iso's, the installer then flags and error that it cannot cache Linux MCE disc 1.

I know I have gone a long and round about path to this! So......

• Is it possible to install MCE onto Ubuntu?
  • If not, should I try re-installing it on Kubuntu 8.10?
  • If the install has to be on Kubuntu 7.10, why does 7.10 not install correctly? (though I realise this may be the wrong forum for this question!)

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Lee

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Noob install problems....
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 02:35:20 pm »
Tried the DVD install, but I cannot write to dual layer DVD's so cannot burn to a DVD!

There's a single side DVD, 1 disc... you don't need the double sided version at all.

Install Kubuntu 8.10, installed ok on about 3rd attempt, but really slow!

LinuxMCE 7.10RC2 is the last official release and it runs under Kubuntu 7.10. If you're using 8.10 you are wasting your time.

If you can install Kubuntu 8.10 on your existing equipment, but you can't install 7.10, then sit back and wait for the 8.10 release of LMCE.

maybeoneday

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 02:38:56 pm »
Hi Archangel, & welcome

1- dvd  should be  single layer ..i386, I believe dual l option has hi def vid and other non-essentials
2- use torrent, confirm checksum, and burn on slowest speed, verify data

this should get you going,if you still have probs, re-post with hardware details,

regards,
Ian

Edit  ..too slow again  ;D
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 02:40:28 pm by maybeoneday »

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 08:26:09 pm »
Edit  ..too slow again  ;D
Maybe one day...  ;)
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

maybeoneday

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 08:31:14 pm »
CORRECT    ;D

hold on , Zaerc,... sense of humour ?

MAYBEONEDAY   ;D

regards
Ian

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 01:59:16 am »
You have no idea...
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

archangel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 06:52:16 pm »
Thanks guys

Having fun trying to download the single layer DVD, but will go down that route....

Lee

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 07:00:02 pm »
Thanks guys

Having fun trying to download the single layer DVD, but will go down that route....

Lee

Do you torrent?

Try using the attached torrent file to download the i386 version of LMCE 7.10RC2

archangel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 09:34:15 pm »
Thanks Freyman

I got the torrent download and have installed, that. I got to the AV Wizard and not get the "Failed to Setup X" problem. Trying to see if I can re run the AV Wizzard and get things set up from there, but can't seem to find it in the /usr/bins file

Will keep looking.....

Lee

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 09:40:46 pm »
I got the torrent download and have installed, that. I got to the AV Wizard and not get the "Failed to Setup X" problem. Trying to see if I can re run the AV Wizzard and get things set up from there, but can't seem to find it in the /usr/bins file

Lee: You can re-run the AV Wizard a few different ways..

From the KDE Desktop, look around the tab, under Video there's something you can click which will force the AV Wizard to execute on your next reboot.

Or, just tell the thing to reboot, and hold down the left shift button after the first set of beeps. You should hear it respond. Then let go the shift button. When it boots it will go into the AV Wizard.

archangel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 10:09:24 pm »
Thanks Freyman

Have tried holding the left shift button, I pressed the left shift down after the first set of beeps, and held it until the Failed to Set Up X screen came on!!

How do I boot into KDE? Only thing I have managed so far is the alt + f2 which gets me into the router log in, and looses me from there!

Lee

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 10:26:12 pm »
Thanks Freyman

Have tried holding the left shift button, I pressed the left shift down after the first set of beeps, and held it until the Failed to Set Up X screen came on!!

There's one set of beeps that go off, and then a bit later then there's a second set. You need to either press/let go, press/let go the left shift key in between the two sets of beeps...

How do I boot into KDE? Only thing I have managed so far is the alt + f2 which gets me into the router log in, and looses me from there!

You can't get into KDE if X failed to set up. I suggest you have a good read through on this page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Display_Drivers

Did you indicate which video card you are using? An older nVidia card seems to be the way to go with 7.10, something in the 6xxx or 7xxx series..

archangel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 10:36:40 pm »

The graphics card is just an integrated graphics card.

The first time I ran after install, the Wizard came up and I selected a resolution, I was adjusting my TV set and the countdown ended, I was chucked out to the router login and have never been able to get back in!

Will try the shift key again....

Thanks for all your help

Lee

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 10:39:47 pm »
The graphics card is just an integrated graphics card.

You need to know what chip it uses!

If you don't know, then you should use UI1.

If you can find out what it uses, then you might be able to figure out if you can use UI2 without overlay, or with overlay, but till then you're shooting in the dark! Stick to UI1.

archangel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 11:19:16 pm »

Was probably going t5o stick to UI1, but haven't even gotten as far the option to set it!

Trying to figure out how to use nano to change the config file......

New to all of this ( in case it wasn't incredibly obvious)

Lee