Author Topic: MY MCE Experience and Final System Configuration  (Read 2416 times)

Marper

• Guru
    • View Profile
MY MCE Experience and Final System Configuration
« on: January 10, 2009, 09:25:20 pm »
First, thanks to all you GURU's that helped me getting this system up and running, I know have a completely stable system.  A little bit about my setup:

CORE -
Core

Case - Cinch 4U Rackmount
ASUS M3N78-EM
8Gb RAM
1 WD HDD WD3200   32Gb
2 WD HDD WD500AAS - 500Gb ea
Anthlon 64 Processor
nVidia Geforce 9600 GT Video
(2) 1gb NIC
Standard VGA Monitor

MD

Case - Silverstone GD01B-MXR
ASUS P5945G
Intel Dual Core
4Gb RAM
No HDD
Nvidia Geforce 9600G
LG Opt Drive
On-board Gb NIC

I started out with an old pentium based system with mixed matched IDE and SATA drives and varying amount of memory for both the Core and MD and did not get the experience I was looking for.  Not trying to compare to the MS trailer, I wanted a system that was all encompassing and minimized the number of devices/hardware located in each of my media rooms.  After all of my experimentation and frustrations, I purchased hardware to build the devices listed above and I am please to say they perform exceptionally well.  I've searched the forum to find a "complete system" configuration that Identified standards for a complete package - I wasn't able to find one.  I'm not sure if I can add this or if the moderator of this forum must, but it would be nice to have a Working Systems Configuration section so that we can all post our systems a not have to search the entire board for it. 

One question that still remains:

Q:  I've installed LMCE on a 320Gb HDD - Is there a minimum requirement for disk and caching for the OS disk space in the core ?

The reason I'm asking, is I was thinking of copying dvds/music to the core OS Disk, but I remembered from one of my other installs that when I had dvd's on the core I ran into loads of problems like:  slow operation if dvd was playing; High CPU usage; other MD's having problems accessing resources if dvd on core Hdd was playing.  It appeared that the core OS Hdd should remain ONLY for the OS and not have any additional files on it that would be/could be used by MD's.  Is this correct ?

Thanks in advance and great job on this software

cirion

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: MY MCE Experience and Final System Configuration
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 11:25:53 pm »
I prefer having one drive for OS, and the data on other drives.
That way the OS drive always have enough space, and does not slow down.

I use a 200GB IDE drive for OS, and 4x750GB sata drives in Raid5 (LinuxMCE software Raid).