Author Topic: Stupid IR blaster question  (Read 2716 times)

ajward

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Stupid IR blaster question
« on: January 11, 2009, 01:34:37 am »
Hi,

I have an IRTrans box, and I want to  use it to control my plasma TV in LinuxMCE. I've been through the AVWizard, and it has correctly generated most of the other config.

I have the results of a learning session in a .rem file in /usr/pluto/bin/remotes. I know from previous experience that irserver would happily use the appropriate remote and key when told to. I assume the IRTrans support in LinuxMCE will do no less.

The problem is this: I have set everything up, but where do I tell the system what codeset to use to control the TV?

Surely it is a characteristic of the TV device template, along with "controlled via device category IR". But I can't see how it can work it out automatically, and I can't see where it would be entered.

Sorry if I've missed it in the documentation, but I have had a good look. Honest.

Cheers,
Andy.

maybeoneday

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid IR blaster question
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 10:43:38 am »
Hi Andy,
 look in  Computing->Pluto admin->wizard->devices->av equip-> AV properties, should be what you're looking for,
regards,
Ian,

EDIT

sorry andy didn't read your post correctly,
try adding template for irtrans   ...............Computing->Pluto admin->wizard->devices->interfaces....add device.....................not much on wiki, perhaps you could add it?

SORRY for stupid answer ,(but you did say it was a "stupid ir question" ;D
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 11:14:21 am by maybeoneday »

ajward

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 06:19:05 pm »
Hi Ian,

hmmm. I think you were right the first time. What I think I need to do is to assosocate the IR group with the TV.

I got to the Wizard->Devices->AV Equipment->(PS42S5H)A/V properties page, and it's asking me to choose a Group/Codeset.

I have a code "2007 Samsung LCD/Plasma/DLP" selected, but it doesn't have any codes defined (toggle power, vol+, vol- etc.). They all say click to add.

I try and add them via the learning capability of the IRTrans, and although it flashes green (saying it is hearing something), the learning process never completes (I assume I just leave it on the "learn" radio button and click away - it isn't clear). I'm not going to start translating IRTrans format manually to Pronto format except as a last resort!

Help me choose suggests there are 27 codesets for Samsung TVs. Sounds hopeful. Then it presents me with a wierd screen that talks about selecting a codeset and pressing 'V' or 'T'. Again, looks reasonable, but there is just a list of commands link this...

Infrared Group Toggle Power On Off 1 Vol up Vol down ...

The cursor changes to an I-beam when you hover over them, but V/T don't seem to do anything (no red flash on the IRTrans to suggest it's doing anything with T: no display of codes with V). I presume this screen is to help you select codesets and try them out, but that's not what seems to happen. Surely you should choose the codeset from the test screen.

The irritating thing is that I have a .rem file that contains commands for the TV, and the IRTrans softare is perfectly capable of using it. I just can't get in into LinuxMCE. As it suggests, I can probably use an existing codeset, but I could only do that by testing them one by one. Frankly, I don't find "Pronto Codeset nnn" very helpful as a description.

I must be missing something. If I find out what it is, sure I'll help update the documentation on the Wiki.

If anything else occurs to you (or anyone else) from my ramblings, please feel free to chip in!

Cheers,
Andy Ward.

maybeoneday

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 07:10:14 pm »
andy

have only had a quick look  at IRTrans webpage, but I got the impression it was "self contained"  ie irtrans learned and stored codes ,then  supplied as required,

from wiki

"IR Trans transforms your PC into a programmable remote control: It learns the codes of your remote control, stores them in a database and sends them controlled by your applications."

so I thought it would all be contained in IRTrans template,BUT

Thinking a bit more (still under influence of pain killers),
it would seem,
  and is case with USB_UIRT ,that codes should be learned from within ,(say), TV template...AV properties....
and (device) 'interface'   would pass them along....this assumes that, like usb_uirt, the interface/transceiever  has a template auoto detected. If not, I know (cos i tried it earlier)that there is a device template in the database allready.........wizard .....devices.. interfaces ... add device,
for the IRTrans,

On subject of learning commands, please use new batterries and have remote no further than 2" /40mm
.......from experience with USB_UIRT  learning can otherwise be a bit flaky

Help me choose suggests there are 27 codesets for Samsung TVs. Sounds hopeful. Then it presents me with a wierd screen that talks about selecting a codeset and pressing 'V' or 'T'. Again, looks reasonable, but there is just a list of commands link this...

Infrared Group Toggle Power On Off 1 Vol up Vol down

these are "possibles"... click to try.......i seem to remember  i tried  power/input, got a match , chose that codeset , then went in and learned once my usbuirt arrived.

TBH I get the feeling that we're both missing some basic logic and you need to wait for a guru such as Tschack (to find the 25th hour in the day,and) to point in right direction    ;D

for goodness sake don't give up,(even to get away from my posts) the system is so all encompassing
I'm sure there is a simple answer (forum lists IRTRANS as far back as 2005 so someone must have come across it),

best regards ,
Ian