Author Topic: Winblows Media Center 7 with touch interface video  (Read 8006 times)

skatingn330

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Winblows Media Center 7 with touch interface video
« on: January 10, 2009, 10:32:01 pm »
http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/01/09/video-windows-media-center-7-with-touch-interface/

I hate to admit it but it looks kinda cool.

It would be cool to have a more interact touch interface like this one in LMCE.
Asus m3n78-pro
AMD Phenom 9950 Quad-Core 2.60 GHz
250 gig sata drive x2
Sata Dvd-rw
4 gigs ram
usb-uirt
LinuxMCE 7.10 32 bit
Vista eternity 32 bit

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
Re: Winblows Media Center 7 with touch interface video
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 04:04:56 am »
i like parts of the UI, but the concept of being near the screen to touch it kinda becomes a pain. Ill take my touchscreen ipaq...  :)
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

chipppy

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 08:49:19 am »
Cool idea but personally I HATE finger prints on my screens. 
It is hard enough keeping the kids grotty finger marks off the TV's let alone giving then a reason to leave them there.  At the end of the day a PDA is just as good and if local control is what you want use a fix orbiter type thing to do the job and also control everything else in your house
ASUS P5Q SE/R, Gigabyte 8400GS - Composite TV, 4GB 1066, Intel E8500 3.15GHz dual core, 500GB HDD + 1TG HDD, Divco FusionHDVT DVB-T Digital Dual 4 TV tuner.

'Cry wolf and let slip the dogs of war'

Rukus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 10:11:48 am »
It's a very pretty interface, but like everything Microsoft, it looks bloated and at minimum probably requires a system with gaming specs to operate.  Also, they still have yet to recognize the concept of being all about the media.  Other than that it's cool.  ::)
Core/Generic Hybrid MD
Motherboard: ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core
GPU: GPU: XFX PVT84GUDF3 GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 08:17:10 pm »
Thom:  Can effects of this calibur be done in HAD?  So far I've not found anyway to pull off this type of thing in HAD

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 09:21:20 am »
We have some basic OpenGL effects (specified by the Effect and EffectType tables) which can be selected in HADesigner.

The one primitive that I do see that is missing is some sort of drag callback.

But come on guys, let's not let this be a "oh crap we don't have those features, so let's not do anything at all."

(1) HADesigners, come up with some stuff knowing our limitations, make the most of it!
(2) interested people wanting to hack orbiter, Hack orbiter to add the missing features!

-Thom

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 10:00:26 am »
It's a very pretty interface, but like everything Microsoft, it looks bloated and at minimum probably requires a system with gaming specs to operate.  Also, they still have yet to recognize the concept of being all about the media.  Other than that it's cool.  ::)

At the risk of repeating myself ;-)...

We use ASUS Eee Top touchscreen MD's with UI1 and they work brilliantly in situations like Kitchens or bedrooms where you are already in close proximitiy to the screen and the touch interface just works like a dream. Everyone we have installed them for totally loves them... after 1 minute of use they get it and are sold.

Now UI1 has none of the 'eye candy' that MCE 7 has... but it is fast and responsive and just works really well. Try it and you see what i mean... touch Videos...touch the cover art for a Movie... touch Play...touch the screen while the movie is playing and the on-screen video remote appears instantly...skip a chapter or whatever...then after a few secs your back in the movie full screen. This just blows people away and makes them just feel connected to the system in a way that a remote just cant.

I agree in a lounge or Home Theatre you are not going to walk 10 feet to touch your 60 inch plasma ;-)

But in smaller more intimate rooms the touch interface works really well and they also work well when used to remotely control the main screen in the room too.

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

Steve

• Veteran
  • 16 Years Linux exp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 09:46:36 pm »
This seems like a pretty cool concept, but in my opinion leave the touch screen to the orbitors. until they come out with a touch screen monitor that is fingerprint proof i'll be the first to buy it.
Hybrid core Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R m/b 2.8Ghz 2 gig ram. HVR1600 on the core. 2 Orbiter on Android for control 1 phone the other tablet. Running 10.04

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 06:11:40 pm »
You know... it does "look" kinda cool, but the fact is that other then some of the little effects I think the "look" isn't really all that impressive. It wouldn't be to hard to make a really cool looking UI 1 with a similar theme. The only thing that I thought was really neat was the touch interaction with tv guide. If that could be incorporated into a web pad orbiter now that would be neat. I wouldn't even care for all the fancy flashy graphics, just something really functional and easy to use.
Core: Broken :(