Author Topic: Telex projector  (Read 3347 times)

Raul102801

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Telex projector
« on: January 13, 2009, 04:07:36 am »
Hi everyone. This is probably a stupid question but I guess I need some help with it.
I have an old telex P170v projector wich works great to watch movies using a portable dvd player, however I would like to be able to use linuxmce with it if possible. I plugged my box into it and got nothing, the projector won't even recognize it. I looked at the specs for the projector http://www.aboutprojectors.com/Telex-P170V-projector.html and apparently the native resolution is 640x480 so I changed the settings on my pc from 1080 to 640x480 and chose the lightweight background just in case but O still don't get anything.
Anything I might be missing? I am leaving the refresh rate at the default value og 60hz

Thanks in advance.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Telex projector
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 04:19:37 am »
You haven't said anything about which input you are using or your video hardware. Please go to the wiki and look at the AV Wizard (and related) pages.

Make sure your video hardware is in the recommended range (nVidia 6200-7300), if it is nVidia hardware outside this, it is less certain, but you are likely going to need to update the drivers - details on that also on those pages.

Take specific notice of how many video chipsets you have (eg it is common to have 2, one onboard that comes with the motherboard, and one on a video card that you have added), and which video out you are using. You could very easily have LMCE using the wrong chipset, or the wrong connector in which case you will obviously get no image. Generally, LMCE in the AV Wizard will default to 640x480 on the first VGA port. This can easily be changed with keyboard short cuts until you get an image - details on the wiki.

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 04:34:39 am »
have you checked this projector on a different pc? maybe a windows one if you are more familiar just to get the setting on it correct. Also you might check the output on the LMCE box with a normal display as well.

Raul102801

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 04:56:31 pm »
Ok, sorry about leaving information out... I wasn't sure what was needed.
Here is waht I found on my card ( I looked it up from my windows particion)
GEForce 7100 NVidia nforce 6800
Firmware 163.95
Driver version 7.15.11.6395
I looked under Windows and the 640x480 is not available so I am not sure if it would under Linux (very new to Linux so be patient with me)

I also looked at the AV pages in the Wiki and read this:

If you hear the beeps but still don't see a picture, it's possible that the display you're using cannot handle 640x480. Press the number 6-9, or 0, as shown below, to select your resolution. Again, 15 seconds later, you should hear the beeps when the A/V Wizard is restarted. If you again need to choose a connector (other than the default VGA), press the 1-5 key (as above) and wait until you hear the beeps again. Repeat as often as needed.

Keys for choosing a resolution:

6: 640x480
7: 1024x768
8: 720p
9: 1080i
0: 1080p

so I am pressing the number 6 key for 15 seconds but nothing happens ( did I understand this correctly? to change resolutions I just press 6-0 for 15 seconds and the resolution will change according to the button pressed? no other key sequence to press along with the number key? )

Sorry if this is deviating from the original question a little, I wanted to make sure I was doing that correctly.

Thanks

Raul102801

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 04:59:10 pm »
To answer your second question, I am using the VGA port on the motherboard. I have not added any video cards to the box. The motherboard has a VGA and a DVI ports and I am using VGA. It has been tested on my TV so I know that is the output being used, not the DVI.

Thanks

nosebreaker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 05:15:40 pm »
Can you plug a monitor into it and see 640x480 screen?  If you can't see anything, can you press Ctrl+Alt+F1 and see the text prompt (Ctrl+Alt+F7 should bring you back to the UI).  Check the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to make sure it has 640x480/60 in there (60Hz), your projector most likely can't do anything else.

As far as UI1/2 goes, the projector can show whatever the video card can, so if you can see UI2 on the monitor you should be able to see UI2 on the projector.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 06:09:05 pm »
Might be worth the effort to read the whole AVWizard page. 
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 11:48:43 pm »
Have you tried any other resolution than 640x480 (ie the 6 key)? From your post you seem to be saying that the projector doesn't have a 640x480 mode.... if so, then there is no point choosing that mode in the AV Wizard

Btw, you don't need to hold the key. Once you are reasonably certain that the wizard is on its first screen, just hit the key and then wait for at least 15 seconds to ensure the AV Wizard has had enough time to restart with the new parameters...

Are you seeing any output at all from the projector? Flickering, anything? What about when the box is booting, do you even see the BIOS POST screen or the Kubuntu loading progress bar?