Author Topic: Mix personal pictures with flickr screen saver  (Read 7750 times)

donpaul

• Guru
    • View Profile
Mix personal pictures with flickr screen saver
« on: February 23, 2009, 04:39:24 pm »
I would be nice to pick a third option in the web admin. Have flickr also search a selected photo folder and add those pictures to the flickr screen saver. This way we can mix some personal pictures in with the flickr pictures. I like the random flickr pictures, but would also like to see an occasional personal picture. A check box to enable it in the web admin would be perfect.

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Mix personal pictures with flickr screen saver
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 05:35:16 pm »
There is already an option to add personal pictures, check the wiki or search the forum. There is also an option that I use where lmce pulls pictures from my personal flickr account called flickrfetcher. Flickrfetcher can be configured many different ways for a variety of picture sources.

donpaul

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 06:27:32 pm »
There is already an option to add personal pictures, check the wiki or search the forum. There is also an option that I use where LinuxMCE pulls pictures from my personal flickr account called flickrfetcher. Flickrfetcher can be configured many different ways for a variety of picture sources.

I understand that, and am doing that right now. My suggestion is: have the flickr script pull pictures from a folder if a box is checked on the admin page. That way we don't have to go through and actually select the photos in the web admin every time we want to add photos. Putting pictures in a folder is much simpler and allows for scripting. I can write a script to put pictures in that folder from various sources, and the flickr script then pulls them automatically. Make sense?

There are way to many manual steps in LinuxMCE. Since automatically downloading clip art and attributes has been covered already, I wont get into that.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 09:25:05 pm »
Someone has been working on an auto-tagger that allows you automattically tag all files in a particular folder... this would allow you to do exactly this... hopefully it will make its way into one of the betas...

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 12:02:48 am »
donpaul,

If you are able to write a script that puts files in a certain folder then it is not much harder to actually have those files tagged - and as Colin mentioned I think someone has already done this.
If not, take a look at the flickr.pl script. It basically tags files through a messagesend command. Any script could do the same.

regards
Darren

donpaul

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 02:30:15 am »
donpaul,

If you are able to write a script that puts files in a certain folder then it is not much harder to actually have those files tagged - and as Colin mentioned I think someone has already done this.
If not, take a look at the flickr.pl script. It basically tags files through a messagesend command. Any script could do the same.

regards
Darren

Yes, I know. I already played with the flickr.pl and the MessageSend. But again... the feature request is for a simple check box with a folder location so that the flickr scripts will tag photos in that location. I can script out quite a bit, but that doesn't help other people does it? I am suggesting this so that the app is friendly to the moms and pops. If LinuxMCE is going to appeal to the masses, simple things like this will make the product that much better. Just a suggestion, not a big deal really.

Anyway, colinjones already kindly answered my question. And it is good news.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 02:31:55 am by donpaul »

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 02:54:42 am »
donpaul

Yes, if the code that jthodges gets up into 0810 then I'm sure it won't take a great deal of convincing to have the standard install create a specific "Screensaver" folder under pictures and a default rule for jt's code pointing at that folder so that this is all out of the box, plus can easily be configured to make as many other ss folders as you want. I will monitor the discussions on that code and if it does get up, I will make the suggestion to Thom/Zaerc/Hari/etc....

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 03:10:04 am »
donpaul

Yes, if the code that jthodges gets up into 0810 then I'm sure it won't take a great deal of convincing to have the standard install create a specific "Screensaver" folder under pictures and a default rule for jt's code pointing at that folder so that this is all out of the box, plus can easily be configured to make as many other ss folders as you want. I will monitor the discussions on that code and if it does get up, I will make the suggestion to Thom/Zaerc/Hari/etc....

We already create a /home/public/data/pictures/Our Pictures in our Dianemo 0710 installs. We dont use jt's code currently though.

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk